64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Page 1 of 2036
garyX
garyX

November 15, 2006
Peter Parker begins to find the life of a super hero a rather thankless task and increasingly stressed by his inability to balance work, school and fighting crime he decides to quit being Spiderman. Unfortunately he does not count on a disastrous scientific experiment that turns an altruistic genius into a mechanically enhanced megalomaniac! Spiderman builds on a fine original and delivers all it promised and more. The action sequences are brilliantly done and even more importantly, it intelligently fleshes out the characters with humour and depth. The way Peter has to confront the pros and cons of superhero-dom is really cleverly done and it injects even more clever humour; in particular the scenes when Peter accidentally dyes his smalls with his spider suit and taking a lift when his powers fail him. It's witty, funny and exciting and everything a superhero film should be. And once more I felt sorry for anyone having to share a scene with the brilliant J. K. Simmons! One of the best hero movies out there.
Phil H

August 25, 2007
So after the massive success of the first film and fears about a low budget horror director taking the helm put to rest, amongst other things, we get the obligatory sequel. A second chance for another Spider-Man thriller with better effects, better sets, better costumes, better CGI...better everything, but still just a tad exactly the same as the first film.

Two years on and 'Parker' is trying to cope with his daily grind, his love for 'Mary Jane' and of course being Spidey. Ah but wait, Peter Parker let me introduce the rather stocky 'Dr. Octavius' and his obvious pending disaster he calls a self-sustaining fusion reaction. Before you can my Spidey sense is tingling it all goes tits up as the experiment goes errr...tits up! and the Doc becomes a dastardly baddie hell bent on...umm doing his experiment all over again for some reason.

Yep the introduction of Alfred Molina was yet another brilliant bit of casting as his performance as the calm methodical Doc Ock (along with his perfect build and looks) save the film from becoming rather mundane. Just like the first film the villain is the winning ticket and gives this adventure a shot in the arm which is so clearly required. Now I'm not saying this film was bad but the strangest thing...back in the day I always preferred this film over the original, but now the tables have turned and I find myself enjoying the original much more. I think the problem with this film is it really starts to lose its sense of semi realism and my suspension of disbelief goes right out the window.

Now I always though Spider-Man was merely a regular guy with extra strength, speed, endurance and jumping ability, along with the few special skills of being able to climb walls and shoot gooey web stuff. But he was still able to get hurt, cut, bleed and generally die. In this film Spider-Man is virtually invincible and practically as strong as the Hulk or Superman so it seems. I mean really...he's falling from massive heights and slamming into walls and cars, he can hold up huge metal structures, lift incredible weights and stop a runaway train with his gooey web stuff and arms! Was Spider-Man always this powerful??

There are also some really silly hokey issues dotted throughout that bugged me. Doc Ock hides out in the one and only run down shack in the middle of the harbour and it stands out like a sore thumb, no one ever thought of looking there? even when the lights were on? When Doc Ock robs the bank no one notices him just standing there right next to the vault door in his long trench coat, hat and shades looking pretty suspicious. Oh and how do you hide four giant mechanical arms under a coat? Why does the Doc go from being a decent human being into someone who would kill innocent people? even when he's got the arms fused to his spine or whatever he's still the same guy, but for some reason he suddenly decides hurting people is the way to go. Plus when the Doc goes to see 'Osborn' for the tritium why didn't he just force Osborn to hand it over instead of agreeing to get Spider-Man in exchange for it, surely that would have been easier and saved time.

How does the Doc get all that expensive equipment? I know he pinched some cash from the bank but that wouldn't cover it. Plus how was it delivered?! didn't anyone notice all this stuff being delivered to this abandoned building in the harbour where no one goes or lives? didn't anyone think it was odd or suspicious? And what on earth was his experiment about?? what was it for? what would it do? it just felt like an outrageously diabolical device just for the sake of being a diabolical device. If he managed to finish it then what? would he become a good guy again? all he wanted to do was finish the experiment so its not like he was trying to do anything bad, and the experiment was suppose to be for the good of mankind right? maybe let him do his stuff?

The special effects in the film were an improvement over the first film but again looking back they still look a bit dated. Seeing Spider-Man swing through the city (but what the hell is he attached too?? its hilarious!) is looking much better but most of the shots were we see Doc Ock walking along via his four mechanical arms are really bad at times. The entire runaway subway train sequence is really dodgy looking nowadays, the fight on top of the train and seeing the Doc throw those obviously bad CGI people from the train...blimey its bad!

