Smoke Signals (1998)
Average Rating: 7.3/10
Reviews Counted: 29
Fresh: 25 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 8.1/10
Critic Reviews: 5
Fresh: 5 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.9/5
User Ratings: 10,154
This dramatic feature was written, directed, and co-produced by Native Americans. Native American writer Sherman Alexie scripted this adaptation of his 1993 short story collection The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Director Chris Eyre's previous short Someone Kept Saying Powwow is incorporated into the 88-minute feature. Developed at the Sundance Lab in 1995, the film was a winner of both the Audience Award and the Filmmakers' Trophy at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival. In 1976, an
Jun 26, 1998 Wide
Jul 27, 1999
Watch It Now
Young Victor Joseph
Simon Baker - III
Young Thomas Builds-...
Michelle St. John
Cathy The Gymnast
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
It was shocking to realize that as late as 1998, this was still one of the few movies made by insiders, written, directed, and acted by Native Americans. The father-son narrative is conventional but it has humor and is well acted.
A brilliantly performed movie....Beach is a knockout
Native American themed story has great moments
A resolutely so-so movie puffed beyond all recognition by non-First Nation critics looking to expiate their dimly-felt sense of historic debt.
A moving and engrossing look at life on The Rez for two Native American youths. Adam Beach's performance is admirable. Irene Bedard is gorgeous and mesmerizing.
It wasn't perfectly put together, the actors were sometimes too enthusiastic or not enough ... but it really touched me.
The good news is that Smoke Signals is a movie that requires no dispensation ...
The film pokes fun at the interface between life on "the rez" and the dominant white culture. It also reveals how ritual and friendship can be healing medicine.
best film ever made that captures the real character and spirit of modern Native Americans
Audience Reviews for Smoke Signals
- Victor Joseph: You gotta look mean, or people won't respect you. White people will run all over you if you don't look mean. You gotta look like a warrior. You goth look like you just came back from killing a buffalo.
- Thomas Builds-the-Fire: But our tribe never hunted buffalo. We were fishermen.
- Thomas Builds-the-Fire: Hey Victor! I'm sorry 'bout your dad.
- Victor Joseph: How'd you hear about it?
- Thomas Builds-the-Fire: I heard it on the wind. I heard it from the birds. I felt it in the sunlight. And your mom was just in here cryin'.
- Thomas Builds-the-Fire: Hey Victor! I remember the time your father took me to Denny's, and I had the Grand Slam Breakfast. Two eggs, two pancakes, a glass of milk, and of course my favorite, the bacon. Some days, it's a good day to die. And some days, it's a good day to have breakfast.
- Thomas Builds-the-Fire: Hey Victor!
Discuss Smoke Signals on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- Smoke Signals (DE)
- Smoke Signals (UK)