Incendies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Incendies Reviews

March 4, 2017
Superbly acted, smartly written and perfectly directed, Incendies is a raw and moving story that establishes Denis Villeneuve as one of the finest contemporary filmmakers.
½ February 28, 2017
Um tiro doeria menos do que aquele final, que chega a ser nojento.
½ February 24, 2017
One of the most gripping, thrilling and moving films I have seen
½ February 23, 2017
The main thing that is keeping me from eating this one higher is the fact that I saw the twist coming a mile away, which is strange because there is nothing super obvious about it. However, after my correct guess of the ending, the film lost my interest a lot more than it did before I knew what would happen. Despite this, Incendies is extremely well acted and directed, and I can't deny that even though I saw what was coming, I still found several areas of the film still to be riveting
½ February 13, 2017
Finally, finally a Denis Villeneuve film I love. I knew it would happen eventually. Pretty apt subject matter considering the global political climate too.
½ February 11, 2017
Intense and shocking
February 8, 2017
The epic story of Incendies has floored me with emotions; it's long and challenging, but the more you think of the overall piece, the more drama resonates.
February 3, 2017
It lasts a little too long than it should've but, at the end of the day, it pays of with a devastating conclussion that'll strike the viewer, compensating the tedious-grimm tone of the rest of the film, which is probably the first one (along Maelstorm) to define Villeneuve's further style.
½ January 30, 2017
Secondo film di Denis Villeneuve che vedo in una settimana e stesso giudizio. Il regista ambizioso ma mi cade su alcune cose. La trama presa da un romanzo, dunque la colpa non del regista, ma trovo che la pecca maggiore si trovi nella trama un po' troppo da "soap", con colpi di scena che coinvolgono vari familiari pi o meno stretti. Bellissima invece l'ambientazione: un medio oriente come difficilmente si vede, con le sue contraddizioni e la sua arretratezza culturale, sotto questo punto di vista molto pi interessante e crudo di un documentario o un servizio giornalistico.
January 17, 2017
As a piece of art, I think "Incendies" is a terrific film. Written and directed to perfection by Denis Villeneuve, the film slowly unfolds its secrets and gives you subtle, emotional jabs at every corner, and when you find out the big reveal toward the end, you'll find yourself being completely devastated. It's powerfully acted, beautifully shot, and the story is never less compelling. However, despite all the great things in the film, I can't imagine myself watching this film again anytime soon. I have to say while it is powerful and gut-wrenching on many levels, the big reveal about who the main characters' father and brother, I thought, were uber contrived and it slightly tips into the more melodramatic territory. It is not an easy film to sit through, but if you are a fan of mystery films with a twist of Greek tragedy, then I think you will absolutely love "Incendies". It is a brilliant piece of work.
½ January 7, 2017
Complete premise is wrong, making this more of a yet another left leaning political film. Christian Arabs do not commit honor killings, that is the whole point of becoming a Christian Arab.

I'm not a Christian and I know this.
January 4, 2017
Gripping, devastating, shocking yet surprisingly tender. A story about the depths of a mother's love and her children's journey to know the truth about where they came from.
½ December 27, 2016
It's a bit too long and a bit melodramatic, but this is still the work of a director that leaves you wanting more.
December 27, 2016
I cannot possibly even begin to talk about this movie in depth without foreseeing a 15000-word essay as the end result -- so I decided to spare you.

Instead, let my rating speak for itself, and I exit solemnly, leaving you with the knowledge that if I could, I'd harvest the sky to thrust all the stars this galaxy has to offer upon this filmic miracle.
½ December 20, 2016
A great piece of art disturbs the comforted and comforts the disturbed.
½ December 8, 2016
Wow, just wow! 1+1=1
½ November 21, 2016
Oh. My. Glob. This thing started as a languidly sprawling tone piece, then steadily unraveled its mystery aspects to unveil an emotionally wrecking and stunningly beautiful portrayal of true love. The script is unbelievable, and Villeneuve's steady and patient hand never shows its cards. Just more proof that Denis is one of the best we have around right now.
½ November 13, 2016
A powerful story in the likeness of a Greek tragedy. Its structure is very similar and just like with all Greek tragedies, you can expect a true katharsis at the end. I had to bear with the SJW overtones and considered the pace a bit too slow, but the story stood strong nevertheless. Albeit I guess I read it quite opposite than intended. Rather than "love trumps all" I saw in it "you don't break the rules - they're there for a reason"
½ November 11, 2016
Really disappointed I didn't like this more, but maybe that's because I've been hyping it up forever. Villeneuve can do little wrong.
September 22, 2016
Incendies is such an overrated movie that isn't bad, but isn't particularly good either. It is such a basic story told in an ordinary way with totally underdeveloped characters and not a single plot point being remotely interesting. I was bored immensely by it and I have no interest in Vileneuve's work anymore after watching three of his biggest movies which were all to me a giant waste of time. Such an overrated, uninspired director.