So yes the action is bigger louder and more impressive than the first film but the CGI effects are way more obvious to me, far more hokey looking. Close up shots of Doc Ock and his arms are fantastic, the way the arms lift him up, the way the arms look...all brilliant, but the bad outweighs the good I'm afraid. There is so much dodgy CGI and bluescreen work in here, the sequence where Parker rescues the little girl from the burning building, rescuing 'May Parker' from the Doc halfway up a skyscraper made me cringe especially, the car being chucked through the cafe window etc...Oh and why does Parker seemingly lose his Spidey powers halfway through yet gains them back again from nowhere? what was that about?!

Surprisingly I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would...and I'm honesty being honest here. Molina is superb as Doc Ock and the action is deserving of kudos for the ambition, but visually it lacks quality in my opinion and there are lots more silly niggly bits that stand out to me. This sequel definitely felt more along the lines of a Schumacher Batman flick at times, its reasonable fun but the original still easily surpasses it.
KJ P

January 9, 2010
Taking a huge leap forward in technology and storytelling, "Spider-Man 2" is not just your average superhero film, but it is a piece of super-heroic art to own for a lifetime that should be cherished upon, and never given up! There is still cheese in this film, just like the first time around, but the characters have so much depth and the consequences actually come into effect. I do not see why anyone in their right mind would not like this film, because to me, it is "THE" greatest superhero film of all time! The shots are very impressive, the acting is very solid, the writing is on another level of great when it comes down to the considerations that it is a superhero film, and the action scenes are not something you can just walk away from. "Spider-man 2" is a movie that I will love forever! From the humour to the sad emotional moments, this film is brilliant in it's own way! It may not follow the comics to a "T," but honestly, we knew that going in. Forget that, and you have a masterpiece of a superhero film!
Edward B

April 24, 2007
Spider-Man 2 is great fun in its action scenes and surprisingly thoughtful in its dramatic ones. Peter Parker has to deal with balancing school, work, love life, and being a superhero and it quickly becomes too much. Comic book movies rarely venture into this territory, but Spider-Man 2 does, and emerges with a definition of what it means to be a superhero.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

June 29, 2012
The sequel to the superb 2004 entry, Spider-Man 2 is bigger and is more emotional. Tobey Maguire reprises his role as the web slinger. This time, he is to confront a new and improved villian. Personally, the main focus of this film should be Alfred Molina; who's portrayal of Dr Octopus gives off pure power, sophistication and terror. This is possibly the highlight in the Spider-Man trilogy.
EightThirty .

April 24, 2007
27/01/2013 (BluRay, PS3)
Eugene B

August 28, 2012
An exceptional sequel led by a superb cast and filled with a fantastic direction/script. Spider-Man 2 takes a deeper toll on the masked vigilante with an emotional as well as physical toll. With the addition of Alfred Molina as the famed villian, the film is a spin of fun. 5/5
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 8, 2007
more effective than the first in character design. some of the sequences of the first were a tad better, but overall they are about equal in quality. i liked a lot about this film, but a great spiderman film is yet to be made.
Everett J

June 30, 2012
Up until "Dark Knight", this was by far my favorite comic book movie. "Spider- Man 2" took everything good about the first movie, and built on it. Amazing effects mixed with an equally amazing story. The whole cast is back as Peter Parker(Tobey Maquire) deals with whether or not he wants to be spider man, or to live just a normal life. He's haunted by the fact that he can never be in a happy relationship with Mary Jane Watson(Kirsten Dunst), and that his best friend Harry(James Franco) wants spider man dead for the death of his father. The whole time all this is going on, a new villain rises in Dr. Ock(Alfred Molina) and he threatens to destroy all of New York. Its a great film, and worked best as a true Peter Parker movie. You really go on a journey through him and see the ups and downs of being a super hero through his eyes. Side note, this movie has one of the best soundtracks ever. I absolutely love it to this day, and it features one of my favorite songs "Gifts and Curses" by Yellowcard. With the series being rebooted, making this trilogy kind of obsolete, this movie still stands as a phenomenal film.
Albert K

