Race - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Race Reviews

½ June 6, 2016
The movie has a good plot, which is quite strong in the first half but becomes way unrealistic during the 2nd half, which I think, ruined the movie. Despite that, you do get a great suspense movie, as expected from Abbas Mastan, with great songs, humor, and an entertaining movie.
May 24, 2014
An interesting movie!
March 21, 2014
Race (Abbas Alibhai Burmawalla and Mastan Alibhai Burmawalla, 2008)

I won't say Race is the worst movie I watched this week-that dishonor goes to the painful Black Forest-but if the brothers Burmawalla were trying to come up with a bad American made-for-TV thriller, they couldn't have done a better job than this. Every time I watch one of those epic-length Bollywood films (and this one, clocking in just under 2:45, is actually pretty short for a big-budget Bollywood musical thriller), I find myself wondering how they're going to stretch the usually-thin story out to such a length. In this case, they didn't even try; every once in a while they just changed the story surrounding the core thriller, and any attempts to stick the surrounding pieces together were absent.

Plot: Ranvir (Kal Ho Naa Ho's Saif Ali Khan) and Rajiv (Taal's Akshaye Khanna) are stepbrothers who run one of the world's most powerful Thoroughbred breeding operations. (It's not coincidence, methinks, that Khan bears a passing resemblance to Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa al-Makhtoum and Khanna to his brother Hamdan; the Makhtoum family actually do.) Ranvir is dating a high fashion model, Sonia (Jism's Bipasha Basou), but when Rajiv meets her, it's love at first sight. Not that Ranvir's complaining, his secretary Sophia (Ek Tha Tiger's Katrina Kaif) is a knockout herself. The two brothers are as close as can be on the surface, but it turns out there's all sorts of familial baggage there; in the opening scene of the film, there is an attempt on Ranvir's life, and we find out pretty early on that Rajiv was behind it. His second attempt, after Rajiv and Sonia have been married a few years, is more successful, and it turns out that Rajiv, who had a $20 million insurance policy on his brother, had forgotten about the fact that their father had a $100 million policy on each. Score! Enter, however, Inspector Robert D'Costa (Slumdog Millionaire's Anil Kapoor) and his assistant Mini (Darna Mana Hai's Sameera Reddy), who finds the whole thing suspicious.

Pretty much every twist in this movie you'll see coming from a mile off (there was one that took me by surprise), and the scenery around them is so generic as to be utterly replaceable, with car chases galore, romance subplots that stumble over their own feet on a regular basis, improbable deaths and even more improbable returns, and of course a Poirot moment (where, in flashback, we see all the bits of the narrative we were missing that made it a mystery). The whole is patently ridiculous. The few places it does work are when the movie falls back on generic Bollywood trappings, for example the inevitable comedy that surfaces every once in a while; that works, in the often-uncomfortable Bollywood style. And, well, a car chase is a car chase, so if you're a fan of car chases, you'll be amused enough when it's happening. But those minor things probably won't be enough to leave you with a good feeling when the movie's over; they certainly weren't enough for me. **
December 28, 2013
If you're looking for entertaining and cheesy with some good twists and turns, this is the movie for you!
August 26, 2013
Fun and exciting. "Delivers solid entertainment thanks to a precision-built script and performances that are all in the same key." "[A] twisty, gorgeously shot and edited house of games with some of the all-out best action scenes you'll ever see."
June 23, 2013
First Bollywood film. Wasn't sure what to make of it but I enjoyed myself.
½ February 20, 2013
An ideal entertainer with superb twists.
October 29, 2012
The first movie where i actually thought Saif Ali Khan looked hottt
June 21, 2012
Gets really interesting at a point. but not good ending.
½ April 21, 2012
Really great movie..
Must Watch...
Awesome acting by Akshay Khanna
February 18, 2012
Nice entertaining movie especially from indian standards. Good music. Nice acting esp. Saif Khan. And Katrian Kaif is there :p 8/10
December 26, 2011
Best hindi movie i have ever seen- no joke
December 24, 2011
RACE is a solid entertainer! A tees-maar successful storyline filled with hilarious humour; action-packed stunts; and romantic thriller! All you need in one, definatley worth a watch!

Fully Recommended!
Verdict = Super Hit
September 12, 2011
The first movie where i actually thought Saif Ali Khan looked hottt
June 19, 2011
There are some good songs. I watched this because of the cars in the trailer - which turned out to be the only ones in the whole movie, so don't accept more. All there is, is there in the trailer
April 21, 2011
November 13, 2010
September 27, 2010
very fun film with plenty of plot twists and musical numbers to keep you watching. starts of fairly seriously but with the introduction of cop RD and his assistnat Mini the tone completely changes. hilarious :D
August 12, 2010
loved this movie. thrilling story and awsome plot. Delivers solid, brainless entertainment thanks to a precision-built script and performances that are all in the same key.. An interesting movie! Action. Music. Drama. Fascinating story plot filled with suspense. Amazing cast- Saif Ali Khan, Akshaye Khanna, Bipasha Basu, Katrina Kaif, and Anil Kapoor. an Action packed thriller, a must see for all Bollywood fans and curious onlookers alike. Very impressive...
March 18, 2010