Becoming Jane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Becoming Jane Reviews

October 15, 2017
Reviewed 9.26.17. It's a period piece for people that don't like period pieces. Light, not stodgy. And a Jane Austen movie for people that aren't interested in Jane Austen. For it doesn't really teach you a thing about her. It has more the feel of a teenage love story that just happens to take place during the Victorian era. Quite a simple, and classic retelling of unrequited love. Nothing too deep here, but it's nice to look at. And it offers viewers the opportunity to witness two big Hollywood stars (Hathaway, McAvoy) in their nascent stages. But will likely disappoint fans of heavier substance, historical accuracy or large scale period recreations.
December 24, 2016
WARNING!!!!! not a romantic comedy like the trailer makes you think. Jane Austen's life was depressing, as was this film. I needed a hug afterward.
October 17, 2016
Wow, I was surprised at how unrewarding, melodramatic, and predictable this movie was. And, while Anne Hathaway is a very cute and beautiful Jane Austen, her acting (and maybe even looks) never quite feel right to me. Better to go watch Kiera Knightly in Pride and Prejudice (2005).
August 29, 2016
A charming period drama if not the mother of all Austen's film adapted period dramas with its familiar pleasant visuals and exquisite costumes. The only defect would be casting Anne Hathaway as the beloved Miss Austen for her dull accent and inadequate acting projected negatively. But all in all, Becoming Jane showcases the untold tale behind the timeless love stories.
August 7, 2016
This will probably be silly. I want to see it anyway.
½ August 3, 2016
The production values of this film tend to overcome the paper-thin screen play. But Ann Hathaway, James Cromwell and the ever-loveable Maggie Smith all do a yeoman's job. Very weak script.
June 24, 2016
An interesting love story with surprising chemistry from the lead actors, Becoming Jane only finds fault in its static direction, boring color palette, and Anne Hathaway's sometimes weird English accent and simply okay performance. Everything else, from the beautiful settings and great cast to the amazing score, is very good, and not deserving of the bashing this movie is getting.
June 9, 2016
Absolutely loved this movie!
½ June 4, 2016
This film is everything it sets it's self up to be. It's a wonderfully sappy, depressing, beautiful romantic period-piece and if you are into that sort of thing you will be into this movie! Plus young James McAvoy is absolutely stunner in his costumes which adds so much believability to his character's attractiveness for our protagonist (this often lost in film's of this nature.) I loved this movie and it made me cry.
May 23, 2016
Personally I really enjoyed this movie, but I am a big fan of both leads. It was in very true Jane Austen style and felt believable.
½ March 29, 2016
Bad dialogue, almost no character development. Seemed horribly derivative of the 2005 Pride and Prejudice film. Boring
January 25, 2016
Piden un romance para Jane Austen y piden que sea una verdadera película romántica, si no es históricamente "accurate" nadie tiene porqué sorprenderse.
½ January 3, 2016
A very well made period piece with an extremely beautiful soundtrack and great chemistry between the leads.
December 9, 2015
It was a beautiful movie, and I'm looking for more like this one.
½ October 24, 2015
Watchable but typical.
October 13, 2015
I'm so glad Hollywood finally decided to make a film that doesn't include superheroes, blood spurting out all over the place, or low brow comedy, all o which can be fun at certain times and places but not on a constant basis. What we have here in Becoming Jane is a movie about one o the greatest writers in history, Jane Austen, played by the greatest actress in Hollywood today, Anne Hathaway. An astoundingly powerful work even more surprising that it was produced by an industry not akin to this sort o thing.
½ October 11, 2015
I love this movie. I love how if you're a Jane Austen fan you can see bits of the stories mixed in with the story.
½ September 28, 2015
I can't help it, I love it.
September 1, 2015
This looks like it could be a very good one.
August 17, 2015
very fun and exciting. a great story!