Treasure Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Treasure Island Reviews

October 17, 2015
Decent attempt of revisiting a classic starting Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver and Donald Sutherland
½ December 27, 2013
Beautifully filmed and told.
May 26, 2013
Surprising(?) but solid casting. Convincingly and appropriately brutal. Excellent production and editing, this was mesmerizing to watch and adequately emotionally scarring (because the story is a messed up story, my friends). Izzard is an amazing Long John Silver and it is wonderful to see Silver's character development unfold, as he is the most interesting to follow (in my opinion). Grab a friend and a blanket to cry into (cry into both of them) and set aside an afternoon to watch this.
½ April 27, 2013
I can only assume the makers of this film and those that gave it good reviews have never read or completely misunderstood the book. The acting and casting is abysmal, the butchering of the story is insulting to Stevenson and I'm sure if they'd seen the film that the Randall & Hopkirk owners would be onto the copyright courts for the theft of their theme song. What a waste of three hours, ample time to tell the story faithfully and absolutely no need for the pointless re-writes. 3 out of 10, one point for Geoff Bell and two for the quality of the budget special effects.
April 19, 2013
Bonne adaptation de l'histoire classique de l'Ile au Trésor, assé long (2 partie d'environ 1hr30) mais l'histoire est bien détaillé et n'est pas ennuyeuse.
½ February 9, 2013
It's a cute little fantasy, but not worth the viewing.
December 20, 2012
it was ok for a TV series but I have seen better, it could have been a lot better, it starred Edde Izzard, Donald Sutherland and Elijah Wood, I do not want this movie on DVD
½ December 15, 2012
I love the story treasure island and this take was very interesting. I thought Elijah woods planned acted his part very well and was by far my favourite character in this movie!
November 24, 2012
Adventure and fun await ye in this adaptation starring the inimitable Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver. Fans of sea-faring and pirate tales and the cross-dressing comedian alike will discover a rich trove of enjoyment in this tale of hidden treasure, owning one's past, and coming of age. Some pirate-related violence, but certainly an adventure tale to be enjoyed by families and children from 7-107.
November 3, 2012
Rent this movie. It is what I would call a "movie worth the money". It's three hours long (split into 2 parts) but never a dull moment. Eddy Izzard as John Silver is a perfect casting. I will admit that I do not like it when movies arrogantly rewrite classics that have survived the test of time, but in this case they were respectful of the original while changing several characters motives and personas. I think this movie (like the book) appeals to ALL ages and the acting was better than 90% of all made for TV movies. Great story, great acting, great music, great period recreation and most of all FUN!! 4 out of 5 stars from a tough critic.
½ November 2, 2012
Faithful adaptation of Stevenson's classic that really stands head and shoulders above most of the five quadrillion other films with the same title. Eddie Izzard seemed a strange choice as John Silver at first, but I was really blown away by how much I liked him in the role. Overall, the casting is thorough and the acting good. Personally, I would have wanted another two or three minutes at the end, but that might just be me. Good TV film and one of the best swashbucklers I've seen in a while.
September 26, 2012
This is nice and long, it's about pirates and it has Eddie Izzard in it. You'd think it would be fantastic. It's not terrible, but despite being cold-blooded killers, because it was made for TV, none of the pirates were very scary or piratey, especially Izzard's Silver. He was more like that irritating brother-in-law that no one likes than a bloodthirsty, smelly, grog swilling, wench raping pirate. The story itself is OK, the dialogue is difficult at times because of accents and mouthfullofshit disease, but overall, it's an entertaining adventure.
September 26, 2012
Why did only 32% of users like this one? It's awesome!
September 16, 2012
Not my favorite, but glad I watched it.
September 13, 2012
When Long John Silver looks identical to Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars, stop filming your movie and start over.
September 6, 2012
A very brilliant film.
½ August 27, 2012
I never get a chance to read this novel from young.. even though copies of it was easily available the whole time. I'm glad I finally got to watch this.. but I'm not sure how close it followed the novel. Surprised to see Elijah Wood of Lord of the Rings fame in a rather unflattering role.
½ August 16, 2012
I enjoyed this. There were some moments during that could of shortened the time of the tale but I felt it was still good. Well acted from the stars that appeared. Elijah Wood does a different role the he usually does. A nice retellin of Stevensons book and if your up for a 3 hour long movie, Then I suggest checking it out.
½ August 16, 2012
Not too bad; although, they could have done something about the unstable camera takes of the ocean. %{
July 19, 2012
A rather fun retelling of the famous tale without taking too many risks or alterations to the source. Izzard is surprisingly good as the grizzled and duplicitous Silver against the justly Smollet, played ably by Glenister. Far from a triumph it is watchable and taken in 3 1hour sittings it is one of Sky One's better original productions. The one poor part was the horribly miscast Wood, who either didn't care for the work or just couldn't fulfill the role of an emaciated and deranged Gunn and was a constant distraction compared to the rest of the cast.