The Vanishing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Vanishing Reviews

½ November 6, 2016
It's creepy and disconcerting but you keep watching because you want to know what happened to Diane. Jeff Bridges plays his character's madness brilliantly. The ending is satisfying.
August 14, 2016
This review is for the Original one from 1988.
-This is in Dutch originally. Dutch is probably the funniest language I know. It's like German, but less violent, and somehow simpler.
-Rex, apparently, is a douche canoe.
-This film is rich rich rich with details & local color.
-Have you ever been so mad you slammed a car door and the window glass shattered? Rex has.
-Why, oh why, are they having a screaming competition?
-Oh, because he's testing to see if the neighbors can hear screams. Very shrewd.
-Aaaand now he's testing chloroform on himself to see how long it lasts. 12cc=18 min, 54 sec, btw.
-There's a whole lot of tension up in here.
-And now the creepy guy just admitted he's a sociopath. Like, right out of the DSM-4.
-AHAHAHAHAHA! He chloroformed the rag, then blew his nose in it by accident.
-In France, if you are claustrophobic, you can get a medical permit saying you don't have to wear a seatbelt.
-He was such a nice, quiet neighbor. Kept to himself, mostly. Mostly.
June 11, 2016
Poor, poor Sandra Bullock!
½ May 30, 2016
Stumbled across this movie on an Syfy channel....it's really good and keeps you guessing until the end. Yes it's a bit dated now but certainly worth a watch and a higher star rating.
½ January 7, 2016
Great freakin movie.
September 10, 2015
Enjoyable film worth a watch ,it doesn't blow you away but an easy watch
½ July 2, 2015
6/2/2015: the only good thing about this movie was the excellent cast. Other than that it was bland and not that entertaining.
½ May 31, 2015
Always pales in comparison to the original, particularly because of you know what (if you've seen both). However the first two thirds of the film is still pretty effective and it has its moments.
½ May 8, 2015
Great movie. The Vanishing is a very suspenseful, intriguing, and smart thriller that is quite original in its ideas and plot, and is supported by great performances from its cast, especially Bridges and Sutherland.
March 11, 2015
I liked this ending better than the Dutch original. SPOILER ALERT. I would have left Barney alive and put him in the box. Since he's claustrophobic, that would have been a fitting ending for him. Jeff Bridges did a great job here--you really hated him. The mark of a good actor is that they can play a hero or a villain equally well, and Bridges always delivers, The whole dream thing in the Dutch film just didn't cut it for me--the supernatural shouldn't play a part in this. Don't muddle up the plot by mixing genres.
½ March 9, 2015
You'd think a film starring Jeff Bridges, Kiefer Sutherland and Sandra Bullock would be better... but it's not.
This film is a remake of an earlier Dutch film... and is nowhere near as good. The acting oddly enough isn't at fault here. All the main actors do very adequate jobs at giving the performances they were clearly instructed to give... and that's where part of the problem lies. I'm not sure Director George Sluizer knew what exactly he was making. The film seems to be missing pieces of development both with regards to the characters and the plot.
I takes a lot of what made the original film memorable and removes it in order to give it more North American appeal I suppose... and by doing so, really killed what could have likely been a decent remake.
½ March 5, 2015
This Movie Has Stayed with me. This guy is a Sociopath (Jeff Bridges), to bury a Woman Alive & watch her on Camera to see how she Reacts & Dies.Years later he brings the then Boyfriend, who has a new life, back to "experience" what happened to her.This Movie gave me C-H-I-L-L-S, Jeff Bridges was way too good to ever forget him in this Role
February 27, 2015
Good movie. I never listen to what critics think.
½ February 9, 2015
Kind of a drive-in movie feel, but a good thriller none the less. Jeff Bridges plays the nut...which is interesting because Kiefer Sutherland is also in the movie and the roles could have easily been reversed.
½ February 7, 2015
This is an awesome movie. one my favs.
January 10, 2015
El argumento es bueno pero le hace falta algo.
½ December 17, 2014
A workman-like Hollywood remake in English using North American cast, it loses much in the "translation" from the original Dutch film. The faults are not with Sutherland, Bullock, Bridges, or even Sluizer (other than caving to Hollywood's demands). Thanks to Hollywood producers and studio execs, we once again find a powerful European film eviscerated and ultimately castrated by them for a feel-good happy ending in their grossly misguided effort to morph the story into a worn-out plot formula to sell to the masses. The result is a "Reader's Digest" 4th Grade comprehension level presentation with the story line rearranged eliminating the mystery and suspense pervasive in the original. Worst of all is the Hollywood required Happy Ending that utterly destroys the original's horrific ending and its closure to a major element of symbolism used several times throughout. If you're very prone to nightmares after watching any level of horror film, this is your version to see where everyone lives happily ever after and it will be but a mild and predictable thriller. If you're not, the original Dutch version is the one to see. It is much more powerful with greater mystery, suspense, and a visceral horror film ending that closes plot elements, albeit with ultimate tragedy.
November 26, 2014
Note to self: never get into a car with Jeff Bridges. Although the film was vague and confusing at times, it wasn't a terrible experience.
November 21, 2014
I haven't seen this since it was first released on video and at that, I have never seen the Dutch original. It still holds up as a decent thriller and Bridges is the balls.
November 1, 2014
Should have just watched the Dutch version. A great performance from Jeff Bridges but the ending is complete hollywood bullshit and pretty much ruins the movie.