Courageous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Courageous Reviews

½ November 27, 2016
When I briefly read the description I skimmed over it so didn't realize it had a religious overtone. Wasn't what I was expecting. Was still a nice movie considering. It seemed to go on forever though. Just when you thought it was over, another bit started. I wouldn't see it again if given the choice. I got the gist and applaud its message.
November 22, 2016
I really appreciate this entertaining movie with an uplifting message!
October 15, 2016
Courtni Tapp
Professor J. Watson
ENG 111
October 15, 2016

Courageous is an enjoyable movie because it shows love, fight, and courage and it states the importance of fathers outside of work. These four police officers deal with rising crime, and dangerous drug dealers on a daily basis, and somehow they have to go home at the end of their shift managing to be a father.
Being a police officer is not a profession many people can do, it takes a lot of courage to be able to get the job done; however, in the correct way. There are four dads that risk their lives every day in the streets so that way they can put dinner on the tables for their family. Being a police officer you never know if you're coming home that night, or even when your last day may be. These guys are out here chasing people down, jumping fences, dealing with drugs, gun shots, fighting and stealing. Some people often say "well that's the profession they chose, so that's what they're going to deal with." However, these 4 dads look at it as, keeping the street safe their kids and family are on, and keeping everyone else safe as well. As you watch the film you watch these four dads get shot at, jumping out of their police cars to catch someone, going into people's house, getting jumped on by criminals, and it all shows a lot of faith these guys have. This movie lays out the lines on what officers do every day and what they see and have to put up with.
Not often do people actually get a chance to really see God is real. In this movies there is several scenes where God is with them. One day Javier Martinez got up for work and when he got there his job laid him off. He has 2 kids, a girl and a boy and he is married to his wife Carmen Martinez; however, his wife does not work. So, without a job their family would be homeless, because they already struggle with paying their bills. So Martinez was on his way home praying to God and asking himself what he was going to tell his wife. God was with him the whole time. He was passing Mitchells house one of the police officers, Mitchell was working on his shed, and so he asked him to come on over. Martinez walked over and started to help him and when he left Mitchell offered Javier a full time job.
God works in mysterious ways in this movie. At the beginning, Hayes stopped at the gas station to fill up his truck, well when he got back in he noticed that his windows were dirty so he got back out so he could clean them. The gas pump he was at, was out of cleaning supplies so he went to the one beside it, well in that moment a gang member stole his truck, with his baby boy in the truck. Hayes was able to run as fast as he could and catch on to the side of the truck. As they drove down the road they hit each other back and forth. The gang member eventually ran into a tree, and ran away and jumped into his buddy's vehicle. No matter how injured Hayes was he still managed to crawl up to make sure his baby was okay, luckily people drove by and realized Hayes needed help. Not often do you get lucky enough to be able to catch on to the side of the vehicle, God was defiantly with him.
In this movie fatherhood plays the biggest role. Mitchell was very close with his daughter and was all about what she wanted to do, but he never would make much time for her. Mitchell also has a fifteen-year-old son, Dylan that enjoys to run; however, he is mean to him and doesn't show the love to him like he does his daughter Emily. One day Emily was killed by a drunk driver devastating Mitchell. Mitchell the Christian guy he is began to realize what was really important to him and began to read about fatherhood in the Bible, and decides that he needs to build his relationship with his son, so he signs up to run the 5k with hm. His partner Shane is a divorced dad that has partial custody of his son. David, who is not a very Christian man has never met his daughter, his daughter came along from a one night stand at college. Javier who is a struggling immigrant, that works for Mitchell, has 2 kids a boy and a girl. Hayes and his daughter also had an uneasy relationship. His daughter often made decisions that he didn't want her too. Hayes would try to teach her right from wrong; however; she would just catch an attitude. She told her dad there was a guy she wanted to go out with, but he said he would have to meet him before she went out with him. When the boy came to the house Hayes new his face right away from doing unlawful things in the streets, such as being a part of a gang. He knew they were up to no good. So Mitchell got all his boys together and as a result, Mitchell convinced his friends to sign a pledge that they will strive to be a better father. These guys not only did it for themselves, they also got the community together and had a little ceremony at the church about the pledge they signed to become a better father.
Of course many people will agree that Courageous intertwines with God and being an active father. Some people may even suggest that Courageous is to overwhelming, such as all the fighting, shooting and gangs. People will also say that the kids in this movie didn't grow up with positive male role models; however, when you watch the movie these guys may not be doing as much as they should with their kids, they are still out doing a lot for their community. Proving to the audience and showing their kids, helping one another can go along ways. These guys are showing their children courage, and good work ethic. "I don't want to be a good enough father. We have a few short years to influence our kids. Whatever patterns we set for them in life will be used for their kids, and the generation after that. We have the responsibility to mold a life. And I don't think that should be done casually. Half the fathers in this country are already failing, and I don't want to be one of them. I'm talking about setting the standards that they need to aim for in life." (Mitchell) However, this quote overviews the statement in the article "Courageous preaches ad nauseum about the intertwined values of cherishing God and being a devoted, active father."
