2 Guns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2 Guns Reviews

December 30, 2017
its good with two amazing actors I loved it and waiting for the sequel 3 guns its better in 2019
September 26, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Great story line, action, comedy. Very underrated.
August 16, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Well, Greg, we just saw not one, but 2 Guns.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Yes, it s the summer doldrums of August. Let s recap yet another Denzel Washington buddy cop movie.

SCOTT: 2 Guns introduces us to two bad dudes, Bobby Trench (Denzel Washington) and Stig Stigman (Mark Wahlberg), who are arrested at the Mexican border after meeting with a major drug lord named Papi (Edward James Olmos). During the interrogations, we learn that unbeknownst to Stigman, Trench is a DEA agent looking to acquire evidence to arrest Papi. And soon after that, we learn that unbeknownst to Trench, Stigman is an undercover naval intelligence officer who is also looking to set up Papi.

GREG: The two want to steal Papi s three million dollar stash which he deposited in a small Mexico bank. They blow all 32 self-deposit boxes in the bank only to uncover over 42 million dollars! It turns out Papi isn t the only bad guy in town. No, the CIA has been blackmailing all the local drug runners - taking a nice 10% cut off the top with threats of raining Blackhawk nightmares down upon them if they don t comply. Meanwhile, Stig has turned the stash over to his dirty commanding officer in Navy intelligence. But the evil CIA brass wants his money back. And Papi has kidnapped Bobby s girlfriend - holding her hostage until he returns the money to him. Now, the clock is ticking as unlikely hero-buddies Stig and Bobby do what has to be done to save the girl and resolve a Mexican standoff.

SCOTT: Greg, this movie started out with a promising premise. Two buddy villains are each hiding their true law-enforcement identities from the other. There is strong mutual dislike, and they even try to harm each other, but of course circumstances compel them to team up and become reluctant buddy heroes in order to defeat the villains. This is all great set-up, but unfortunately the movie fails to evolve into anything special. My sense is that this movie was rushed into production. There are some memorable scenes and instances of solid writing here and there, but too often we encounter old formulae and silly cliches. Apparently, the screenplay writers were just prone to bizarre mental lapses. For example, in one scene Trench is on a military base and is trapped in a building surrounded by hundreds of military personnel intent on getting him. It looks like there s no possible way out. But he has an idea. He finds a naval officer s uniform, puts it on, and walks right out undetected. Scenes like this left me utterly exasperated.

GREG: Scott, the premise is that the Navy, CIA, and DEA are all descending on this small Mexican town, each looking to take advantage of the backwards drug lords. If you let that go and enjoy the film you will have a shot at a good time with 2 Guns. However, every time there is a confrontation between one of the bad guys and one of the heroes, the bad guy makes the decision to let our heroes go! It s beyond comprehension and caused me to feel that there was no point to the film. It was just situation after pointless situation that was resolved by letting our heroes walk away to solve the main goal of the film: finding the money.

SCOTT: Yes, when the bad guys kept capturing our heroes, and then letting them go, it was a Houston, we have a problem kind of moment. At the same time, 2 Guns has some positive things going for it. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg enjoy a nice chemistry together, and I found myself genuinely liking them and rooting for them to defeat Papi, who himself is a commendable villain. But when all is said and done, 2 Guns is a run-of-the-mill action flic without a whole lot of depth or originality beyond its promising premise. I award this movie 2 Reels out of 5. In terms of heroes, I didn t see much character growth and development, or mentoring, or many of the elements of the hero journey. So I give the film 2 Heroes out of 5, too. Movie: Heroes:

GREG: This looks like another attempt to attract two audiences: older folks who appreciate Denzel Washington and younger folks who appreciate Mark Wahlberg. And in that sense it succeeds. (A similar attempt was last year s Safe House with Ryan Reynolds and Denzel.) Both men are hunky and bring their own wit and charm to the screen. But there isn t much for either man to do in this film. The buddy relationship is crudely written and individually they are cardboard cutouts of what you d expect from an odd couple (see our review of The Heat for a female buddy cop movie). I m with you, Scott. 2 Reels for entertaining us with chases and banter, and 2 Heroes for a typical buddy cop relationship. Movie: Heroes:

SCOTT:
June 18, 2017
Washington and Wahlberg work well together
May 28, 2017
Wahlberg and Washington have great chemistry and did their job well as the acting component, although I can't say the same for the movie's writers and director combined.
April 17, 2017
Anything with Denzel is a winner. Good movie.
March 20, 2017
This was an awesome movie!!! It was filled with action but
also funny at the same time. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg had an amazing chemistry which made them very entertaining to watch. Mark Wahlberg is my FAVORITE actor!!! Not only is he great at what he does but he is very sexy too:) I will definitely be watching this movie again!!!
March 11, 2017
Unexpectedly good fun, excellent, a really good enjoyable film!
February 16, 2017
What a seriously fun movie with Mark and Denzel teaming up as a truly funny duo. This is one of those carefree, laid-back, shoot em up cop movies that has a lot of comedy. The characters are all intertwined as well. Mark and Denzel are actually working for different entities, the DEA and the Navy. But they don't even know it! In the end they're trying to recover $43 million. It got a little long and it did have some crude humor but the language wasn't too unbearable. I would definitely watch this movie again when I want a fun comedic action movie.
January 26, 2017
Acción-comedia. Con Mark Wahlberg es Michael Stigman y Denzel Washington es Bobby Trench, dos supuestos criminales que en realidad son agentes en cubierto el primero de la Armada de los Estados unidos y el segundo de la DEA. En un complicado caso que ellos mismos generan terminan involucrados con un cartel de la droga mexicano, la CIA, dobles agentes de la DEA y corruptos de la Marina. Muy divertida y con dos buenos actores
½ January 4, 2017
A fairly original storyline with some good twists. You are not sure who is who until well into the film which I liked. I think the two main characters worked well together and would like to see them together again.
½ December 30, 2016
It is a good movie to watch
December 28, 2016
This us the best of Denzel Washington salt and pepper pairing movies. He and Mark Wahlberg seem to have fun this predictable cops and robber tale. Calling this movie a thriller is a insult to the genre. But the performances are worth watching on cable or Netflix. And who doesn't want to see Paula Patton in the semi-nude.
½ December 25, 2016
Plot holes you could drive a truck through and a hit & miss comedic performance from Mark Wahlberg, the film is still undoubtedly fun.
½ November 24, 2016
I thought it was clever. it could have been thought out a little better, but compared to todays action movies it was really good.
October 8, 2016
Pretty good semi mindless action. Denzel Washington and Marky Mark have a good rapport
September 30, 2016
Unfortunately, this is not one of the best cops movies made. It is almost the complete opposite of this. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg are Bobby Trench and Marcus Stigman respectively, two cop buddies who are forced to go on the run after getting into big and serious trouble with the law.

The two leads are good, but the movie suffers from the direction of Baltasar Kormakur, as it is all over the place. Even though the movie does have its moments of tension, there is not enough tension to keep us guessing what will happen next. If there was more tension/suspense, then this film probably would have got a more positive reception.

Also, some of the film is quite nasty and uncomfortable in places, while the script can be a little lacklustre in places and it doesn't help by having horrible bad language in it.

Overall, this is one cop movie that can be easily forgotten and is not one of Wahlberg or Washington's best movies and there are much better cop movies than this one.
September 27, 2016
Great action with two great performances by Marky Mark and Denzel Washington.
½ September 16, 2016
Actually quite funny :)
Good pace and good shooting :p
August 13, 2016
Has good actors but not well written or executed. Just average.