Obvious Child Reviews

• Sep 28, 2019

Acting was good but the subject matter was hard to swallow as a comedy and romance film. If you are anti abortion or somewhere in between you will not like this movie as it will not support your views and find nothing funny about this film. Even if you are pro abortion I just don't see how the subject can be funny in any regard. I wanted to like the movie but I just couldn't get passed how easy it is to take another life after having unprotected drunk sex. .

• Jul 07, 2019

Writer-director Gillian Robespierre delivers an empathetic, mature and smart dramedy that puts a spin on the romance genre.

• Apr 25, 2019

By taking drama out of a controversial topic, the movie feels fresh and original

• Apr 13, 2019

It was ok. Jenny Slate was pretty good (funny, interesting). Jake Lacy's character was ultra bland tho. Like to the point where me and my (female) friend decided the movie was too boring. I mention my female friend because this is a very female-issues oriented movie, so like, its not just cause I'm a guy.

• Apr 04, 2019

Obvious Child is a compelling and surprisingly comfortable look into the tragically unglamorous life of a young New Yorker. Jumping out over the potentially unforgiving ground of hot-button issues, Obvious Child employs its parachute of witty dialogue and ironic humor to prevent the film from ever falling flat.

• Nov 10, 2018

A movie that's very nicely done. It touches a theme about abortion in a way that it should be thouched. It leaves you with thinking which is in my opinion what a good piece of art should do. It has to leave you with something.

• Nov 09, 2018

It was a nice enough movie. I don't agree. But the fact about abortion being this way for some people is somewhat true I think. Maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm dumb, maybe I'm not trying enough, but what is the meaning of the title? Nice enough Indie Comedy aiming to make a point about abortion being okay and normal.

• Oct 12, 2018

"Obvious Child" tackles a touchy subject with humor and wit. I think that the movie's greatest asset is Jenny Slate's lead performance. Her character is flawed but ultimately likable and relatable. I enjoyed this movie for the most part and thought it kept me entertained for its short runtime. I do feel that at times it is too light about a subject matter that should be a bit more serious, but I still recommend the movie because of Slate's excellent lead performance that might be her best work to date.

• Sep 19, 2018

Jenny slate is a delight but it approaches its subject matter too lightly.

Jenny slate is a delight but it approaches its subject matter too lightly.

• Sep 19, 2018

Horrible movie. Comedy was horrific, and laughing at abortions is sick and twisted.