Breathe In - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breathe In Reviews

November 22, 2016
Felicity Jones is extraordinary ! The plot is simple and boring .
½ July 8, 2016
Could watch Guy Pearce in anything, but didn't finish this. Director kept us from involvement with characters with obvious camerawork and faltering conversations.
½ March 6, 2016
An intense drama with solid performances from the lead Guy Pearce and Felicity Jones. Even though the movie has delicacy intimation among the troubled unveiled emotions, the film`s narrative was quite lame for an disturbing, emotional and unforgettable drama. i just need to know what was Sophie doing aftermath in the film. i can`t et through the film`s end...
But a good movie to think yourself twice after watching it.
January 24, 2016
Doremus's romantic drama has nothing particularly new or exciting to offer, but still manages to achieve a rating on the good level. The notable cast and pleasant cinematography accompanied by Dustin O'Halloran's beautiful score justify Breath In as a decent and enjoyable movie.
½ January 24, 2016
Stunning cinematography and profound directing. The performances are a bit subtle but deliver the required emotions they need to convey.
½ January 20, 2016
great film!! I think this is a must-see.
December 21, 2015
Family isn't meant to suppress dreams, but somehow it does because it necessitates sacrifice and compromise. Family seems to spawn cowardice and complacency. This is one of a canon of films that doesn't like what family does to the individual. There is a car and a road, but there isn't freedom to get in and go. Family photographer yells: say cheese.
December 3, 2015
So much suffering and unsolved desires under this family's surface. The arrival of an exchange student lets it erupt.
½ August 18, 2015
7.4/10
I really liked the movie Like Crazy and how good director Drake Doremus was at elaborating complex drama with well rounded characters. And so this movie was very similar in that, meaning that this people really went on a journey that altered their life's, and that is shown on screen. Felicity Jones and Guy Pearce were excellent in this film, they had an incredible connection, and even in the earlier scenes, you could feel and see the tension between them. Also the story was a very unconventional romance that although in plain sight might seem as incorrect, but the characters and their stories are more complicated than generic, and so yo can understand from a different point of view. And although there were come cliches some not very likable characters, it was still a very good drama.
~August 17, 2015~
½ August 14, 2015
The lush cinematography is GORGEOUS and Guy Pearce and Felicity Jones are great, but by the end Breathe In just isn't as satisfying as it should be. For starters, Jones is WAY too old to play a 17 year old. She's excellent, yes, but not very believable. I just wished Drake Dorms and Ben York Jones had done a bit more with the script. It's too style over substance.
½ August 2, 2015
Amazing cast and beautiful directing make you almost empathize with very cliche characters - a man in mid-life crisis and a girl transitioning from teens to adulthood.
½ July 2, 2015
Actual rating: Felicity Jones/5. This felt like a French movie :|
½ June 18, 2015
"Breathe In" is a purposefully slow burn with deep long breaths. Why anyone would want to hurry this film along is beyond me. I enjoyed the smoldering mutual attraction, the initial looking and not looking, the yearning to touch and be touched without ever acknowledging it. And then, when those hidden wants are finally revealed, we're able to exhale for a little while. Of course, reality eventually discovers our main characters in their fantasy land and we're left holding our breath again. Stolen moments can be sweet, but there's a price for stealing.
½ May 8, 2015
"The story of how an adult fell in love..." You know what? I don't care.
April 23, 2015
pure drama.. You may get bored if you want a lot of action but concentrate on the dramatic acting and characters reactions.. great performance of guy pearce. very nice family movie
April 18, 2015
watch it again. soft slow and wonderful moody music
½ April 10, 2015
For a film that's subject matter has been explored numerous ways in other movies this one manages to give it a fresh new look with great performances from the leads.
½ March 22, 2015
There is a reason forbidden love is better left alone.
½ March 20, 2015
This type of movies have been done many times before, and it does feel melodramatic and cliched at times. It's one of those movies that could've gone so wrong and so creepy in an icky way, but it is Drake Doremus's naturalistic and intimate directing style that makes this movie watchable. Felicity Jones (god, I love her!) and Guy Pearce give strong performances, John Guleserian's cinematography skills are terrific as usual, and Dustin O'Halloran's beautiful score is an aural treat at its best. Breathe In wraps up the audience in the emotions of its characters. It's an emotional and heartbreaking drama that works rather well. I liked it!