Meet Joe Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Meet Joe Black Reviews

July 17, 2016
A rare case of me agreeing with the critics - this was boring.
July 11, 2016
Clair and Brad....WOW!!!!!! The perfect chemical reaction that makes you want to watch over and over. Let's not leave out Hopkins who gives another one of his magnetizing performance makes this movie an all times treasure.
½ July 5, 2016
Laborious and boring. Other than that, no bad.
June 27, 2016
it had a great cast, but I feel the story lacked any relatable quality to the average audience and squandered the chemistry that the young couple displayed in their first meeting early in the picture.
June 19, 2016
A number of things are bizarre about this one. Most notably how its syrupy Sunday-afternoon-TV-movie conceit contorts itself into a ludicrous three hour runtime.
June 10, 2016
It's kinda cheesy which isn't my thing but for some reason I just love this movie. Good acting, interesting story line and the music works well to capture the emotion of each scene.
June 9, 2016
The only redeeming thing about the movie is Sir Anthony Hopkins delivering bad lines as best as he can.
½ April 17, 2016
This is actually a great film. Even the lengthy run time some how reflects what it is trying to convey.
March 30, 2016
Slow but awesome movie big fun of Brad Pit great acting. My dad really loves it too even do he couldn't understand some english. He said his like the old guy in the movie. I told him can you buy me a ferrari :)
February 14, 2016
I mean, most of the stars are for Brad Pitt in his prime as far as the looks department goes. As for the movie, it's okay but it makes some choices that I feel limit the actual impact of the film. Why make Death so clueless? The guy spends all of his time watching people and killing them, why wouldn't he know phrases or the concept of names or that peanut butter is a thing? I guess I can get behind him experiencing stuff for the first time, that's the most intriguing part. But his feigned cluelessness added nothing to it...especially when that all gets flipped in the end anyhow for the like, only plot twist of the film (when he takes down the backstabber). There's also a couple of scenes that just come across as laughable.... mostly when the movie pauses for 5 minutes to reiterate stuff to you (re: them walking away from the diner. Or just him getting hit by that car in general was fairly hilarious).
All in all, an interesting concept that wasn't only half executed well.
February 4, 2016
Great movie especially with the unique twist
January 4, 2016
The premise of the movie isn't bad, and many of the actors are good in their respective roles, but the movie drags. It's too long and the ending was not satisfactory.
December 23, 2015
One of my favorite movies. Still ball my head off after seeing it at least 30 times.
½ December 13, 2015
I wanted to like this one, and can see the potential in it, but the movie is way too long at 3hrs. The premise is decent enough for a fantasy film, and Hopkins and Pitt are both compelling in it, but the film gets lost in itself. I wouldn't say it's ever really boring, but some tightening-up would have made it stronger and more powerful. Still may be worth a watch if a fan of either of the lead actors.
November 29, 2015
Another of my favorite movies, Meet Joe Black can be a bit slow at times, but each time I watch it I seem to love it a bit more.
½ October 4, 2015
Long film, but in a good way. Fine acting and a wonderful story. Encourages us all to stand up and be better than ourselves. Proof that Hollywood can still make a good film.
October 2, 2015
As critics said: "There's a solid 95-minute movie buried somewhere in here".
Such a nice story with such good actors almost sent to waste because of ridiculously long and useless dialogues (especially in the end!). With 1h less it'd have been a much better movie.
½ September 28, 2015
Despite having a wonderful love story, and a beautiful performance from both Sir Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt, the movie has multiple cliches, like that of a spoiled, arrogant young businessman, a rich, benevolent father, and so on. However, I indulge my own subjectivity: the movie was a wonderful combination of love and drama, making it deeply enjoyable.
September 19, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW.......BRILLIANT......BRILLIANT.....SUPERB.......MAN I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that brad pitt, Anthony Hopkins, Claire forlani, jake webber, Marcia gay harden, Jeffrey tambor, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama/sci-fi/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, it is such a really sad movie 2 watch but this is such a fantastic drama movie 2 watch........I think that brad pitt was just so fantastic throughout this movie as joe black the title character for this movie as he was so brilliant throughout this movie......

Meet Joe Black opened on November 13, 1998 and grossed $15,017,995 domestically upon its opening weekend (11/13-15) at #3, behind The Waterboy??'?s second weekend and the opening of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

While the film had a disappointing domestic box office return of $44,619,100 it fared much better overseas. Taking in an additional $98,321,000 the movie grossed a worldwide total of $142,940,100

As Meet Joe Black was one of the few films showing the first trailer for Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, it was reported that droves of Star Wars fans bought tickets for the film, only to leave after the trailer showed.

Most of William Parrish's country mansion scenes were shot at the Aldrich Mansion.

The place where Susan (Claire Forlani) and Joe Black (Brad Pitt) first meet is Broadway Restaurant, at 2664 Broadway and West 101st Street, Manhattan.

Critical response

The film received mainly mixed reviews by critics. Siskel and Ebert gave it "Two Thumbs Up", with Ebert adding "there's so much that's fine in this movie". The film has a 51% "Rotten" response from Rotten Tomatoes, with the site's consensus calling the film "Glacially slow, [and] uneventful." Anthony Hopkins was nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Actor and Claire Forlani was nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress. However, the film also earned a Razzie Award nomination for Worst Remake or Sequel.

Edited version

A two-hour version was made to show on television and airline flights, by cutting most of the plotline involving the Hopkins character's business. As Brest derided this edit of his film and disowned it, the director's credit was changed to the Hollywood pseudonym Alan Smithee.

I think that Claire forlani (from the brilliant cult classics 1995 Mallrats Brandi Svenning), was brilliant as the love interest of brad pitt throughout this movie as she was really good throughout this movie......I think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
August 23, 2015
Take a moment and step outside of everything you've ever known and see life through the simplistic yet magical moments exposed in this portrayal of death taking a vacation.