Ziegfeld Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ziegfeld Girl Reviews

½ May 30, 2015
everybody is in this A picture from MGM
April 21, 2015
Big, beautiful, expensive MGM production with an all-star cast and production numbers by Busby Berkeley (including "You Stepped Out of a Dream"); Judy sings "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" and "Minnie from Trinidad." A wonderful wallow from beginning to end.
½ October 3, 2014
I'm not a big fan of Busby Berkeley but this film had a strong cast (James Stewart, Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, Lana Turner, Jackie Cooper, Edward Everett Horton, Eve Arden Dan Dailey) who manage to overcome a pretty routine soaper about three women who become "Ziegfeld Girls." The film starts out pretty strong with three women from different backgrounds finding their way to careers as dancers in the biggest show in town, but the film sadly then focuses primarily on their love lives to not much interesting or original effect. I probably never would have watched this film if it wasn't for the presence of my latest Hollywood obsession, Hedy Lamarr, and she is quite fine in the film.
½ October 11, 2013
A feel good tale of how to make it on broadway. A great cast with garland, turner, lamarr, stewart and many others show the lavishness of ziegfelds productions that seems tedious at times, but still has it moments. Crazy costumes and good music also support. Garland was great in the song "Mini from Trinidad".
½ August 10, 2013
The first time I ever saw Ziegfeld Girl, I came in late, and couldn't figure out who played the gorgeous Sheila Regan. Imagine my surprise when I learned it was 20-year-old Lana Turner. Later on, they lacquered her up, bleached her hair and pumped her full of Lillian Burns-style mannerisms (Burns was the acting coach at MGM). But in ZG, she's sweet, natural, unaffected and absolutely heartbreaking. She had it all, they should never have sent her to school. Love this movie!!
June 10, 2013
Good. Classic Movie!
February 6, 2013
First I was amazed I had missed this Judy Garland film for so many years... then I was amazed at how much I enjoyed this film for so many other reasons than Judy Garland's performance. From the enchanting musical numbers on their incredibly large scale to the tragic sub plot of Shiela's demise which was surprisingly dark for a film of this nature - Ziegfeld Girl was a treat to discover and is definitely one to revisit.
October 24, 2012
it's good but not great. that's all i can say :)
½ March 9, 2012
Ziegfeld Girl is an enjoyable film. It is about being discovered by Flo Ziegfeld that changes a girl's life but not necessarily for the better. Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, and Lana Turner give excellent performances. The screenplay and music are both amazing. Robert Z. Leonard and Busby Berkeley did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Ziegfeld Girl is a must see.
January 25, 2012
An all right movie concerning the passions and sacrifices of three aspiring actresses. The cast is top notch, of course, and James Stewart and Judy Garland are always a pleasure to watch.
½ November 20, 2011
Lots of Ziegfeld razzmataz - original acts and a calvalcade of stars - James Stewart, Judy Garland and Hedy Lamar lead the way in this story of the lives of just a few of Ziegfield's girls. Charming old songs and dance numbers.
October 9, 2011
Nice backstage look at three Zielgfeld Girls (Judy Garland, Lana Turner, Hedy Lamarr) and their lives and loves. Good cast, great supporting cast (I love Eve Arden), and good showy musical numbers. I wish it were in color!
January 20, 2011
Great musical with 3 great stories of 3 girls in show business.
November 28, 2010
Saw this movie for the second time now. Even better than the first! I love Lana Turner, James Stewart, Judy Garland, and Hedy Lamarr. Everyone of them were so young in this early movie. Fantastic sets in this beautiful film!
November 14, 2010
This film was difficult but quite rewarding and made me want to pursue other musicals.
½ January 20, 2010
Nice, well-produced, melodramatic fun with great musical numbers. Although I thought Jimmy Stewart was a little mis-cast as Lana Turner's boyfriend-turned-bootlegger. I'll take just about any excuse to listen to Judy Garland, but this is a rare occasion where I think Judy was outshone. I loved Lana Turner in this one.
½ January 4, 2010
ok film. nothing spectacular about plot or characters.
½ December 29, 2009
Glamorous star-studded cinematic treat following the fates of three talented singers at the height of the Ziegfeld Follies in 1920s Broadway.

Hard to go wrong with Jimmy Stewart, Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr and Lana Turner, effervescent here; there's more than enough star power to keep us entertained and certainly no shortage of talent.

Rather, we're left to lament a (bewildering) shortage of worthy numbers; a story too sentimental to warm to; and, worst of all, Technicolor coming too late to deliver what would be an unbelievable, eye-dazzling combination of performers and wardrobes.