A Love Song for Bobby Long (2004)
Average Rating: 5.5/10
Reviews Counted: 100
Fresh: 43 | Rotten: 57
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 5.3/10
Critic Reviews: 31
Fresh: 14 | Rotten: 17
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 22,257
Upon hearing of her mother's death, jaded teenage loner Purslane Hominy Will returns to New Orleans for the first time in years, ready to reclaim her childhood home. Expecting to find her late mother's house abandoned, Pursy is shocked to discover that it is inhabited by two of her mother's friends: Bobby Long, a former literature professor, and his young protege, Lawson Pines. These broken men, whose lives took a wrong turn years before, have been firmly rooted in the dilapidated house for
Dec 29, 2004 Wide
Feb 22, 2005
Lions Gate Releasing - Official Site
Watch It Now
Deborah Kara Unger
Gina "Ginger" Bernal
Douglas M. Griffin
William H. Barnett
Old Man #2
Latest News on A Love Song for Bobby Long
January 6, 2005:John Travolta and James Gandolfini Join Lonely Hearts
November 22, 2004:Lions Gate Looking for a Buyer?
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Traffics in nearly every trite cliche of the 'colorful' South one can think of.
First-time director Shainee Gabel generally does a good job of moving things along, though the story feels disjointed at times.
The movie can't save itself from stewing in some awfully familiar juices.
A Love Song for Bobby Long's trio of lead performances are surprisingly believable.
Mais um daqueles independentes norte-americanos cuja presunção de soar profundo logo revela sua verdadeira intenção: emocionar através do melodrama.
Tries the patience of sober viewers, who are likely to envy the onscreen eccentrics their ever-present plastic cups of Abita...
We should take it no more seriously than we would Bobby Long himself. Like the old professor, it talks such amusing nonsense.
The film shares many qualities with its rambling and at times honestly endearing characters: it's sloppy, decent-hearted and most often embarrassing.
It's little more than a collection of cliches about the Deep South, alcoholism and the literary arts.
Things move at a snail's pace in the humid bayou atmosphere writer-director Shainee Gabel creates, allowing Travolta to chew several yards of Cajun-spiced scenery.
This, incidentally, is one of the rare movies about authors in which the character's writing actually seems good enough to be publishable.
John is a fine actor, he's not quite a match for this part, nor does his southern accent ring true. Perhaps Billy Bob Thornton would have made a better cast.
The cast appears to have mistaken a verbose screenplay for great writing.
An above-average independent movie that gives us an interesting version of a popular indie theme: difficult parents and the fallout for their neglected children.
Audience Reviews for A Love Song for Bobby Long
- Lawson Pines: You know, I knew your mother pretty well.
- Pursy Will: How well?
- Lawson Pines: She was hard to understand. But she kept the door to her heart open.
- Pursy Will: Well, the way I've heard it was more of a revolvin' door, now, wasn't it?
- Lawson Pines: You know that you eat like shit?
- Pursy Will: You drink too much?
- Lawson Pines: Okay?
- Georgianna: So now what? Lorraine finally kick ya'll out?
- Bobby Long: No... she never would. Besides, God wouldn't let that happen.
- Lawson Pines: Really? And why not?
- Bobby Long: Because God knows me and I know God.
- Lee: Look, I'm sorry. Why don't you just cook me some dinner and I'll go rent us some porno?
- Pursy Will: I have to go to a funeral, Lee. Unless I miss it because you forgot to tell me that my mother is dead!
- Lawson Pines: We die only one, and for such a long time.
- Bobby Long: Moliere.
- Bobby Long: We cannot tear it out a single page of our lives, but we can throw the whole book in the fire.
- Lawson Pines: George Sand.
- Bobby Long: Now, I thought that would be a hard one.
Discuss A Love Song for Bobby Long on our Movie forum!