September 7, 2011
This movie is raved to be the best of the Spider-Man series, but I beg to differ. It just wasn't as interesting as the first one...
Tyler R

January 13, 2012
There really isn't a lot that needs to be said about this movie. It fixes on the flaws of the first film and creates a fantastic film. The story goes more in depth about the characters and has more emotional value. The acting in this movie works as well. Tobey McGuire is excellent as Peter Parker, James Franco and Kirsten Dunst play great roles, and Alfred Molina was terrific as Doc Ock. This is one of the greatest superhero movies ever made.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 3, 2010
Perfect! A fantastic film! Spiderman 2 is Marvel's best film! It's among the best of it's genre if not the best. Everything that was perfect about the first film the second exemplifies!

But, the thing that really stands out to me about this film is the growth and development of the story and characters. I think this film taps into the depthness and emotion of the story. Sometimes films like this tend to focus on the action too much, but this film brilliantly taps into both, creating an emotional level unlike anything I have ever seen.

I LOVE this film. One of my favorites. This film is so underrated.....i mean yes, everyone likes it, but it is so much more. Brilliant!
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 1, 2011
The sequel to the highly campy Spiderman is a vast improvement. Spider Man 2 has a better villian and is deeper emotionally and minus the terrible script from the original.
Eric A

October 2, 2011
Just as good as the first, if not better. More action and definitely a coller villain. I've always liked Doc Ock, so it was nice to see him put into the film.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 26, 2011
Sequel to the very popular Spiderman is a mediocre film that has some entertaining moments, but it never really takes off. I felt that the film wasn't strong, and to be honest, I feel that the Spiderman films are some of the most poorly made of all superhero films. This sequel has some good action, but it feels like the film was designed with only kids in mind. Batman on the other hand was great for teens and adults a like. But this film is only made for a teen audience. The doesn't really do anything great, and it lacks in many respects in telling a terrific story. That's where I felt that these films failed the lack an appealing, intriguing story. Like Nolan's Batman films were genius movies with compelling stories, but Spiderman 1, 2, 3 lacks that big time. This sequel is a step down from the first which was actually fairly decently entertaining, but it still lacked anything great. Fans of the first may be disappointed with this sequel as you can see the ideas on screen are lacking. There were some good elements, and I really thought Alfred Molina's performance was terrific. But I just think that this sequel is mediocre because I thought it was silly and it was mostly designed for a teenage audience in mind. Below decent but still mildly entertaining.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Well, now! They say (assuming "they" are movie experts) that sequels are never great and are always weakly scripted. That certainly did not happen to Sam Raimi's interpretation of the classical comic book saga SPIDER-MAN. SPIDER-MAN 2, though quite simply named, is far better than the original SPIDER-MAN, now with many more thrills and action sequences to keep you watching until the last few seconds. SPIDER-MAN 2, once again, left all of us hanging for the simply inevitable SPIDER-MAN 3.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
I loved all of these Spider Man's.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 26, 2011
"Am I not supposed to have what I want? What I need? What am I supposed to do?" I was skeptical if Sam Raimi could make another Spider-Man that would live up to his first and I'm suprised to say that I think this one is even a little better than his first. This one deals with Spidermans inner conflict of love or being the hero that everyone needs. Visually, it's as stunning as the first, but the story is superior to that of the first. Peter Parkers personal life starts to deteriorate as Spiderman starts to take over. The pacing of this movie is perfect and Raimi does one hell of a job telling the story. Tobey and Kirsten are great again; as is Franco. Alfred Molina does a very good job as the villain and he had to follow up Dafoe. The ending was awesome and really sets the stage for the next Spider-Man.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 27, 2011
What made Spider-Man 2 the best in the series, the fact that they polished the first and improved upon it to make it one of the best superhero films out there. The acting had a major freshen up and it seems like they all playe dthere part great. The effect were a MAJOR improvement and were no longer cheesy like the first but looked very real. The action was more well done and better directed. The villain played by Alfred Molina was perfect as Doc Oc and he actually looks like the guy in the comics, and he deserved more recognition. The plot not only deals with the troubles of Spider-Man, it directs its attention at us because he is going through the same life problems we might have, and it truly makes us feel for him as a human being. Spiderman 2 was an ingenius work of art, and I loved it.
Page 1 of 2036