Intolerable Cruelty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Intolerable Cruelty Reviews

October 10, 2016
It's fun and amusing enough when you watch it, but when you think back about it all you realize just how inconsequential and trivial it all is.
June 20, 2016
A true Coen Brothers comedy.
½ May 28, 2016
Screwball comedies stop being made for a reason. The language of cinema changed and evolved and, in many ways, it killed the cinematic appeal of the screwball. The Coens hit many right notes and the cast is impeccable but in the end of the day there is an inability to innovate which propel too many awkward moments.
April 14, 2016
The Coen Brothers sell out for the first time in this comedy with a little signature screw/oddball element from the Coens, this film is for the girls.
Divorce has to be one of the most uninteresting topics politically and in film, at least around the time this film was made.
Having said all that, it's okay because 80-90% of The Coen Brothers' films are great. There are times filmmakers will cater to the mainstream audience, particularly in Hollywood.
March 30, 2016
This didn't look like a Coen Brothers flick. It had some of the screwball stuff that you usually get but it felt like you were just watching an Imitation.
½ March 30, 2016
Loved it on Netflix!
February 15, 2016
Probably my least favorite Coen brothers film.
February 11, 2016
This feels more like a Woody Allen's movie, and not in a good way.
February 8, 2016
One of the funniest movies I've ever seen and one of my favorite Cohen films.
February 8, 2016
The last thing you'd expect from the Coen brothers is a romantic comedy, but 'Intolerable Cruelty' is more than just a romantic comedy. This is an exercise in the absurd; it's the Coens applying their unique brand of quirkiness to the genre and proving just how out-of-the-box they can be.
February 8, 2016
Far more mainstream and straight-forward than usual for the Coen Brothers, Intolerable Cruelty is a sharp, satire on the institution of marriage and it has more than enough wit to make it worth watching. Clooney and Zeta-Jones rock the screen like pros with effortless chemistry and their verbal chess matches are easily the highlight of the film; dialogue is the Coens' fortÚ and it shows here! The story follows a divorce attorney who always wins and is rarely challenged by the system, until he meets his match in a recent divorceÚ who has made it an art to marry men, then take them for everything they've got. From there it's screwball antics with each person trying to outsmart the other while simultaneously becoming attracted to one another and you get the idea. Unlike most of the Coens' work there is no darkness here and amazingly only one person dies, but I think they wanted to try something a bit lighter, but still infuse it with snappy dialogue and one great twist I didn't see coming. There are some dumb moments like the opening bit with Geoffrey Rush and I thought you could've taken, Cedric the Entertainer's character completely out of it but the main focus is on Clooney and Zeta-Jones, and it works. Not a Coen Brothers film I would watch again as it just doesn't compare to their other work, but for a deviation from their usual stuff; it's solid!
February 7, 2016
i thought it was a pretty funny movie
February 5, 2016
The Coen brothers' "Intolerable Cruelty" may not be a stand-out in their filmography, but it's still a delightfully funny screwball comedy albeit an uneven, mediocre one.
January 28, 2016
This always seems to be ranked low in the Coen's catalog, so I wasn't expecting much. But I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. It's got George Clooney playing a dunce, Billy Bob Thornton as a smart talking Texan, and a whole lot of Coen patented backstabbing and plot twists. Not to mention the intentionally over-the-top black humor style. What's not to like?
January 26, 2016
At points it feels more like a mockery of romantic comedies, but by the end it can't help but play nice.
½ January 25, 2016
Not one of the greatest achievements of the Coen brothers, but the movie is still a funny romantic comedy between a divorce lawyer and a gold digger. Interesting satire on love and marriage, and the Coen humor is definitely on.
½ January 22, 2016
Never really as funny as it is quirky, but "Intolerable Cruelty" has all the charm and sensibilities of old-school comedies.
December 14, 2015
I actually love this rom com!!
½ October 7, 2015
Boasting the sort of tight and witty screenplay we have come to expect from the Coen Brothers, Intolerable Cruelty is a sideways look at the institution and dissolution of marriage. The leads both give brilliant performances and it is the interplay between their two characters that forms the central story. As far into the mainstream as the auteurs have ever ventured, you can't help but feel the Coens have held back some of the grotesqueness that made their previous creations so memorable. For a film about smart people, it feels just a little dumbed down, especially when compared to the dynamic duo's normal scathing satire. Don't get me wrong, this is a good film. For any other director it would be a real success. But when you continually set the bar so high, it is difficult to live up to your own reputation.
½ September 15, 2015
Are we meant to sympathize with these characters? Or are we just meant to laugh at them? Not that it mattered much as neither approach provides enough engagement or laughs to make this screwball comedy even remotely tolerable.