Scream 2 (1997)
Average Rating: 6.8/10
Reviews Counted: 73
Fresh: 59 | Rotten: 14
It is scarier and funnier than the original.
Average Rating: 7.2/10
Critic Reviews: 19
Fresh: 17 | Rotten: 2
It is scarier and funnier than the original.
Average Rating: 2.9/5
User Ratings: 409,166
A year after the monstrous success of 1996's neo-slasher flick Scream, director Wes Craven and screenwriter Kevin Williamson reunited for this follow-up. Since viewers last saw the characters, nosy newswoman Gale Weathers has written a sleazy best-selling book based on the events of the first film, a book that has been adapted into a Hollywood film called Stab, starring Tori Spelling as Sydney Prescott. The real Sydney (Neve Campbell) has since gone away to college in Cincinnati in hopes of
Dec 12, 1997 Wide
Jul 17, 2001
Miramax Films - Official Site
Watch It Now
Sarah Michelle Gella...
Jada Pinkett Smith
Chief Louis Hartley
herself/Sidney in 'S...
Portia de Rossi
Sorority Sister Murp...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
If you liked Scream there's no reason you shouldn't like this sequel.
The film itself is stuck in a cycle of repetition, with slight variations.
Wes Craven was born to direct this material. One of the most successful of horror filmmakers.
The first 10 minutes attain a deranged brilliance (especially considering Charlie Kaufman wouldn't introduce his own brand of narrative invention for another two years).
Clever parody of the sequel trend; once again we are treated to a movie mocking its own conventions. Some great comic -- and terrifying -- moments, but suffers for not being as original as the original.
Scream 2 is as clever and nerve-wracking as the original; on its own self-referential, crowd-pleasing terms, it's a success.
Scream 2 isn't nearly as fresh, suspenseful or witty as it's inaugural bloodfest.
The secret to both Scream and Scream 2's success is that neither film condescends to its audience - instead the audience is let in on the joke.
I truly hope that Scream 2 proves to all of the doubters that horror movies are not all the same. They are not all equally bad, and by God, they are not all equally good. However, they don't get any better than Scream 2.
Audience Reviews for Scream 2
Movies Like Scream 2
- Mickey: The Empire Strikes Back. Better story, improved effects.
- Randy Meeks: Not a sequel. Part of a trilogy. Completely planned.
- Hallie: I like those little furry things.
- Mickey: They're Ewoks. They blow.
- Maureen Evans: Bitch! Hang the phone up and Star-69 his ass! Damn!
- Phil Stevens: Sshh!
- Gale Weathers: Anyway, you're forgetting something. In Woodsboro, there were more victims before the homestretch.; Tatum, my cameraman, Himbry...
- Joel: Time out! I don't need to be hearing about no dead cameramen, all right? Now I'm warning you guys. I am a verb away from vacating these premises. I'm gonna get me some coffee, donuts, Prozac, see If I can find some crack, Special KX, "not Malcolm and I'll be back when you guys start talking about something a little more Saved By The Bellish, all right?
- Dewey Riley: He seems a little shaky.
- Gale Weathers: Don't worry about him. If the killer is following a pattern, maybe we can figure out who's next.
- Sidney Prescott: Three hundred people watched. Nobody did anything. They thought it was publicity stunt, for Christ's sakes.
- Randy Meeks: And it would have been a good one too.
- Sidney Prescott: It's starting again Randy.
- Randy Meeks: It's not. A lot of shit happens at the movies. People get robbed, shot, maimed, murdered. Multiplex is just a very dangerous place to be these days.
- Sidney Prescott: Yeah and you are in extreme denial.
- Cotton Weary: How bad is it?
- Gale Weathers: Just bounced off my ribs.
- Cotton Weary: Geez, Gale, you got more lives than a cat.
- Dewey Riley: When did she started smoking?
- Randy Meeks: Ever since those nude pictures on the internet.
- Gale Weathers: It was just my head, it was Jennifer Aniston's body!
Discuss Scream 2 on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Scream 2
July 15, 2008:Weinsteins Ready to Scream Again
Buried in yesterday's news about The Weinstein Company's new seven-year deal with Showtime was a...
February 27, 2007:Is Wes Craven Ready for a "Scream 4"?
While over at the New York Comic Con to help hype his "Hills Have Eyes 2," horror master...
October 27, 2006:RT Top 20 Halloween Movie Countdown, Part Two
Yesterday we kicked off our Top 20 Halloween movie list, and today we bring you the next five...