My Cousin Vinny (1992)
Average Rating: 6.8/10
Reviews Counted: 38
Fresh: 32 | Rotten: 6
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 6.8/10
Critic Reviews: 10
Fresh: 7 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 95,991
When sweet Northern college kid Bill (Ralph Macchio) and his buddy Stan (Mitchell Whitfield) are picked up and thrown into the slammer in a hick Southern town, at first it looks like no big deal. Then they are informed that they are accused of murder. Penniless and without a single friend in the area, Bill decides to call his goofy cousin Vinny (Joe Pesci), who has somehow recently become a lawyer. Full of family feeling and bravado, Vinny, who has never tried a criminal case in his short life
Aug 14, 2001
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
Vincent La Guardia G...
Mona Lisa Vito
Judge Chamberlain Ha...
Jim Trotter III
Prison Van Driver
J. Don Ferguson
Man in Town Square
Aubrey J. Osteen
Jill Jane Clements
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Tomei, sashaying through the proceedings as kind of a sexy hood ornament, creates a buoyant chemistry with her combative b.f.
While it's easy to imagine an infinite number of bad courtroom comedies based on this scenario, this movie turns out to be wonderful -- broad and low character comedy that's solidly imagined and beautifully played.
It's a small, surprisingly gentle affair, prone to fits and starts, but fun.
Easily the most inventive and enjoyable American film farce in a long time, even during those extended patches when it seems to be marking time or when it continues with a running gag that can't stay the distance.
You might not remember much about My Cousin Vinny an hour later, but the cast makes the jokes (even the bad ones) go down easy.
Joe Pesci is a total screen pleasure. He grabs whatever comes his way -- from GoodFellas to Home Alone</ -- and bullies it into something great. He's charming, menacing, and pitbullish all at the same time, a tenor-voiced imp of ceaseless energy.
Marisa Tomei won the Supporting Actress Oscar for this shallow but mildly enjoybale fish-out-of-water comedy, playing Joe Pesci's street smart girlfriend.
Apart from Pesci being too old for the part as written, My Cousin Vinny holds up pretty well.
The minor miracle of My Cousin Vinny is that--though the picture never scores any guffaws, the villains remain off-screen, and the conclusion is never in doubt--the movie's full two-hour running time passes so breezily. [Blu-ray]
Though overrated, this comedy shows why Joe Pesci was once an important film addition
Too dependent on convenient stereotypes and fish-out-of-water cliches, though the late Fred Gwynne is a welcome presence.
Big dumb comedy that somehow works.
raucous and funny
Excellent performances by Pesci & Tomei. Essentially a court room dramedy "My Cousin Vinny" makes some good points about pointing fingers. But mostly it'll make you laugh
Pleasant time killer. Great Fred Gwynne performance.
Very funny fish-out-of-water flick and, Oscar notwithstanding, generally underrated.
Audience Reviews for My Cousin Vinny
Movies Like My Cousin Vinny
- Stan Rothenstein: No, you're being booked for shoplifting. I'm being booked for accessory to shoplifting.
- Bill Gambini: No Stan, I'm being booked for murder, you're being booked for accessory to murder.
- Vincent La Guardia Gambini: How many times have you said spontaneous is romantic?
- Mona Lisa Vito: A burp is spontaneous. A burp is not romantic.
- Vincent La Guardia Gambini: Take your time, pick the right words, get back to New York and give me a call.
- Mona Lisa Vito: Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A fuckin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a fuck what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?
- Vincent La Guardia Gambini: Well, I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?
- Mona Lisa Vito: My biological clock is ticking like this, and the way this case is going, I ain't never getting married!
Discuss My Cousin Vinny on our Movie forum!