Mustang Reviews

• May 29, 2019

I believe filmmakers can make the best sociologists and psychologists because they can use their mediums to best depict their subjects. In this case, as someone familiar with the culture, the movie greatly reflects the psyche of its time and place.

• May 20, 2019

An interesting insight into the complete collision between 21st Century feminism and out of time traditional customs. I never massively engaged with the film but it's a powerful message and will resonate with many I'd imagine.

• Apr 27, 2019

The belief that cultures are strict when it conservatively comes to their customs is enforced as an insightful communication in troublesomely delivering a message that love conquers all through the strongly performed, though not entirely united, sisterly bondage while contacting few coming of age turns and embraced by a nice soundtrack and spaciously closeted cinematography. (B+) (Full review TBD)

• Apr 01, 2019

A heartbreaking story of sisterhood, childhood innocence robbed, and of forced cultural submission. Beautifully done, of course.

• Mar 30, 2019

Good movie overall! Slow start but progeessed as went on....think it could of been made more captivating possibly with such good story line and good actors, but, kinda just lacked "something"...ending was good....was excited to see, unfortunately.. was hoping to leave with more of a "feel good heart warming feeling"...than i did...

• Nov 20, 2018

When you watch a movie in its original version (turquish) and enjoy it , you know its a great movie.

• Aug 26, 2018

Love, love, love this movie.

Love, love, love this movie.

• Aug 02, 2018

- Mustang is a character piece of five girls dying to live - When I watch films at home, I often stop, pause, rewind, rewind again, take a Facebook break to clear my head, and eventually come back to the film. I did the usually pussyfooting with Mustang. But I eventually realised that spending time with this film was like being on a date with a really, really nice woman who quickly developed into being the love of my life. I should've listened more and been more attentive. Mustang is the story of five sisters rebelling against oppression. The girls' parents left many years ago, leaving them to live with their grandmother. In the opening scenes of the film, the girls play with a group of boys at a beach after school. When their innocent fun is misinterpreted by their grandmother, she reacts like Bruce Banner becoming the Hulk. She's infuriated. The girls have cast shame on their family and with the help of their uncle, she imprisons them, forbidding them to leave the house. It's now their grandmother's duty to turn the girls into good, little Turkish women and marry them off. If we use mustang as a verb, it means to round up wild horses, especially in order to sell them illegally to slaughterhouses. The sisters of Mustang aren't having any of that. They are wild because they are free. The young girls are movingly played by Günes Sensoy, Doga Zeynep Doguslu, Tugba Sunguroglu, Elit Iscan (My Only Sunshine) and Ilayda Akdogan. Despite their imprisonment, the sisters find moments of abandon and passion while plotting their escape. They are pillars in the pentagon of sisterhood. The last time I felt this moved by a film, was the first time I watched Do the Right Thing, which is my favorite film of all time. I couldn't believe what I had witnessed. I had never seen such an honest portrayal of Blacks in America. It kept igniting fires in my mind. The memory flashes were small, like the colors that bled on the hot summer Brooklyn day, or the look on Rosie Perez's face when she said something cool and venomous to Mookie. Director Deniz Gamze Ergüven made her directorial debut with the Turkish film Mustang. She was the only woman to be nominated for an Oscar (Best Foreign Language Film) in 2015. Despite Mustang receiving critical acclaim around the world, Turkish audiences have lashed against it. Ergüven says of the response, "People's relationship with fiction and reality and the connection between the two is interesting, and surprising. In my generation, every girl knows what I am talking about. But in my mother's generation, they regard it as fiction. There are some things they just can't see, perhaps because they have no distance." Her film is utterly striking because it is intimate and natural. It has no glitz or glamour. The story unfolds so honestly. It's like watching kids simply grow up. There is silence. There are sounds of moans filled with emptiness, moans of darkness and dread. It's easy to imagine how confronting this stark portrayal would be for those who choose not to see Mustang's themes in their own lives. I watched Mustang back to back. I finished it and then began again. I've never done that with any film in my life. My memory flashes of Mustang are the little things. The countenance of Ece, the third eldest sister, eating her biscuits, filled with emptiness, like a well of infinite darkness and sadness. Hair blowing in the wind of dreams filled with the ghosts of the sisters' freedom. It's as if the story of Mustang is an eternal song of spiritual captivity, suffering, and wonderful release. It isn't a film. It's one breath, rushed in the lungs of humanity, waiting to be exhaled forevermore. ---------- This review was first published on Narrative Muse, http://www.narrativemuse.co/movies/mustang, and was written Ernest Green. Narrative Muse curates the best books and movies by and about women and non-binary folk on our website http://narrativemuse.co and our social media channels.

• Jun 30, 2018

A beautifully-judged, bittersweet drama. Suspenseful but with a lightness of touch too. It's gobsmacking that this is a debut film for the director and the young actors.

• Mar 10, 2018

Best Turkish movie ever made. The most realistic portrait of our country. One of the most touching movies of all the time.