GoldenEye - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoldenEye Reviews

November 21, 2016
best James Bond movie I've seen
November 7, 2016
Many people say that this is the best Pierce Brosnan Bond Film. Now I haven't seen the other Brosnan films in a couple years but I would say that I have to agree with the masses. Goldeneye feels like a classic bond film set in a new modern age. Everything from the new technology, a female M with Judi Dench, and the experimental soundtrack. This film does tone down the action set-pieces for more spy-work. Not to say that there isn't action. The opening scene in the Soviet Chemical Plant was intense with two of the most amazing stunts. Pierce Brosnan plays a good James Bond. He was the first James Bond I was introduced to so he has a special place in my heart but looking at him now, I can tell that he is a tone-down version of the previous actors. Not as classy as Roger Moore and not as bad-ass as Dalton. But he gets the job done with the support of two of my favourite bond girls. Xenia Onatopp and Natalya Simonova. Both aren't just damsels in distress. Both are active characters who actually contribute to the plot. Overall. A very solid bond picture.
November 4, 2016
Maybe its my unprecedented love for the video game adaptation, but GoldenEye is a real treat. It's just purely entertaining.
½ September 15, 2016
Brosnan is totally outclassed by Bean. The best thing is the song
September 5, 2016
My personal favorite of the Bond franchise. It had some of the best chase scenes in the entire franchise with its tank scene some great espaces by brosnan such as the one in the begining when he catches a plane midfall only to save it to the sound of the James Bond tune. Pierce Brosnan puts in an amazing performance as 007, (my favorite bond actors best performance) Sean Bean puts in a great performance as 006, Famke as Onatopp and Izabelle as Natalya i overall like the pacing of the movie and i love the plot it is one of the best. I really recommend you watch this movie and hopefully enjoy it.
½ August 11, 2016
Taking his turn as the propheted secret service agent, Pierce Brosnan rocks the tuxedo in the swaggering show of confidence which is none other than Goldeneye. By far his best movie, Brosnan breaks the 'average' Bond streak with an exciting, poignant, and substance-filled action movie... a real treat.
½ August 7, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The characterisation and grittiness are what makes this film more exciting than certain Moore era Bonds, but it's Brosnan's intense performance that brings those elements slightly above the tone of Tim Dalton. Match these tropes with some of the best action sequences in the series and you've got yourself a worthy and exciting re-entry to the series.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Not only because of it's convoluted plot - outside the big moments, this film isn't quite at the top of the franchise because it slightly lacks the light hearted-ness we got from the Moore Bonds, or the touching sentimentality we got from Dalton.
VERDICT: In the end, thanks to Pierce Brosnan, 'Goldeneye' is extremelly thrilling and exciting. It's just a shame it lacks any real heart to make it that engaging all the time.
August 3, 2016
This is tied at number one for my favorite 007 adventure and I argue that it's the second most important film in the franchise behind Goldfinger.
½ July 29, 2016
9 out of 10:

GoldenEye modernizes the Bond franchise with style. It's an action packed adventure with plenty of thrills, if not for its few flaws.
½ July 27, 2016
Brosnan seems to bring a little of Connery's humor back to the series. The only problem I see here is that there is too much down time. 6 years after the last one, the effects are much better. It's just not as exciting.
July 24, 2016
Outstanding action. Realistic fighting. Great Soundtrack. Brosnan's best bond film. Just a bit more over the top than I would like...
½ July 23, 2016
Although it's kind of tedious and hard to say whether or not it's the best Brosnan film, GoldenEye can be thanked for relaunching the series after a six-year hiatus.
July 18, 2016
The revival of Bond (Again), Goldeneye spawns Pierce Bronsnan as his best with a awesome video game to back up the incredible action
June 27, 2016
good god this has aged poorly
June 16, 2016
This is definitely in my top 10 Bond flicks
Since it has everything you want in a Bond movie.

Great action, gorgeous woman, over the Top Villains like Xenia Onatopp and James Bond saving the day.
This one also has a great story and Pierce definitly proved he was the right man to Play James Bond. They couldn't have picked someone better.
Id Say the two best Bond actors for me are Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery
June 5, 2016
I guess it's good as Jimmy Bond movie, but as a movie it doesn't hold that well. Way over the top.
June 4, 2016
160603: Izabella Scorupco was the highlight of this Bond film. My seemingly never-ending unhappiness with Bond films continues. 3 only based upon my giving License to Kill (1989) a 3.
½ May 8, 2016
Pierce Brosnan is cast as the famous spy and Bond returns to the big-screen in GoldenEye. GoldenEye opens with a huge action-sequence and Brosnan already shows of that he is excellent in the role of Bond, James Bond.

Brosnan is very convincing in his action-scenes, but also manages to be very seductive and sexy. Brosnan shags the brainy Natalya Simonova and the Russian Xenia Onatopp. Xenia is played by the Dutch Famke Janssen and makes for a very vicious and sadistic villainess. Janssen is complete scene-stealer and she lights the screen when she appears on it. The cast is further completed by Sean Bean, Robbie Coltrane, Alan Cumming and Judi Dench. Dench is also a stand-out character and her chemistry with Brosnan is amazing.

GoldenEye is directed by Martin Campbell and Campbell brings a mysterious sphere into the movie. Campbell also provides killer action-scenes and this is mostly because of the great chorography. The tank chase sequence in St. Petersburg is very good. The movie also benefits from the amazing performances of the cast. Eric Serra's soundtrack is disappointing, but it isn't a big flaw.

GoldenEye is a very good starting point for Pierce Brosnan as Bond and gets every element of the Bond-formula right. GoldenEye provides us with thrills, beautiful girls and villainous liars: just what we can expect from a James Bond-movie.
½ April 28, 2016
Great movie. Top 5 bond movie.
April 28, 2016