Up in Smoke (1978)
Average Rating: 5.1/10
Reviews Counted: 16
Fresh: 6 | Rotten: 10
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 3
Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 3
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 62,482
Then professional potheads Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong teamed up for Cheech & Chong: Up In Smoke, which features the drug-addled duo on a road trip throughout California; that is to say, a road-trip they hope will culminate in finding some quality weed. Instead, a series of mishaps result in their respective deportations to Mexico. Desperate to get back to the states so they can perform in their band's gig later that night, Cheech and Chong unwittingly agree to drive a very unique car across
Sep 15, 1978 Wide
Nov 21, 2000
Watch It Now
Upholstery Factory B...
Upholstery Shop Fore...
Jon Ian Jacobs
Sister Mary Quacker
Gary Mule Deer
Freak with Basketbal...
Sister Mary Vogue
Latest News on Up in Smoke
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Director Lou Adler (the record producer) finds a few chuckles, but mostly it's amateur night.
As the most fun comes not from watching the movie but from recalling great lines later, it would seem that the audio success of C & C has not translated too well into visuals.
The funniest of all the Cheech and Chong movies, Up in Smoke provides a feast of gags for the sympathetically minded.
This Cheech and Chong weed comedy was dismissed by most critics (and parents) but it was embraced by young viewers and launched the subgenre of "stoner" comedies way before Linklater made Slacker.
Cheech & Chong had their act down pat by '78 and turned out to be a natural movie-comedy team.
Up in Smoke is the world's most revered -- and most idiotic -- drug movie.
one joke stretched too far
The duo wrote the genial script about the never-ending search for great pot, and a good supporting cast co-stars.
The boys first, and still their best, foray into cinematic stonededness.
Audience Reviews for Up in Smoke
Movies Like Up in Smoke
- Man Stoner: [after spitting out the judge's drink] Fuckin' vodka, man!
- Man Stoner: [Cheech starts toking on the giant joint] Toke, toke it up, man! [Cheech starts coughing] Kinda grabs ya' by the boo-boo, don't it?
- Man Stoner: [talking to Strawberry's bird] Wanna get high? Wanna get high? [the bird repeats his words]
- Sgt. Stedenko: [referring to Man Stoner] Some asshole pissed on my leg!
- Sgt. Stedenko: [to his assistant after the man shot out their own car tire] You are a stupid, stupid man.
- Man Stoner: Hey, hey don't take those, man.
- Pedro: ...Wha?
- Man Stoner: I almost gave you the wrong shit, man.
- Pedro: Hey, man, I already took 'em, man.
- Man Stoner: [laughing in astonishment] Hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo...
- Pedro: Hey, whaddaya mean 'ho ho ho ho ho?'
- Man Stoner: Oh... HU-WOW, MAN!
- Pedro: Hey, what was in that shit, man?
- Man Stoner: You just did the most acid I've ever seen anybody eat in my life!
Discuss Up in Smoke on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- Up in Smoke (1978) (DE)
- Up in Smoke (1978) (CA)