Meet Joe Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Meet Joe Black Reviews

June 17, 2017
The more time passes, the more I appreciate this film. I am truly bewildered by the critical hate. Yes, at three hours, it's long. But it's beautifully written. Beautifully shot. And the Thomas Newman score is devastatingly lovely.

Finally, I have no idea how this movie didn't make Claire Forlani a giant star.
June 1, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. It pulls you in and allows you to emotionally feel love, fear, death.....taxes LOL. Beautiful cast but even better acting. Wonderful dialogue. I am forever in love with Anthony Hopkins description of love, while on the helicopter with Claire Forlani.
½ April 18, 2017
Who wouldn't want to live a life as full or as wonderful as Bill Parrish (Anthony Hopkins).

For anyone middle-aged and upwards, you'll probably get it, for anyone younger, you may not. No offence.

For any father with daughters (even one), who wouldn't want a beautiful relationship like Bill has with Susan, his youngest.

A moving story, beautifully told by Director Martin Brest and superbly acted by Hopkins, Pitt and Forlani.

I am moved to tears by Parrish's huge character every time we watch it.
½ March 4, 2017
Very slow, but somehow you must keep watching. Perhaps waiting for something spectacular, that never happens. Or are we hooked by the beautiful people ?
February 26, 2017
Okay, only 19 years behind in watching this "epic" film. A 3 hour movie that should be 90 mins; cheesy; 1/2 love story - 1/4 business - 1/4 spiritual film, which means nearly a chick-flick. Hopkins, as always, nails his role. Pitt and Forlani are also wonderful. It's the story that has weakness and gaps. The ending is, by many, questionable and undone.
February 23, 2017
I keep wanting to watch it again and again. That's a sign of a good one to me.
February 13, 2017
Beautifully inspiring and motivating. Lovely in all categories, and is a movie I will never get tired of watching. I recommend it to everyone, not just because of the terrific acting, but for the fascinating plot.
February 7, 2017
A remake of the lackluster 1934 Death Takes A Holiday, this update is a lovely compelling story. Nicley done and it still wears well after almost 20 years.
January 10, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, interesting plot, great acting, musical score and twists. Watched several times and enjoy each one more.
January 9, 2017
This was a long dragging film. It didn't explain a whole lot behind the reasoning behind the plot. Brad Pitt's character in this movie was like Edward Cullen in Twilight, just trying to be a mysterious pretty boy. There's no way in real life that people would react the same way if ever they encounter such a person. It's not even a deep movie.
December 18, 2016
long but enjoyable, need to check out Broadway Restaurant in New York now...
November 23, 2016
Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen. It moved me to tears. Sure there were parts that might have been a bit corny, but even those parts were overlooked with the overall message of the film. It truly inspired me to want to be a better person like the lead who Anthony Hopkins portrayed. The music and film score was also very moving and touching the entire time while adding to the depth of the film, and many times the music felt as though it was perfectly timed with how everything else was proceeding.

I would absolutely watch this movie again.
October 10, 2016
There are some good moments with the cast, but the film gets weighed down by a three hour run time, and never fully investigates the concept of death as a character. There are so many questions and loose ends that could have been further explored and capitalized on.
September 28, 2016
A brilliant idea beautifully embodied with some fine acting and amazing dialogues. Deep and philosophical on multiple levels. This is a movie about family, love, relationships, work, character-building and everything in between life and death.
July 17, 2016
A rare case of me agreeing with the critics - this was boring.
July 11, 2016
Clair and Brad....WOW!!!!!! The perfect chemical reaction that makes you want to watch over and over. Let's not leave out Hopkins who gives another one of his magnetizing performance makes this movie an all times treasure.
½ July 5, 2016
Laborious and boring. Other than that, no bad.
June 27, 2016
it had a great cast, but I feel the story lacked any relatable quality to the average audience and squandered the chemistry that the young couple displayed in their first meeting early in the picture.
June 19, 2016
A number of things are bizarre about this one. Most notably how its syrupy Sunday-afternoon-TV-movie conceit contorts itself into a ludicrous three hour runtime.