Citizen X Reviews

• Nov 23, 2019

Great movie. One that I somehow missed when I ran the video store.

Great movie. One that I somehow missed when I ran the video store.

• Nov 10, 2019

Watching these kinds of serial killer movies, I can't imagine the amount of bullshit one has to go through to get to that point of being so fucked in the head where they can kill and mutilate people out of satisfaction. I love Donald Sutherland as an actor. Even in this movie with all his cynicism, he still has his Canadian charm but unfortunately doesn't convince me that he is Soviet Russian. It's insane to see how the serial killer takes all of his anger and frustration out on innocent children. He's a loser. This is the problem with superiors: they can be so stubborn that they put everyone in jeopardy either because of their pride or because of money or even because they might be involved in the crookedness that's at hand. At the end, you definitely get to see what kind of a monster the serial killer really is especially when he sits down with the psychiatrist. It's kind of sad his life and how inadequate he is in his sex life and how much of a softy and loser he is at his job, but it doesn't give him the right to do the evil acts he committed. This is definitely no Silence of the Lambs, but it definitely has it's moments and is definitely emotionally invested. The writing for this movie is good and the cinematography and shots are pretty normal, nothing amazing. The movie is kind of slow at times but it makes up for it with an interesting story line. It does hit even harder knowing that this actually happened in the 80's in Soviet Russia. The ending brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, "In Soviet Russia, we kill serial pedophile killers point blank range", unlike in America where he'd probably get life in prison in a comfortable cell. Great movie. But only a one-time watch for me.

• Feb 05, 2019

A must see film. Npt only that it based on a true (horrific) story, but also for the actors, the soviet way of things. One of my fav ever.

• Aug 21, 2018

Going in, I didn't expect what was received from this film. Typically 90s films are not convincing. I find there are few truly great movies regarding serial killers and this was one of them. Amongst Drama/Mysteries this film feels lesser known perhaps only because of the subject matter. However, it was at no point uninteresting/ thrilling. Citizen X reveals this great documentary feel full of information hidden inside the adaptation of a Russian Investigators true story. My only complaint would be that it deserved a higher budget and more detail about Russia's progression. If you have a morbid curiosity this is a film for you.

• Aug 10, 2018

Brilliant movie and well acted and gripping throguhout.

Brilliant movie and well acted and gripping throguhout.

• Jul 29, 2018

Amazing movie. Sutherland's performance is nothing short of brilliant!!

Amazing movie. Sutherland's performance is nothing short of brilliant!!

• Jul 21, 2018

Great plot and cast.

Great plot and cast.

• Dec 07, 2017

Excellent thriller, with the added gloss of watching Donald Sutherland's character negotiate the bureaucracy to keep the investigation open.

• Aug 21, 2017

Ending of the film caught my attention. A splendid real life film.

Ending of the film caught my attention. A splendid real life film.

• Aug 05, 2017

The docudrama approach to this story works really well. Rhea offers a very compelling performance. I wish Max Von Sydow's character was better utilized.