The Messenger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Messenger Reviews

December 25, 2016
Very good acting, didn't care for the woman, but emotional and powerful, realistic
½ December 19, 2016
A decent character study whose main strength lies in two great performances by Foster and Harrelson, who shine in a sad story that deals with the psychological consequences of a terrible job, but the film also suffers from some tiresome pacing and unnecessary scenes.
November 27, 2016
The plot in the second half is not exactly groundbreaking, and Samantha Morton seems weirdly out of place for some reason. But it has a great, melancholy tone and the actors are terrific, and it's just really beautiful and I liked it a lot.
November 3, 2016
Real and moving; however, most will not see the value contained due to the lack of bells and whistles.
August 16, 2016
Gripping but wonderfully done well
½ April 24, 2016
Um baita roteiro e grandes atuações da dupla protagonista, nesse filme pontual e necessário.
April 8, 2016
Much better than I expected.
January 16, 2016
The Messenger is truly great and well acted movie, that got overlooked because of The Hurt Locker. In my opinion instead of The Hurt locker this movie should have won the Best picture oscar.
½ October 19, 2015
loved it...
powerful... heavy performances...
highly recommend
October 3, 2015
Though bleak and depressing, The Messenger is a superb war film without a glimpse of actual warfare in it, thanks to a subtle direction by writer/director Owen Moverman and intensely compelling performances from both Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson
½ September 3, 2015
Superb acting and a thoroughly captivating movie despite the dark material. Harrelson and Foster are brilliant and there are a few scene-stealing secondary roles that make the cast for this movie incredibly on the spot.

Highly Recommended.
August 15, 2015
A good story with some strong, emotional performances, especially by the supporting cast.
July 22, 2015
I think that just about every scene of Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster delivering the news to next of kin is heartbreaking and well done. The stilted romance with Samantha Morton was a little iffy but everything else more than makes up for it.
½ July 22, 2015
This is not an easy viewing. Though it is mainly about the fallout of Iraq War, this is also a story about two broken people, who are traumatized by their battlefield experiences and on the verge of nervous breakdown, adjusting to the post-war lifestyle, and performing a tough job that nobody would ever wish to do. Superbly acted by Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson, The Messenger tells a powerful, poignant, and emotionally resonant story. It hits you right in the guts. You've been warned.
½ July 18, 2015
Well-acted and emotional to some extend, but also repetitive and boring.
April 28, 2015
Very hard movie to watch. It will definitely have you either turning off your DVD player or Netflix. Or it will keep you intrigued. Woody Harrelson is phenomenal and definitely deserved a best supporting actor nomination for his work in this movie as he is growing as one of my favorite actors to watch at the movies today. But I must say it was also Steve Buscemi brief appearance as one of the parents who is told by Ben Foster and Woody's characters about his son dying in action in Irq that really win me over as Steve Buscemi literally is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood today
April 28, 2015
½ April 7, 2015
Woody Harrelson gives a bravura performance in this beautiful character drama. The only thing that was bad was Ben Foster's mediocre acting.
½ February 21, 2015
Engaging and subtle character exploration that examines what masculinity is.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
A movie with a very easygoing / simple plot and perhaps not the most interesting story aswell some may think and i had my doubts at first to be honest. We have Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson in the main roles as two soldiers assigned to a difficult task, "Armys Casualty Notification service". Both plays they roles really nice and its the first time i saw Ben in a different drama role like this. Actually the great performances from all involved in this flick is the biggest reason to watch it. The story stays more just on the decent level but overall its an enjoyable drama i felt.