Buena Vista Social Club Reviews

• Feb 26, 2019

It was an absolute treat. I fell in love with the musicians. I cried and laughed with them. I have followed the music for a long time. The way the filming was done was so real and true. Often I have seen documentaries try to push an agenda. Here, it was pure. It was telling the stories in a non-cliche, realist manner of these forgotten amazing musicians. Please please watch this film and maybe travel to Cuba!

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Nov 29, 2018

The music is definitely wonderful, and it is more than a pleasure to listen to these musicians talk about their lives; but it is hard to overlook Wenders' weird direction, with his annoying camera circling around them all the time, and the excess of attention he pays to Ry Cooder.

• Nov 28, 2017

Wim Wenders documents the intoxicating melodies of Cuban music and the touching spiritual musical journey of its musicians from a hiatus of over a decade in their homeland to Carnegie Hall, New York.

• Nov 08, 2017

Very good documentary. Very insightful. It was a bit boring sometimes, but it's a wonder to watch these rather unknown musicians play their hearts out and create such beautiful music.

• Aug 01, 2017

A film I should have seen ten years ago when I listened to the group rather often. Better late than never they say, and it did freshen up my interest at least. We witness a concert, not all of it since the members takes turn on doing interviews and telling their stories to the film crew as it goes on. Wim makes a nice presentation this way, as music is blended in with facts and stories. The story is fascinating but nothing super special. Cool music, nice fellas and an OK documentary. 6 out of 10 cigars.

• May 30, 2017

A rich and beautiful story of music, love, passion and persistence. I've seen it twice, and will probably see it again.

• May 20, 2016

Their life, music, and everything makes me a big fan of the cuban jazz music

Their life, music, and everything makes me a big fan of the cuban jazz music

• Mar 05, 2016

Fantastic music, great stories. A charming film full of joy and love for music.

Fantastic music, great stories. A charming film full of joy and love for music.

• May 06, 2015

awesome and moving doc

awesome and moving doc

• Dec 03, 2014

loved the stream of consciousness style. he truly brought out the spirit of these artists, & their joy in making music ... & I was very inspired by this film !