Meet Joe Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Meet Joe Black Reviews

½ April 12, 2018
Just goes to show you that critics are idiots.

Ok, so it's a tad long, but never boring. Interesting concept, highly original and well executed. Actors were top notch and a bit of a tear jerker. Well worth a watch.
½ April 2, 2018
It wasn't terrible. But: the main leads lacked chemistry, the scenes were bloated and melodramatic, the film was overlong by an hour, and - at the risk of being excessively disparaging - the movie as a whole is as overappreciated as Brad Pitt's acting.
February 19, 2018
Another greatly underrated film. Was a unique story idea, that humanize death itself. It was mild but interesting through the entire movie. Was very well done with great performances by the lead actors.
January 29, 2018
Absolutely brilliant movie. Loved it from the first viewing. Yes, it is a long film but it really allows you to get to know the characters and their relationships. It is about life and love, passion, family, generosity and kindness but it also faces up to the inevitable for ALL of us... death and as we face it, walk towards it, do we go with fear and regret of wasted time or, do we go with grace and in the knowledge that when we leave, we leave the World a better place.
½ January 26, 2018
Excellent film. All the cast shines. Some plot holes, but not enough to sink the ship. The movie is long, but I'm not sure where or how I would edit it. A satisfying feel good movie.
½ December 30, 2017
Love this movie.

Lots of criticism about the edit and the length; even post-humorously the star, Brad Pitt himself, has trashed on this film. But personally, I think it's almost about perfect.

I thought the casting was great.

I thought the direction was great: sure the movie was slow, but it gave so much room for the characters to be fleshed out. One of the few movies where every character is given depth, and you end the movie genuinely caring for every one.

Plus how else are you supposed to play "Death", the eternal silent sentry, just waiting (for literally your entire life) to collect you at the other end?
November 9, 2017
Anthony Hopkins is dynamic throughout and Pitt shows how versatile he can be with this apt depiction of Death lives for a day. The pauses and silence throughout give good power to the statements made and though some of the film is formulaic, it comes off as so much more than ordinary.
October 7, 2017
I love this movie. Have watched it over and over again
½ September 23, 2017
I still love sir Anthonie Hopkins, under the circumstances.
August 15, 2017
Glacially slow, uneventful...
June 17, 2017
The more time passes, the more I appreciate this film. I am truly bewildered by the critical hate. Yes, at three hours, it's long. But it's beautifully written. Beautifully shot. And the Thomas Newman score is devastatingly lovely.

Finally, I have no idea how this movie didn't make Claire Forlani a giant star.
June 1, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. It pulls you in and allows you to emotionally feel love, fear, death.....taxes LOL. Beautiful cast but even better acting. Wonderful dialogue. I am forever in love with Anthony Hopkins description of love, while on the helicopter with Claire Forlani.
½ April 18, 2017
Who wouldn't want to live a life as full or as wonderful as Bill Parrish (Anthony Hopkins).

For anyone middle-aged and upwards, you'll probably get it, for anyone younger, you may not. No offence.

For any father with daughters (even one), who wouldn't want a beautiful relationship like Bill has with Susan, his youngest.

A moving story, beautifully told by Director Martin Brest and superbly acted by Hopkins, Pitt and Forlani.

I am moved to tears by Parrish's huge character every time we watch it.
½ March 4, 2017
Very slow, but somehow you must keep watching. Perhaps waiting for something spectacular, that never happens. Or are we hooked by the beautiful people ?
February 26, 2017
Okay, only 19 years behind in watching this "epic" film. A 3 hour movie that should be 90 mins; cheesy; 1/2 love story - 1/4 business - 1/4 spiritual film, which means nearly a chick-flick. Hopkins, as always, nails his role. Pitt and Forlani are also wonderful. It's the story that has weakness and gaps. The ending is, by many, questionable and undone.
February 23, 2017
I keep wanting to watch it again and again. That's a sign of a good one to me.
February 13, 2017
Beautifully inspiring and motivating. Lovely in all categories, and is a movie I will never get tired of watching. I recommend it to everyone, not just because of the terrific acting, but for the fascinating plot.
February 7, 2017
A remake of the lackluster 1934 Death Takes A Holiday, this update is a lovely compelling story. Nicley done and it still wears well after almost 20 years.
January 10, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, interesting plot, great acting, musical score and twists. Watched several times and enjoy each one more.
January 9, 2017
This was a long dragging film. It didn't explain a whole lot behind the reasoning behind the plot. Brad Pitt's character in this movie was like Edward Cullen in Twilight, just trying to be a mysterious pretty boy. There's no way in real life that people would react the same way if ever they encounter such a person. It's not even a deep movie.