Meet Joe Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Meet Joe Black Reviews

½ December 30, 2017
Love this movie.

Lots of criticism about the edit and the length; even post-humorously the star, Brad Pitt himself, has trashed on this film. But personally, I think it's almost about perfect.

I thought the casting was great.

I thought the direction was great: sure the movie was slow, but it gave so much room for the characters to be fleshed out. One of the few movies where every character is given depth, and you end the movie genuinely caring for every one.

Plus how else are you supposed to play "Death", the eternal silent sentry, just waiting (for literally your entire life) to collect you at the other end?
November 9, 2017
Anthony Hopkins is dynamic throughout and Pitt shows how versatile he can be with this apt depiction of Death lives for a day. The pauses and silence throughout give good power to the statements made and though some of the film is formulaic, it comes off as so much more than ordinary.
October 7, 2017
I love this movie. Have watched it over and over again
½ September 23, 2017
I still love sir Anthonie Hopkins, under the circumstances.
August 15, 2017
Glacially slow, uneventful...
June 17, 2017
The more time passes, the more I appreciate this film. I am truly bewildered by the critical hate. Yes, at three hours, it's long. But it's beautifully written. Beautifully shot. And the Thomas Newman score is devastatingly lovely.

Finally, I have no idea how this movie didn't make Claire Forlani a giant star.
June 1, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. It pulls you in and allows you to emotionally feel love, fear, death.....taxes LOL. Beautiful cast but even better acting. Wonderful dialogue. I am forever in love with Anthony Hopkins description of love, while on the helicopter with Claire Forlani.
½ April 18, 2017
Who wouldn't want to live a life as full or as wonderful as Bill Parrish (Anthony Hopkins).

For anyone middle-aged and upwards, you'll probably get it, for anyone younger, you may not. No offence.

For any father with daughters (even one), who wouldn't want a beautiful relationship like Bill has with Susan, his youngest.

A moving story, beautifully told by Director Martin Brest and superbly acted by Hopkins, Pitt and Forlani.

I am moved to tears by Parrish's huge character every time we watch it.
½ March 4, 2017
Very slow, but somehow you must keep watching. Perhaps waiting for something spectacular, that never happens. Or are we hooked by the beautiful people ?
February 26, 2017
Okay, only 19 years behind in watching this "epic" film. A 3 hour movie that should be 90 mins; cheesy; 1/2 love story - 1/4 business - 1/4 spiritual film, which means nearly a chick-flick. Hopkins, as always, nails his role. Pitt and Forlani are also wonderful. It's the story that has weakness and gaps. The ending is, by many, questionable and undone.
February 23, 2017
I keep wanting to watch it again and again. That's a sign of a good one to me.
February 13, 2017
Beautifully inspiring and motivating. Lovely in all categories, and is a movie I will never get tired of watching. I recommend it to everyone, not just because of the terrific acting, but for the fascinating plot.
February 7, 2017
A remake of the lackluster 1934 Death Takes A Holiday, this update is a lovely compelling story. Nicley done and it still wears well after almost 20 years.
January 10, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, interesting plot, great acting, musical score and twists. Watched several times and enjoy each one more.
January 9, 2017
This was a long dragging film. It didn't explain a whole lot behind the reasoning behind the plot. Brad Pitt's character in this movie was like Edward Cullen in Twilight, just trying to be a mysterious pretty boy. There's no way in real life that people would react the same way if ever they encounter such a person. It's not even a deep movie.
December 18, 2016
long but enjoyable, need to check out Broadway Restaurant in New York now...
November 23, 2016
Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen. It moved me to tears. Sure there were parts that might have been a bit corny, but even those parts were overlooked with the overall message of the film. It truly inspired me to want to be a better person like the lead who Anthony Hopkins portrayed. The music and film score was also very moving and touching the entire time while adding to the depth of the film, and many times the music felt as though it was perfectly timed with how everything else was proceeding.

I would absolutely watch this movie again.
October 10, 2016
There are some good moments with the cast, but the film gets weighed down by a three hour run time, and never fully investigates the concept of death as a character. There are so many questions and loose ends that could have been further explored and capitalized on.
September 28, 2016
A brilliant idea beautifully embodied with some fine acting and amazing dialogues. Deep and philosophical on multiple levels. This is a movie about family, love, relationships, work, character-building and everything in between life and death.