Mrs. Ratcliffe's Revolution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mrs. Ratcliffe's Revolution Reviews

July 2, 2012
Funny satire of life in communist areas from a hilarious viewpoint. Rightfully so, it also has its rather serious moments.
November 4, 2011
Littered with absurd historic inaccuracies this is a banal and only occasionally funny movie that rambled along without much of a story or purpose. Watchable and forgettable...
½ October 24, 2011
Dire with dreadful accents.
April 11, 2011
The most important characteristic of "Mrs. Ratcliffe's Revolution" is its soul. Yes, yes, we all have seen similar films before but this is still a special one - hilarious, moving, realistic, a cry for freedom.
January 28, 2011
A simple British housewife gets dragged to a small town in East germany because her husband is a sympathisant of communism. Mrs. Ratcliffe musts survive her new life, her cheeky neighbour, and her new idea about revolution.
½ August 31, 2010
Well acted and funny story with a great role for Tate
½ August 30, 2010
Ihan katottava pätkä!
August 8, 2010
This is an attempt to do period piece with esthetics borrowed from films of Jeunet. Script writers pen remains not sharp enough to actually find out something especially funny or brilliant out of british family deciding to move to east Germany.
June 7, 2010
synopsis:

The Ratcliffes decided that being in boring England with all the music, drugs and sex are not just their lives. So they decided to go to East Berlin to get a taste of Marx and Lenin. However, not all of the Ratcliffes enjoyed living in a communist country, especially the supposedly submissive Mrs. Ratcliffe. So what did she do? Smuggle her family out of the country and back to the rest of the world.

This is one movie that I find really funny even though they don't intend to. No intentional "accidents", pie in the face or sewer inducing lines. It's just funny in the way they act as a family. Very entertaining.

And I have to say this: I don't believe that the English are stupid, but after watching this movie, they sure try their best to look it. XD

sos daisy and emma
½ April 18, 2010
Uneven in tone and all kinda fairly predictable. It's not hard to see why this movie disappeared off the box office radar. It opens with the youngest girl in the family providing a voiceover about her family and then places her character out of the loop which makes you wonder if the opening and very witty monologue wasnt just for the sake of having a lazy device to introduce the characters.
½ January 4, 2010
Hilarious, that big eyed german lady cracks me up! (Katharina Thalbach)
½ October 5, 2009
Lett og lystig komedie. Ikke det helt store etter min smak...
September 6, 2009
it was okay. not really as stimulating as ratings would have you think
½ July 19, 2009
promising premise - enjoyable but not amazing. marks for being different though.
April 11, 2009
bitter sweet britcom... i love this movie...
February 21, 2009
Really liked the script. Enjoyed it throughout.
½ January 28, 2009
If you are interested in Social Science, you would enjoy this film. Enjoy the dark humor with Mrs. Ratcliffe's Revolution.Smile!
½ January 22, 2009
Fun-ny. Some people can't stand Catherine Tate but I love her. A funny movie about communism .
½ December 30, 2008
Didnt know a thing about this movie so was pleasently surprised. Could have been done a lot better but was still full of some very funny moments
½ December 14, 2008
I enjoyed this film as I am a huge fan of Catherine Tate. She underwent a transformation from being a downtrodden housewife to a revolutionary who helps others escape this miserable Eastern Germany in the 60's. It had some very funny moments.