Body Snatchers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Body Snatchers Reviews

½ June 18, 2016
The 3rd adaptation of Jack Finney's story "The Body Snatchers" is a strange, hybrid affair. Robert H. Solo, who produced the 1978 Philip Kaufman version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", started up the project in the late 80's with Larry Cohen attached. Cohen wrote a treatment that barely referenced Finney's story, but utilized a lot of elements from the 1956 and 1978 films. When he couldn't get the Cohen film financed, he tried again with Stuart Gordon, and Gordon and Dennis Paoli wrote a script. Finally, Abel Ferrara was brought on board to direct, and he had his writing partner Nicholas St. John rewrite the screenplay. The result is a film that feels very little like a Ferrara film, except perhaps in mood and tone and the extremeness of some of the imagery. At the time it was made, it was the least of the three films based on this story, but it's still a mighty entertaining early 90's horror/sci-fi outing. Meg Tilly is the standout here, and she gets an amazingly creepy monologue.
½ December 19, 2015
The third adaptation of The Bodysnatchers became a horror film rather than bringing some mystery or thrill to the audience. The special effect and ambiguous ending were great but the setting and acting could have been much improved to eradicate the dullness.
October 26, 2015
An excellent remake.
September 17, 2015
This movie built well, and was moving well (although how did that guy not know his wife was... well, you know...), and moments of cunning deceit by the aliens were so frightening! But that ending... they could've done something else. No wonder it was only 82 minutes long. I really liked a lot of this movie, but the senseless nudity was too much. I mean, she's supposed to be a 17 year old girl (obviously played by a 21+ actress), so that's creepy. But it's likely that's the part that appealed to the director... I would've given this three stars, but the inappropriate nudity which no one needs to see made this a 1 star flick never to be watched again. HRMPH!!
½ August 24, 2015
I've already watched the 1956's first film; a long time ago I watched the second one in cinema, and now this 3rd version in DVD. Abel Ferrara's film gives a fresh review to the alien invasion using this time a military base to begin with its plans. The disciplined military conduct and the alien absence of feelings go well together.
½ April 13, 2015
"Body Snatchers" is a good horror/thriller with excellent special effects. I can't speak as to whether or not it's a remake that stays faithful to the original, but my gut says that this Is a worthy adaptation. The ending isn't as strong as the scenes that precede it, but overall it's an enjoyable sci-fi paranoia film. The premise is basically that there's an alien invasion going on right before our eyes. The extra terrestrials wait until you fall asleep and when you do, you get sucked up Inside of a weird pod and replaced with a doppelganger. There's a lot of potential there and I bet you can already see why this premise has endured over the years. How do you know who you can trust, how are you going to convince the others that something is amiss and how are we supposed to win?

I found that the picture takes a bit too long to set up. I understand that every plot point needs to be introduces thoroughly and all, but considering this is the third version of the film, and the material has been imitated and ripped off countless times, you probably already know where it's going in the beginning, and you'll grow restless waiting for everyone to catch up to you. Once it gets started there are a lot of tense parts that will keep you on your toes and some real surprises as friends and foes become indistinguishable from each other. The film really convincingly portrays the body snatchers and their pods and the special effects alone make the movie worth a watch, even though the very end of the film is anti-climactic and contains one very bad special effect that's embarrassing to see. There's a really chilling moment when you realize really how dire the situation Is that's permanently ingrained in my mind. Just thinking about it makes me uneasy, and no matter how many times it's made fun of, it still gives me the shivers. It's worth seeking out. (On Dvd, November 6, 2012)
½ February 21, 2015
Incredibly boring movie. Not particularly scary with the exception of one scene which was genuinely creepy. The rest of the film feels like a made for TV movie. The dialogue is incredibly hokey and not in a fun campy way. The main character feels like a stock character from every 90's teen drama. I could have forgiven it's many flaws and it's inability to be scary if had at least been entertaining. But it wasn't, at all. You are much better off watching the 1978 version which is by far a superior film.
February 1, 2015
It's a big step down from the first two body snatchers movies, that's for sure. The original was a sci-fi classic. The 1978 remake is one of the best remakes ever, updating the original material, making the characters a bit more human and injecting a bit of horror into the movie. This 1993 remake kind of stands alone in the series of movies as sort of the black sheep.

