The Land Before Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Land Before Time Reviews

½ November 24, 2017
A childhood favorite! Have never gotten tired of dinosaurs ever since, though, I haven't payed attention to them as much as I used to!
November 15, 2017
One of my favorites since a child. Moving and beautiful with a gripping storyline. Everyone should grow up with this movie but wait till your kids are 5 or older since the movie has a lot of sad scenes.
November 1, 2017
In my opinion, more than 70% of critics should like this film. I absolutely LOVE this film. I loved it as a kid and I love it now. Don Bluth in my opinion is an animation legend and even if The Secret of Nimh is his best film, The Land Before Time has a special personal connection with me, thus making it my favorite.
October 10, 2017
I highly recommend this animated film when I was a kid But hey I love this movie, its part of my childhood.
½ September 19, 2017
With a beautiful story and cute dinosaur characters, this is a children's classic that deserves props for its timeless themes and creative approach, if not for its animation level or slightly overdone message-teaching.
September 7, 2017
The Land Before Time has it's moments of telling a story of how the earth began and a journey to find your way home. Scenes that are little tense for younger viewers but mostly all good and interesting. If their is one flaw I can point out is the fact some of the voice acting sounds forced and not well acted except for Helen Shaver (Littlefoot's Mother) & Pat Hingle (Rooter & Narrator) that played their parts well.
Story: 6/10
Characters:5/10
Animation: 6/10

Overall 6/10, A good film for kids but can be random at some points
August 29, 2017
At only 69 minutes long, The Land Before Time's story is still stretched pretty thin. In fact, they even have to fill the time with unrelated musical montages and flashbacks to moments we've just seen minutes ago. If it weren't for the adorable voice acting and the interesting animation, this movie would be unwatchable. How did this film launch such a large franchise?
½ August 8, 2017
My god this film keeps getting to me every time I watch it, am I an idiot to say this movie's more tear jerking than the Lion King? James Horner is a master at doing music by the emotions, the same goes to Don Bluth for this movie.
½ July 24, 2017
If it wasn't for the childish and cutesy dialogue, this film would easily be a 5 star. I'm not joking when I say that! It immediately reminds me of Fantasia because of the Rite of Spring segment. And I absolutely love that! I am also incredibly fascinated with Dinosaur's and their history on earth. Unfortunately, since this is a Don Bluth film, it has a story with dialogue that I believe doesn't fit into the overall theme. But the Animation is spectacular, along with the dark tone and visuals! And the fight scenes (Especially with the T-Rex) are exhilarating! This is (In my opinion) the best Animated film that Don Bluth has produced (Yes. Even better than The Secret of NIHM.) I highly recommend this one if you haven't checked it out then. I promise you will not be disappointed!
½ May 4, 2017
Fondly remembered as a part of my childhood. It is still watchable and magical today as long as you stay away from the sequels, which may taint your opinion of it. This is the only movie that was directed by Don Bluth in the thirteen feature series, and it is honestly the only one worth watching. (First viewing - Childhood)
May 2, 2017
Hear we go a other good show to see!! I watched this when I was younger and I liked it a lot!! Kids can learn about dinosaurs when I watch this it could be a good learning experience but hay it is a good movie!!
April 17, 2017
Still a timeless tale filled with fully fresher out characters going on an emotional ride.
March 26, 2017
The Land Before Time is definitely a film that I personally grew up watching it and I still love this movie today. This is definitely Don Bluth's best creation.
March 11, 2017
Loved this so much growing up only think i would want to watch it was great graphics and keep me entertsined
January 4, 2017
Wonderful classic!!!
½ December 21, 2016
I do like The Secret of NIMH more, also the movie is a little too cutesy and there are some pacing issues, but the animation is beautiful, boasting the dark and dramatic as well as the endearing and profound.
½ December 10, 2016
Impressive animation, cute story
½ December 6, 2016
Great movie, but it did made me cry alot.
December 1, 2016
The Land Before Time is directed by Don Bluth, and it's an adventure kids film about a young dinosaur that's all alone, and has to go to the great valley, and while there, he come across some other animals and created the group. I feel very ashamed that I never seen this ever as this is well known, although not as famous as Disney flicks. So now I finally watched it, it's a terrific film. The acting is really good, and the characters are simple, but effective enough for me to care about them. The plot is more simple than The Secret of NIHM, but consider that it's a dinosaur film, that's probably what you can do with it, and it's perfectly fine. The score by James Horner is better than I thought it was going to be in a kid's film, and there's a lot of scenes that are surprisingly intense to watch, but not too tense for small kids to handle. It's got sad scenes that's effective enough for some people to cry, and it's got humor that has a lot of laughs. In terms of comparisons, Land Before Time is not quite as good as The Secret of NIHM as, like I said, this story is more simple, even though NIHM's story is also simple, it's deep enough that makes the film more memorable. I was going to review it as its own, and so for it, I really enjoyed it very much.
½ November 11, 2016
Beautiful animation, hilarious characters and a darker take for a children's story make this film a classic that will live on for a long time.