Some readers may challenge the view that this movie seems very logical on what police officers do every day. After all, many believe that this is a preach to the choir movie. This argument seems to ignore that these guys are doing things that many people won't do. So without these men people wouldn't have anyone to call on if they were in a dangerous situation. It's part of their job, and also in order for them to become better fathers and for the fathers around them to become better they have to reach out to everyone. When they went to the church to talk about fatherhood it changed a lot of the father's perspective on how they treat their children and how much time they spend with them. For example, Mitchell forgot about his daughter's recital and on the way she got hit by a drunk driver and died, you never know when something like that will happen so cherish every moment you can with one another. "I now believe that God desires for EVERY father to courageously step up and do whatever it takes to be involved in the lives of his children. But more than just being there providing for them, he is to walk with them through their young lives and be a visual representation of the character of God, their Father in heaven." (Mitchell)
To sum up all the greatness in this movie never doubt something, anything is possible. This movie can show the people in this world so many positive things, Mitchell new that he wasn't being the Christian guy he was so he started to read his bible just so he could be a better father and not only did he encourage himself, he made everyone around him better as well. Javier never gave up he prayed to god for a new job to support his family and it worked, he knew he could never doubt himself or family, because without an income in that family they would be homeless. These guys show so much fight and courage that would make everyone want to make there self-better. It is so encouraging, that it makes you want to watch in two times in a row. The attitude put out in this movie is too live everyday like it's your last, put out a fight and fight for what's right.
September 25, 2016
Courageous is definitely Sherwood's best effort. To all the critics who are scrapping the bottom of the barrel just so they can call it a mess, keep in mind that this was a movie made by a church! While still preachy at times, what they were able to do with this film was still impressive. The main leads are believable and inspiring, the action scenes were well executed, and the message was clear cut. The second half was a little slow, but if a movie can stir my emotions like this one did, they definitely did something right. God bless you Sherwood pictures!
½ September 15, 2016
Had to watch it at school
July 31, 2016
Very inspirational! A perfect way to show the different sides of being a true Godly Father; and including the good and the bad sides to any family in general.
Sherwood has been faithful about making wonderful family movies; can't wait for the next one!
May 29, 2016
Awesome movie. The lessons learned from the movie are priceless.
May 26, 2016
Exponentially expands plotlines and then fails to keep them relevant. Even so, the film does manage to wring your emotions quite a bit.
½ February 24, 2016
This is the best movie that has come from Alex Kendrick due to a strong focus on character, exciting action scenes, and a beautiful and applicable message for fathers.
January 29, 2016
Fine enough one ...as long if they not praying to much.
½ January 25, 2016
I don't know why Alex Kendrick movies get a bad rep from critics.
January 22, 2016
very inspirational movie....
January 15, 2016
Best movie I've seen last year!!!
January 9, 2016
It was a good movie, but not better than War Room... First movie was too long. Story was too much. and I didn't feel strong and powerful message of God and Jesus. I understood they tried to tell about God and Jesus, but they failed it... I think they couldn't tell their courageous message completely... But some jokes were really funny. Director Alex Kendrick's brother and producer/co-writer Stephen Kendrick played Adam and he did nice performance. Anyway you don't need to see it, watch War Room! That's all...
December 26, 2015
Perfect family movie! very inspirational
December 26, 2015
An absolute MUST SEE movie!!!! Possibly the best Sherwood has made so far. Amazing story! Much better acting! Decent action sequences! Makes you laugh, makes you cry, and challenges your heart. I love this movie! I can't wait to see what this church does next. God has really used their movie ministry in a powerful way! Compared to a lot of the trash Hollywood dishes out in a year, this movie is a great relief to see. This movie does not contain a perfect plot. This movie does not contain top-notch Hollywood actors. What this movie does have is power. It targets a key current issue in America. We need fathers that will rise up and lead their families as a godly example. Be COURAGEOUS!
½ December 22, 2015
31/100 - It's films like Courageous that make me think Christian movies should just take a break and figure out a way to be good. I like that the Kendrick brothers make various types of people relatable to concepts of faith, but that's about all that Courageous and their other films prove. The police side of things, which I find to be the more interesting parts of the film, are often diminished to allow for the film's message of being a good father to seep through. At least the production values are halfway decent.
December 11, 2015
ignore patronising critique of this film parading as moderation, modernity and common sense - when it's only promulgating typical anti-christian spiel. kendrick is a natural director, juggling many themes in one resounding story. it's not just a dissent against the usual hollywood fluff pretending to be profound. the film identifies and resolves social dilemmas (crime, rectitude, accountability, anguish), expressing them in pungent and often raffish terms.
November 7, 2015
What a very heartwarming, funny and touching film this is. This film is more than just the values of Christianity, it is a calling for all fathers to be a better, kind and loving parent. Plain and simple.
October 22, 2015
Amazing movie, one of my absolute favorites. You'll laugh and cry, but most of all, it will challenge you.