Breach Reviews

• 3d ago

I don't know if the story surrounding the underlying events were this boring, or if the filmmakers took an exciting espionage story and made a very boring movie out of it. I know that the movie is "based on true events" but I find that the events, as depicted in the movie, to be both implausible and anti-climactic. While loaded with quality actors performing admirably, for a spy thriller, the movie is just boring. It is filled with so much fluff revolving around the families and the interpersonal dynamics, that all of the "thrill" was simply sucked off the screen. Not what I expected given the reviews.

• Dec 12, 2020

Chris Cooper was at his finest. The movie was incredible I think.

Chris Cooper was at his finest. The movie was incredible I think.

• Jun 23, 2020

Well made but not especially memorable. You have seen it done better but the actors do there best.

• Feb 10, 2020

Compelling story. Tightly edited and directed. Well acted. No big names; just really great work.

• Sep 27, 2019

A friend of mine saw this when it was originally released and told me how 'boring' it was. While I can definitely see how this movie would leave that impression on someone, I humbly disagree. Sure, there are scenes throughout the film that aren't the most conventionally exciting, but regardless, I was intrigued while watching this story unfold. I'm a sucker for espionage cinema, whether action based or not. This being purely performance and dialogue driven, I was hooked for the most part from beginning to end. Everyone is convincing here as government agents, particularly Chris Cooper, who gives an impressive, low-key performance as a man with dark secrets. Ryan Phillippe plays off of him very well. I very much enjoyed the leisure pace too, and how it took its time to explain things in detail, even if the film's outcome is inevitably predictable. If you're expecting a fast paced Jason Bourne-esque thrill ride, don't bother. But if you're patient enough to see things unfold in an investigative fashion, this will satisfy you. The tone and atmosphere is very much Tom Clancy-esque, coupled with an ambient, mysterious soundtrack, sporadic moments of suspense and commonly razor sharp dialogue.

• Jul 05, 2019

Still relevant. Still exciting and suspenseful. A good 'read'!

Still relevant. Still exciting and suspenseful. A good 'read'!

• Feb 15, 2019

It was fascinating but could have used a bit more depth and fleshing out. It left me a little confused and wanting much more. Great cast delivering convincing portrayals.

• Dec 31, 2018

Bland, expressionless, uninspiring acting; shallow, low-fidelity plot and a surprisingly soporific execution left me utterly frustrated. I kept thinking something I didn't see coming would surprise me but it never did... and the premise that this rookie agent was able to repeatedly and convincingly lie to this veteran seemed unlikely. That the plot was aided by actions of the veteran that were there solely to make the storyline more believable (which they failed to do because they seemed gratuitous), and that the rookies wife was utterly nosy and difficult despite knowing that her husband was not allowed to share work stories with her left me just incredulous. I was surprised at the high tomato meter rating but was disappointed enough to leave a rating here so people get my perspective.

• Jul 18, 2018

Gee, they made a movie for grownups and nobody watched it.

Gee, they made a movie for grownups and nobody watched it.

• May 27, 2018

Excellent and intriguing true spy story.

Excellent and intriguing true spy story.