Trading Places Reviews

• Feb 22, 2021

Great movie, have seen it multiple times, but is still very funny. Eddie Murphy is excellent and steals the show. One of Landis best films.

• Feb 07, 2021

It was a fun movie. Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy were great as the protagonists who had their lives swapped in a nature vs nurture bet by the main antagonists of the movie. You could feel sorry for Dan's character that lost everything (friends, family, fiancee, job, and finances) even if he was a jerk, and while you do feel a little disappointment that Eddie's character can no longer feel empathy for someone leading a life he used to live, but when he learns of the bet he tries to right it.

• Jan 28, 2021

An unusual mix - a comedy that has aged poorly on the surface level, but is still pretty darn relevant thematically, combining social movement, cultural racism, and American financial corruption into one package. The film may receive jeers for its use of blackface and racial coarseness, but that's because people only judge the film piecemeal; each of those moments adds up to a whole product that ridicules entrenched racial biases (Murphy breaking the fourth wall when a pair of old upper crust cheats attempt to childishly explain commodities). Its humor hasn't retained the quality it could have in places and part of the screwball formula is definitely dated, but it's still an entertaining film even if it has the wrong Belushi. At a moment in financial history like the Gamestop short event, Trading Places seems like an awfully fitting watch with its plot of an average Joe squeezing capital from Wall Street elites after they attempted market manipulation on an unwise position. Just the idea of old-school floor trading feels so prehistoric and impractical, it's practically as funny as any actual joke in the film. Even ignoring the film itself, Trading Places had a major effect on '80s and '90s pop culture in its establishment or reestablishment of major stars in Murphy, Aykroyd, and Curtis. (3.5/5)

• Dec 30, 2020

Wonderful movie with great plot. Murphy and Ackroyd show their genius. With all of the long-awaited sequels from the 80s coming about, I formally request that Eddie and Dan look at doing a sequel. I'd love to see their take on today's financial markets and where those characters would be today. Holding off on a hostile takeover? Landis is still around to direct!!

• Dec 27, 2020

very nice with a veiled social criticism

very nice with a veiled social criticism

• Dec 26, 2020

A rehash of the old Rich vs. Poor that uses good joke formats with offensive and potentially hurtful content. Personally, I couldn't get past the first 20 min. The comedy was more than just ironic racism; it really did hurt and made me hate the movie. The use of the f slur echoed too (heads up). As of today, the comedy feels like it edges toward offensive jokes that have soured over time.

• Dec 23, 2020

I like this movie a lot. What more can I say?

I like this movie a lot. What more can I say?

• Dec 13, 2020

They don't and can't make them like this anymore!

They don't and can't make them like this anymore!

• Aug 31, 2020

Great fantastic funny Christmas movie starring the iconic Eddie Murphy, Dan akroyd, and Jamie lee Curtis. This is amazing, the story seems generic but the execution is phenomenal. I will 100 percent watch this movie every Christmas or whenever I'm feeling down. Good feel good revenge movie.

• Aug 02, 2020

A wonderfully funny movie with great performances from all the cast especially Akroyd, Murphy and Curtis. One of my all time favs.