The Pawnbroker (1964)
Average Rating: 8/10
Reviews Counted: 9
Fresh: 9 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Apr 20, 1965 Wide
Average Rating: 4/5
User Ratings: 2,181
Critically acclaimed Rod Steiger plays Sol Nazerman, a Jewish pawnbroker who survived imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp, even though his wife and family did not. The devastating experience and unrelenting memories inhibit Sol from emotional involvement with life. He has no faith in religion and less in mankind. Though he carries on an affair with a woman who was also a victim of the Nazi camps, it is without emotion and Sol grows increasingly bitter and callous, withdrawing still further
Apr 20, 1965 Wide
Dec 16, 2003
Republic Pictures Home Video
Watch It Now
Nancy R. Pollock
Raymond St. Jacques
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The film makes its point with narrative economy and emotional sophistication in a socially complex contemporary context.
An unpleasant, solemn and overwrought melodrama about an embittered Jewish Holocaust survivor still haunted by his stay in Auschwitz.
One of the first Hollywood films to deal with the Holocaust, The Pawnbroker is thematically and stylistically innovative, borrowing some of its devices from the French New Wave, such as brief flashbacks, stylized b/w imagery, and jazzy score.
Audience Reviews for The Pawnbroker
- Ruth Nazerman: Papa is dead, what am I going to do Sol?
- Sol Nazerman: You bury him, there's nothing else to do.
- Ruth Nazerman: Sol when you talk like that you're not human.
- Sol Nazerman: What do you want me to do, come over and cry with you? Well to hell with your crying.
- Sol Nazerman: Do you believe in God Ortiz?
- Jesus Ortiz: I don't know Mr. Nazerman but you believe in God, and I'd make book on that.
- Sol Nazerman: I do not believe in God, or art, or science, or newspapers, or politics, or philosophy.
- Sol Nazerman: Next to the speed of light, which Einstein tells us is the only absolute in the universe, second only to that, I rank money.
Discuss The Pawnbroker on our Movie forum!
Latest News on The Pawnbroker
March 9, 2006:Trailer Bulletin: Find Me Guilty
Wondering what Vin Diesel's been up to lately? Well, he's been off making a fact-based courtroom...