Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Water Reviews

½ April 30, 2016
Deepa Mehta's "Water," the final installment in her Elements Trilogy, is a fascinating and educational look at how widows were (and still are) treated poorly in India thanks to outdated texts and traditions. After viewing "Water," it has become apparent that no amount of water, holy or otherwise, will be able to clean India of these disgusting acts. While you're likely familiar with the plot (see "Oliver Twist" and the beginning of "Farewell My Concubine"), this film flows smoothly and the scenery is oftentimes very pretty to look at. However, some of this film's duller moments weigh on my score.
November 28, 2015
Nice movie with a message and a story of lost love. Well made, pretty, and well directed/
August 28, 2015
A fine story that is both uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time.
June 2, 2015
The people who make a difference in this world are nothing more than people who listen to their conscience. This is a profound idea found in a movie that made those people who listened to their conscience the focal point of the movie. That movie is Water, written and directed by Deepa Mehta.

While filming, Mehta received many death threats for her work on this controversial film focused on the concepts of misogyny and ostracism of female widows in India. Set in 1938 India under British rule, it begins with young seven year old Chuyia (Sarala Kariyawasam) being awoken and told by her father that her arranged husband has just died, making her a widow. She is a victim of the previously common practice of child marriage. Then she is whisked off to an ashram in rural Varanasi where many other widows also live. Widows in the Hindu India have a lower position in society. The fourteen widows in the ashram are expected to live out the rest of their lives in poverty, hardship, and worshiping of Gods. They live in a tiny two-floor house, living there to repent bad karma and to relieve their families of financial and emotional hardships.

The only reason why I didn't give the movie a 10/10 is because of the multiple scenes that dragged on for a little bit too long and it was hard for me to understand some parts. For example, it was hard to understand why she demanded the boat to turn around and why she drowned herself in the river was unclear to me because I couldn't keep track of the men outside of the ashram, besides Narayan, that later turned out to be her clients.

Overall, this movie has a beautiful and moving plot that uncovers many truths in the Hindu society for Indian women. I had known that in the Hindu religion, women that have husbands passed away, were burned on occasion, but I would have never known about the mental and emotional pain felt by these excluded women. For example, Narayan's mother's reaction to his announcement of them getting married, the rude street vendor who wanted to get rid of Chuyia, Madhumati who locks Kalyani away in a room so that she can't get remarried, and the deplorable men who exploited Kalyani and Chuyia. With Deepa Mehta's film, all these hardships have been intelligently brought to life for the thirty-four million widows in India since 2001 that are still living under social, economic, and cultural impoverishment engraved upon them two-thousand years ago by the Sacred Texts of Manu. She highlights characters Narayan, Kalyani, Shakuntala, and Chuyia in the film as people who speak out about these rules that bound widows. This is what makes them different from other people, they act on their consciousness.
½ May 24, 2015
1/2 a star. A widow trying to live against the Hindu restriction of remarrying. The actress is definitely quite beautiful I have to say.
March 4, 2015
Such an amazing and deeply moving movie.
½ December 9, 2014
'Water', directed by Deepa Mehta, is the third film in a trilogy about India. The movie Water is set in 1938 while India is still under British rule. Chuyia, a seven-year old girl who just lost her husband, is sent to an ashram for Hindu widows to spend the rest of her life in renunciation. Chuyia does not know that according to Holy Hindu Scriptures she has been destined to live here for the rest of her life. When a woman's husband dies', she has three choices: Either to marry her husband's younger brother, but only if his family permits. Or, to kill herself on his funeral pyre. Or finally, to live a life of solitude amongst other widows.

'Water' shows the struggles that Chuyia go through and it shows all of her experiences. It sees poverty as a condition of life because the majority of the Indian population live in poverty and people just their lack of money. Women tend to not be important in the view of Indians, so the widows in this film are treated as if they have no useful lives, now that their husbands have passed away. Women are stuck living horrible lives just because their husband passed away, something that they had no control over. This shows one of the flaws in Indian culture, women and men are not treated as equal.

I thought that the movie Water was alright because I think it portrays Indian cultures quite well. However, I think that it didn't show any of the good things in India and it just focused on the bad things. I think that the movie did quite a good job showing how women are looked down upon in families but I think that it should show less of the bad parts of India and show some of the nicer parts.
November 30, 2014
a very gripping tale of mistreated Indian women. This movie is true resemblance of every man's conflict of his conscience and his faith(if there is any truth in that).
Really sad!
July 14, 2014
Water showcases spellbinding cinematography, and understated, but remarkably effective performances from its cast. With an enthralling score from A.R Rahman, Deepa Mehta's take on the regressive religious mindset of 1930's India is delicate, spare, and stirring.
March 1, 2014
I found adorable the little Chuyia. Water is synonymous of woman, destiny, tragedy, tears, purity and renovation. And hope, of course.
October 29, 2013
A heavy-on-the heart exposure of a side of existence we are not aware of or cant draw to our attention because of our lack of knowledge on the subject of. The film is one of the best I've seen and one of the most heart-wrenching as well.
September 14, 2013
Wonderful film. I wish I knew more about the stigmas in Indian culture but this foreign film was moving on its own. Itis amazing that women are still oppressed in other countries. Well done film. I highly recommend it.
August 14, 2013
pretty sad but good movie
June 25, 2013
omg this was so depressing, but it was really good.
April 8, 2013
I waited this whole movie for them to play Jai Ho and it never happened. Horrible.
April 2, 2013
A deep and profound lesson in India's horrible past treatment of child bride widows that is still sadly part of its present in some areas. This movie sets the viewer on the road to compassionate outrage.
February 10, 2013
A well-rounded masterpiece of theater with breathtaking cinematography, music, and acting; it tells the tragic story of the difficult migration from religious tradition to modern-day civil rights without becoming overbearing or preaching.
½ February 10, 2013
Mehta has an interesting view into the mind of a very young widow, trying to accept the life she is now living. The criticism being made here is at times straining because of the timeline discrepancies, but the film makes a strong and compelling argument and story.
February 2, 2013
"Water" is a very well acted film that's emotionally effective. Characters that at first seem to be purely "good" or "bad" gradually reveal themselves as genuinely human, with flaws and hopes and it becomes hard not to care for them as they suffer through truly unfair and even cruel circumstances imposed on them by the society they live in and also by themselves. The film works as a history lesson (being set in 1938 India) and is highly critical of many ancient traditions. That doesn't mean that the ideas in the film are dated however; many its criticisms are still applicable today and it will definitely spark discussions between the audience members. You'll feel genuine outrage and joy watching "Water" because every frame and event is convincing. In the end you feel empowered, armed with new knowledge and satisfied after seeing the drama unfold even though your heart has been broken more than once by the story. It's a brave film that takes a stand and makes you want to take on too. (Dvd, january 27, 2013)
January 23, 2013
why people can forbid love??