On Moonlight Bay - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

On Moonlight Bay Reviews

½ July 6, 2016
Cute Warner Bros. imitation of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS was a big hit back in 1951; Day & MacRae make an appealing couple and sing several vintage songs. The sequel was titled BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON.
June 13, 2016
I Enjoyed this old film, music was good maybe a few funny bits here and there.
May 21, 2015
one of Day's better vehicles
½ October 13, 2013
On Moonlight Bay is a wonderful, light-hearted musical, drama, comedy, and romance film set during World War I. This film is absolutely bursting at the seams with energy from not only the script, but especially from the cast led by the lovely Doris Day who carries the film - though her co-stars are no slackers either. The musical numbers are fun, the humor is absolutely hilarious, and it has the right sprinklings of drama as well. It's a fantastic musical that's hard not to love and to laugh at because it's such a fun film. If you love a good musical, this is one worth checking out.
October 13, 2013
A feel good youthful romantic musical. Doris day is at her best, her younger brother is a hoot and her romantic interest is quality. The title was chosen randomly by jack warner flipping through the music catalogue and stopping it with a toothpick on the song moonlight bay.
½ September 3, 2013
Tuesday, September 3, 2013

(1951) On Moonlight Bay
ROMANTIC MUSICAL DRAMA

As far as I know there were two successful musicians who had stories built around there songs. And that is Elvis Presley and the other which my parents like listening to is Doris Day which the thin plot about the fibs told by Marjorie Winfield's (Doris Day) little brother Wesley (Billy Gray) leading to many assumptions since she's fallen in love with her good looking neighbor, William Sherman (Gordon MacRae) who lives across the street. If there is any reason to see this movie, that is to see Doris Day lip synch some of her songs that were popular at the time. This is one of two movies re-using the same cast. Although my parents loved Doris Day, I on the other hand thought her songs were much more effective on a Bugs Bunny cartoon which I didn't know that those songs came from Doris Day the singer until after I had seen this movie. But in terms of films, I haven't learned anything more than I finished watching it.

2 out of 4 stars
½ February 6, 2013
This is definitely a Saturday afternoon movie and in my opinion is much better than its sequel 'By the light of the silvery moon'. If you're a fan of early musicals with good morals and squeaky clean characters you should enjoy this Doris Day offering.
½ April 15, 2012
Classic Doris Day! And one of her first appearances. You'll fall in love with this family and maybe especially her little brother who is so real to life. Doris shines through with such innocence (actually the whole movie does) that you will be glad you spent the time on this one.
November 18, 2011
The story resembles "Meet Me in St Louis" starring Judy Garland. Filmed in the 50s, the love story is traditional but the expressing negativity on the institution of marriage in rather progressive.
October 23, 2011
May 25, 2011
One of my favorite Doris Day/girl next door films that co-stars Gordon MacRae as her love interest and Leon Ames and Rosemary de Camp as her most endearing parents. This is just fun to watch no matter how many times I see it. Certainly one of her best; and it naturally features the famous song the movie takes it's title from. A delightful watch that makes one long for those days when life seemed so much simpler.
½ May 13, 2011
On Moonlight Bay is a charming film. It is about the new girl in town who falls in love with the boy across the street. The music is great and pleasant to listen to. Doris Day and Gordon MacRae give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written and sweet. Roy Del Ruth did a good directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the music and romance. On Moonlight Bay is a must see.
½ June 15, 2010
Cute little romance/musical with sweet Doris Day once again singing and getting the guy :)
April 23, 2010
An all-time favorite. Loved it since I was kid. Still makes me laugh, smile, and sing a long.
½ April 19, 2010
½ April 19, 2010
70/100. This is a very sweet musical, with the wonderfully wholesome Doris day. Some very pleasant songs and musical bits. Good production. It's not really my kind of movie, but it's so well done and the cast is terrific. Fine support from Rosemary DeCamp, Ellen Corby and Mary Wickes.
March 24, 2010
Great songs in this one for nostalgia buffs. Doris Day sings again
March 2, 2010
Sickly-sweet sound stage comedy drama which contains some good bubbly humour in the classic mould.
February 28, 2010
Would make a good companion piece to "Blue Velvet". Opens with an unsettling meet-cute: Doris Day dressed in tomboy drag gets spanked by Gordon MacRae (who thinks she's a boy who just shot him...don't ask) and instead of protesting, she looks up and smiles at him. It gets weirder from there, especially when the little brother flips out over having to wear his sister's old crinoline and then a few scenes later spreads elaborate rumors about his father being an abusive drunk. Small-town nostalgia has never been so eerie.
February 26, 2010
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie.....i think that doris day, gordon macrae, billy gray, jack smith play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this musical/drama/classics movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that doris day is brilliant thorughout this movie....i think that this is a good musical movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie i think that this is a brilliant/classics movie 2 watch with a good cast