The Land Before Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Land Before Time Reviews

August 17, 2016
better than any Disney movie
½ August 9, 2016
Savage, heart breaking, surprisingly good voice acting, charming art design and a simple but engaging plot.
August 5, 2016
I'm not a huge fan of Don Bluth, I'm more for Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, etc, but since I did see his only really good films, like I remember An American Tail and it's sequel as a kid, but later on I watched The Secret of N.I.M.H in 2015 and that was easily his greatest, but until I saw this film on Netflix and it does not disappoint, out of all of Don Bluth's films, this has to be his biggest masterpiece, this was like Bambi before it existed. First off this story is properly the best Dinosaur you'll ever find, nowadays their so generic and uninteresting, but this, this is a emotional journey to find the Great Valley while LittleFoot has to deal with the death of his mother and the way it's told is incredible, making it heart wrenching, endearing and at times scary, the animation is phenomenal, it's attention to detail and it's taken in a serious tone then slapstick and comedic, the character's animation has the realistic and smooth moves of how these dinosaurs move in real life and lastly the characters are surprisingly really loveable, you feel for them and they do actually have a purpose in the survival and help others sort of way. So overall, this is a masterpiece, I love this movie and I'm glad I saw this to this day but properly not a kid because I would be scared of this sort of darkness.
½ July 26, 2016
This is truly an animated classic that feels like a Disney movie, but it's not. The good, strong morals, memorable characters, and colorful animation are what make it a classic. It's my personal favorite film of Don Bluth's. This is a movie that I'll definitely show to my kids because sharing your childhood with the next generation is a beautiful thing. I loved it when I was young and I still do to this day.
July 14, 2016
The Land Before Time (1988) C-70m. ??? D: Don Bluth.

Young brontosaurus is separated from his family but soon finds other dinosaurs from different species. Together they try to survive from the perils of dangerous terrains and avoid the chompers of a hungry Tyrannosaurus Rex. Charming, but could have been a lot better if it focused on the natural history and even the wonder of the prehistoric time period, rather than tell a conventional monster-on-the-loose tale; also, giving the dinosaurs voices and human qualities is another mistake. These problems undermine beautiful animation. Followed by far too many video sequels.
July 13, 2016
A hallmark in the world of animation, this beautifully told and incredibly endearing tale of five lost friends is one of the most lasting tales of friendship ever told. Kicking off the movie with one of the saddest moments in film since Bambi's mother died, this is a moving story about finding your way no matter what challenges are thrown before you. The film, which is stunningly heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time, will have you in tears right up to the final words of Diana Ross' stirring song. This also features one of James Horner's most magnificent scores. Especially for those who grew up with it, just listening to the melody will fill you with an instant sense of nostalgia and longing.
½ July 9, 2016
Very surprising great.
June 20, 2016
To me, this is the greatest animated film that I've ever seen. It's short, beautifully animated, one of the most beautiful soundtracks in an animated film, has some fantastic voice work, and it's got it's heart in all the right places knowing just when to make you feel emotional and happy
½ June 18, 2016
The Land Before Time has its problems including a jarring shift in tone in its two halves, a weaker characterization, a lack of conflict and a too childish, overly saccharine second half, but the first half is quite tragic and dramatic, the film has a great theme of racial discrimination in it, the animation is solid, the film is emotional and it is overall a pretty solid, if far from great Don Bluth flick.
½ June 11, 2016
An animation classic! One of Don Bluth's best!
May 31, 2016
It's the circle of life.

The Earth is quickly changing and a family/heard of dinosaurs with many children dinosaurs are heading to the valley where they believe they will be safe; unfortunately, the plates shift, a divide occurs, and predators attack the heard in the process. The parents and children are divided and they will need to try to regroup in the valley separately.

"Sarah was on one side of the divide...her parents on the other."

Don Bluth, director of The Secret of Nihm, An American Tail, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Rock-A-Doodle, Thumbelina, Anastasia, and Titan A.E., delivers The Land before Time. The storyline for this picture is very compelling and well paced and executed. The animation style is average but fit the era and the voices fit the characters very well.

"Let your heart guide you. It whispers so listen closely."

I had wanted to watch this with my daughter for some time. This was recently added to Netflix so I grabbed it and finally watched it with her. This isn't perfect, but it is a classic in its own way, despite its warts. This has a great story with characters that make this a must see and borderline worth owning.

"There had never been such a heard before."

Grade: B
May 29, 2016
I grew up on the sequels of these films. While I understand and recognize this film's strengths and frank storytelling, it was too heartbreaking throughout for me to have enjoyed it as a child. Nevertheless, 3 stars for its objective quality, plot, and characters.
May 24, 2016
Wow. This movie is a million times better than I remember it. The writing is top notch with a powerful message of loss, adventure, and even prejudice. The animation is amazing with some unbelievable action scenes and terrific backgrounds. The characters are complex and very realistic combined with the messages. This is some of the best that animation has ever offered in film. It's one of my favorite films of all time. I couldn't be happier to say that I've seen it.
May 20, 2016
one of those nostalgic films that pulls at your heart. The children are genuinely children, I think a lot of thought was put into their characters. it's as much a history lesson as it is a teaching tool. Don Bluth films rock.
May 15, 2016
I just didn't like that much as a kid. I still don't.
½ May 14, 2016
Very much a kids film about a group of talking dinosaurs that go looking for a fertile valley which their families have abandoned them for. While this is fairly dull it is only an hour long and clearly has had a very big influence on the countless animations containing mildly humourous talking animals going on a journey somewhere.
½ April 26, 2016
One of my childhood favorites, and the reason I still like dinosaurs to this day.
½ April 25, 2016
4.5/5. A really fantastic movie that holds up well. A lot darker than I remember it being. I only wish it were longer.
April 13, 2016
"The Land Before Time" is a classic kid's animation. It has a good cast of characters and a decent little plot. Sadly this film has been somewhat diminished in it's stature over the years by an onslaught of direct-to-video sequels that director Bluth had nothing to do with. The first film, however, is still very well made and heartwarming fun for the family. Don Bluth left Disney because the environment there wasn't conducive to making good animated films anymore, and I have no doubt that his leaving the company and producing animated films that rivaled Disney's in quality, and received more critical acclaim and financial success than even the contemporary Disney films of the 1980s, played a big part in Disney getting things in order and producing "The Little Mermiad" and the subsequent films of the so-called Disney Renaissance of the 1990s. Bluth may not been at Disney anymore, but I think he was a big factor in them getting their act together.
April 10, 2016
It's got some charm, and some surprisingly emotional moments. I do feel they edited it to be a bit short, and I would have had a lot more journey in it, but for what it is, it works.

Thumb's Up.