It's not that bad though. There are some neat special effects with the pods and humans deflating. Forest Whitaker shows up briefly to ham it up. Not his best performance, but it's pretty funny. The build up is pretty nice with the little kid feeling awkward in his daycare and the soldier freaking out in the bathroom. The pacing is good and it doesn't feel too slow or overstay its welcome. I also liked the explosive finish. It was something different that we don't see in these body snatchers movies. If only the rest of the movie went in that sort of direction.

It's also a very cheap looking movie though. The entire thing looks like a made-for-HBO movie from the late 80s/early 90s. There's also a sequence with a little kid being thrown out of a helicopter that is so laughably bad looking. Half of the kid's body is cropped out right in the middle of the frame. I'm assuming the filmmakers thought nobody would notice with it being so dark and home video quality not being that great to notice the difference (like a lot of early 90s movies with special effects [ie Ninja Turtles 3]), but they didn't know that digital quality would come around years later and show all their errors! It was glorious and had me laughing and rewinding just to see it again.

Overall, it's a middle of the road movie that is a big step down from the original movies. It's not as bad as some of the body snatchers ripoffs (Seed People) and it's probably better than the Nicole Kidman remake, but I would still say to skip it.
½ December 7, 2014
Pretty good given its so old of a movie.
½ November 15, 2014
11/15/2014: The only good thing about this film is the beautiful Gabrielle Anwar!
October 23, 2014
Body Snatchers is looked upon as a third remake. By all means it is not a bad one, but the least entertaining of the three.
½ October 1, 2014
It's no masterpiece, but it is still rather underappreciated.
August 22, 2014
Pales in comparison to the 1978 version - the build-up is too slow for the length of the film, it gets good for about 10 minutes two-thirds of the way through and then completely falls apart at the end.
July 25, 2014
Jack Finney's novel "The Body Snatchers" was published in 1955, and since then there have been a lot of filmed adaptations of the tale with varying degrees of success. The latest, simply titled "Body Snatchers", had the potential for greatness but falls short mostly because it fails to spruce up the story or offer anything new.

With Stuart Gordon as a co-screenwriter and Abel Ferrara directing, this should have been a much more twisted take on the familiar tale. There are great moments here that showcase the filmmaker's taste for the bizarre, like those nasty tendrils of alien origin that creep into the victim's orifices and the looks at inside the bodies as the transformations take place. That's creepy, unsettling and something we've never seen before. I would have liked a lot more of that.

The casting hurts the film, however, with Terry Kinney an especially bland leading man. Gabrielle Anwar is pretty enough, but there's a reason her career never really took off. In fact, surprisingly enough, the best performance here belongs to Meg Tilly, who gives the film the best moment in the scene where she confronts her fleeing husband. Her "where you gonna go" speech is terrific.

Setting the film on a military base is a novel idea, but it hurts the film as well because military personnel are already so regimental that it's hard to discern when they become aliens. There's a lot wrong with "Body Snatchers", but there's enough good here that I can recommend it. It's just very familiar.
July 10, 2014
Creeptastic moments! And the side order delivered some Mmmmm Mmmmm good cheesy goodness!
½ June 11, 2014
After seeing the original and the 1978 one, what a damn shame this movie is. It's got boring characters and is just boring as hell. The effects are terrible and it's predictable. The ending was stupid as hell...

F-
June 10, 2014
Although this movie had some interesting new twists(i It made sense that anyone taking over the human race would start first with the military), I still like the 1950s version best, particularly because it was the only one with the idea that love was so important and because I liked the ending the best.
½ April 5, 2014
It's hard to take seriously do to some of the unintentional humor, as most of the scary bits are far too silly looking, and the effects out dated. The editing is confusing and the plot is scrambled enough. It ends up as a lackluster thriller with cheap ploys and generic acting.
½ February 23, 2014
Its quite a creepy and surprisingly well made horror film
January 20, 2014
This movie be some crazy 90's shit and I like it.