The Seven Year Itch (1955)
Average Rating: 7.2/10
Reviews Counted: 29
Fresh: 25 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 5/10
Critic Reviews: 6
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 23,059
Like thousands of other Manhattanites, Tom Ewell annually packs his wife (Evelyn Keyes) and children off to summer vacation, staying behind to work at the office. This particular summer, the lonely Ewell begins fantasizing about the many women he'd foresworn upon getting married (in one of the fantasies, Ewell and Marguerite Chapman parody the beach rendezvous in From Here to Eternity). He is jolted back to reality when he meets his new neighbor--luscious model Marilyn Monroe. Inviting Monroe to
Jan 1, 1955 Limited
May 29, 2001
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Railroad Station Gat...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Despite the script's cleverness, the presence of Tom Ewell, who is a first rate comedian and Oscar Homolka, who has long been a first rate actor, the entire film continually misses fire and fizzles out, like defective fireworks.
What counts is that laughs come thick and fast, that the general entertainment is light and gay.
Although it was directed by Billy Wilder, this 1955 CinemaScope classic sometimes seems presided over by Frank Tashlin, with its satire of 50s puritanism and its use of wimpy Tom Ewell.
Monroe flaunts her attributes too blatantly, and seems less human because of it, while George Axelrod's play, fresh and risqué in the '50s, now appears a little obvious and over-plotted.
So arresting is Monroe's presence that when she's not on-screen, we wait impatiently, wondering, Where have you gone, Mrs. DiMaggio?
Monroe takes over the movie the minute she appears onscreen, wearing impossible outfits and telling the most ridiculous stories with the lightest touch.
Though not one of Billy Wilder's good films, this sex farce is symptomatic of the mores of the 1950s, offering Marilyn a part that's variation of her "dumb" blondes.
Very dated and not consistently funny but famous for the iconic Marilyn air-vent shot and a close to the under-wire smuttiness.
This is probably Monroe's best known film, largely thanks to the scene in which a rush of air from a subway grating sends her skirt flying up around her shoulders.
Solid adaptation of the play, but far from Wilder's best.
I find this movie to be a definitive Marilyn Monroe movie that happened to also have a pretty witty script.
The Seven Year Itch is certainly a key film for the classic Monroe image...
All told, the screenplay's butchery lends a mesmerizing vagueness to the proceedings...
Audience Reviews for The Seven Year Itch
Movies Like The Seven Year Itch
- The Girl: Don't ever be sorry.
- Richard Sherman: Miss Morris, I'm perfectly capable of fixing my own breakfast. As a matter of fact, I had a peanut butter sandwich and two whiskey sours.
- The Girl: Hey, did you ever try dunking a potato chip in champagne? It's really crazy!
- The Girl: It's terrible up there... Ohhh, this feels just elegant. I'm just not made for the heat. This is my first summer in New York and it's practically killing me. You know what I tried yesterday? I tried to sleep in the bathtub. Just lying there up to my neck in cold water. . . But there was something wrong with the faucet. It kept dripping. It was keeping me awake, so you know what I did? I pushed my big toe up the faucet...The only thing was, my toe got stuck and I couldn't get it out again.. No, but thank goodness there was a phone in the bathroom, so I was able to call the plumber. . .He was very nice, even though it was Sunday. I explained the situation to him and he rushed right over. . .But it was sort of embarrassing. . .Honestly, I almost died. There I was with perfectly strange plumber and no polish on my toenails.
- Richard Sherman: I can explain everything! The coffee, the toast, the blonde in the kitchen.
- Tom MacKenzie: What blonde in the kitchen?
- Richard Sherman: Wouldn't you like to know! Maybe it's Marilyn Monroe!
Discuss The Seven Year Itch on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- Das verflixte 7. Jahr (DE)
- The Seven Year Itch (UK)