The Lone Ranger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lone Ranger Reviews

September 26, 2016
I didn't grow up knowing the tv show or previous movies, but I really enjoyed it. It was a little long, but if much was cut out it wouldn't flow as well. Great and funny action movie.
½ August 23, 2016
The Lone Ranger is by far one of the worst Disney films I've seen in my entire life! I went to go see this film with my grandpa because he grew up watching the Lone Ranger tv series in the 50s. And even he hated this film! This film is also very dark at some parts. In one scene the bad guy who I forgot his name but I really don't care what his name is anyway. The bad guy goes up to a dead body and cuts the chest open of the dead body and what does he do. He takes out the dead body's heart and eats it. You heard me right, he eats a heart. This is coming from the same company that brought us FAMILY FILMS like The Little Mermaid! I hate this film! I don't recommend watching this film even if you like western films.
August 17, 2016
Best scene was the train sequence at the end :)
½ August 11, 2016
Wow, not only is it racist within minutes & also ableist, but it drags on forever. Oh but let's not forget, there's also the very important, carnivore bunnies that don't rip off Monty Python at all.
½ August 6, 2016
131221: Waited in anticipation for this film as it seemed like a long time since the last western (though it really wasn't that long - Django Unchained). Attended on opening day and even paid extra for the Dbox seats (which are not even close to being worth the extra money in my opinion). Where to start? Think I enjoyed it overall. Some neat characters, including Silver, and some cool costumes/makeup. Got to love a Schofield. Experienced some good laughs as well. However, seemed a bit long, and a bit slow at times. And, I had read there is some controversy over Depp portraying a first nations person. And, I agree. Though Depp adds some comical moments, and is his usual, unique self; I don't really see why they couldn't have obtained the same results with a true first nations actor. When the action happens it's entertaining. And when the Lone Ranger song begins, you almost feel like cheering...though that urge goes away as the song continues for so long. Anyway, decent Disney film and a western to boot. Bound to be a sequel, if not sequels.
½ August 4, 2016
Overall the action keeps the film enjoyable enough for fans of Pirates of the Caribbean, but it's plot and pacing is overall a mess. (B-)
August 2, 2016
I thought pretty solid. Not sure why everyone hated it. Wish they made a second.
½ July 29, 2016
Mildly entertaining, but pretty stupid.
July 25, 2016
What The Hell Did I just Watch?
Another Silly Depp film directed by Gore Verbinski who is better than tim burton but still shit at directing, But Not So Bad He Ruins A Movie,
It wasn't his fault that this movie was Bad!
It Was A Little funny, only laughed once but that's not much.
The film was bad and i can't believe how bad it is.
Armie Hammer's first movie i seen turns out so horribly wrong
All thanks to Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham carter being in a Gore Verbinski movie, This Reminds people of Tim Burton movies.
I saw this movie with my friend, he thought it was funny, i did too.
Even Alice In Wonderland is funnier.
I Like going to movies with friends but i don't wanna see this film again even when it comes out on DVD.

Score: 2.5/10
½ July 12, 2016
I thought this was a decent film. Not great, and sometimes boring, but overall I was good. Johnny Depp was good so I don't understand all the bad reviews he got. The story wasn't particularly well thought out or written so I think that's the biggest downfall to this film.
½ July 10, 2016
Just one of the evidences that show that Johnny Depp's presence keeps a film from being in a level of mediocrity.
June 27, 2016
not as bad as I was expecting
½ June 26, 2016
I actually thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie. The only true setback of watching is the films length. Not sure it needed to be 2.5 hours but what do you expect when it's the same director as the first three films in the pirates of the Caribbean franchise
June 15, 2016
A very good entertainment family movie I think it has many negative reviews in part because it depicts the cruelty and dark face anglos had towards native people in this new land at that time. True hurts.
½ June 15, 2016
Adventure dosen't come that familiar! Better call it Pirates of the West
June 7, 2016
I liked this immensely, Johnny Depp plays a funny and likable character, assisted in that plight by Mr Hammer.
June 2, 2016
The Lone Ranger is a bit of a mixed bag. There's a lot of admirable aspects in this film, and when they work, they really elevate the movie. Armies Hammer is actually a pretty solid lead as the Lone Ranger, despite his characterization being a little wonky at times. Johnny Depp is up to his painted face and goofy mannerism antics again, and despite being pretty derivative to his other roles (not to mention the fact that he's a white actor playing a Native American), he's never truly bad. The infamous inflated budget is put to good use, with lots of beautiful production values. The cinematography is often quite beautiful, and the practical sets and costumes are pleasant and add to the setting. All of these things culminate in a bombastic climax with just the right blend of action and humor, all while blaring Hans Zimmer's ten minute take of the famous overture. The film might just be worth sitting through for that scene alone.

It's the narrative where things fall apart though. The climax may balance humor and dramatic moments nicely, but the rest of the film struggles in that regard. Gore Verbinski can't seem to decide if this is a serious western with fantastical elements or a swashbuckling comedy. Considering his work on the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, which balanced these two things nicely, it's kind of bizarre that he can't nail down a solid tone in The Lone Ranger. The idea of telling this story ultimately through flashbacks of an elderly Tonto is unnecessary, and really adds nothing to the movie: this story is perfectly fine without it. Also unnecessary is its two and a half hour runtime, which really drags during the less exciting moments of the film. An easy half an hour (at least) could've been shaved and given this one some stronger pacing.

The box office returns may imply a trainwreck (no pun intended), but The Lone Ranger isn't all that bad. In spite of its narrative and pacing issues, there's a lot of fun to be had here, and anyone willing to go into the movie without expecting a western classic will likely be entertained.
June 2, 2016
Fun Movie, Light Comedy not to be taken too seriously. Enjoy the ride.
June 1, 2016
Great action and humour. A good mix of two. Even though it's not Oscar worthy, it's still a great action and adventure film. Suspense, violence, humour, and a good time. It should have received better reviews and box office results than it did. A great film.
½ May 30, 2016
This movie is NOT meant to be a cinematic marvel. It is supposed to entertain; that it does, and does well. Depp's Tonto is hilarious. If another is made, I'll be watching.