The Brave Reviews

January 13, 2007
An early film starring and directed by Johnny Depp. It's a rather slow tale about the length someone is prepared to go to give their family a better life. Starring Marlon Brando as well briefly it's an interesting tale but the film is too long. There aren't many scenes that stand out either and it kinda feels like a made for TV film. For Johnny's die hard fans only really.
½ April 4, 2007
Directed and starring Johnny Depp, this storyline made for a pretty promising film, however the first half I found pretty boring, the second half started to warm up a little and had some emotional scenes. If this film does nothing else, it shows you how bad poverty can be
July 10, 2006
Johnny Depp's directorial debut never really finds its footing, but I didn't have the same issues with it that most critics seemed to. I've noticed recurring complaints about the film's slow pacing, but I thought that was advantageous to the style Depp was going for. However, it's obvious that the execution of the picture isn't completely successful. It looks like a TV movie, with rigidly staged scenes that don't always transition well. However, there are some things I really like about the film. For one thing, the story is excellent and the conclusion has an impact, despite all the problems preceding it. This is one of Depp's finest achievements as an actor. He crafts a nuanced, empathetic protagonist who is always engaging to watch. Brando's brief appearance is brilliantly played. His acting was unpredictable and vibrant in a way that nobody else's is, and his dialogue with Depp is exciting to watch. The other players deliver performances ranging from good to terrible, which contributes to the movie's inconsistency overall.
February 17, 2015
Bad. Teenage boy fantasy of a 'cool edgy film.' A mix of hyper-Lynchian atmosphere and "Kooky Weirdness (R)" mixed with overly sentimental god-bless bs. Cut the cheesy sex scene, cut the mystical father, cut the drug dealer friend, cut some of the corny music-- y'know, cut like an hour out-- focus on how much of a loser this guy is to his family and his pact with Brando as his redemption... woulda been like 80x better.
That said, Brando was definitely the best part of the film. Apparently he improvised the thing too.
November 13, 2008
I think what I loved the most about The Brave was not just the story, but the truth about the hardships indians went through. It is defiantly Johnny Depp at his best and this film is one the top 5 greatest movies he has ever made!
April 22, 2008
The only thing I have to say about this movie it, I was completely wrong on how good this movie was going to be. I thought this movie was about a tribe of indians, but, boy...was I way off!!

To set some people straight, this movie is a about a very brave man, who's name is Raphael[played by Johnny Depp]. Him, and his family are all poor, and live near a garbage dump, so that they can get some extra things to live. Raphael has a wife, and two kids, a boy named Frankie, and a girl named Marta. Raphael is in search of a job, and he finally finds one that will pay him $50,000, but to do what? That is the mystery during the whole film. Raphael build a sort of "carnival" with the money he got, that has a pool, a swing, a spinning plastic horse ride, and much more. Raphael's wife is wondering where Raphael is getting the money for this, and accuses him of stealing, but Raphael sets her straight, and tells her its a job. There is a fiesta a little bit later. and everyone is asking him if THEY can get a job where Raphael is working, but Raphael always says there aren't any openings. The ending comes soon after that, but I would rather not spoil it for anyone. You'll have to watch it yourself. All I have to say, is that the ending made me, for the first time, REALLY cry.
November 28, 2007
i would definently like to see a movie that johnny depp has put alot of effort into being that he directed and starred in this movie
May 17, 2007
I think that this is probably the most moving & brilliant piece of work Johnny Depp has ever done. I also think no one BUT him could have directed it so amazingly! A MUST SEE!
May 16, 2007
I have this film though it was banned here in the US.I cant get anyone to watch it,because of the content. If it was anyone but Johnny Depp,it wouldnt be so hard to take.
½ February 3, 2007
This movie needs a North American DVD release, it is a very good movie. Johnny Depp shows he can step behind the camera!
April 18, 2006
Johnny Depp's lone directorial offering -- and it ain't bad at all! Native American Raphael determines that the only way he can "provide for his family" is to sell himself to Marlon Brando -- to be featured in a snuff film. "The Brave" follows Raphael in his final week, as he makes peace with his life, so to speak, and enjoys the comfort and company of his wife and their children, in a manner that, I imagine, only a dead man can.
May 27, 2013
not bad but to slow for me.
½ November 11, 2012
Interesting concept with a direction I did not expect. A big letdown though.
October 22, 2012
The Brave is actor Johnny Depp's debut film as a director and while the film is flawed in many ways it must be said that it is a pretty decent attempt, Depp who became a household name in the late 80's and early 90's directs and stars in a tale about a Native American man who is willing to go to very extreme lengths to provide for his family. Based on a novel that has a similar story Depp's first attempt at directing isn't a bad one but it is clear that there is significant room for improvement as the film goes on for far too long and it is also a bit slow to start however the second half of the film is extremely powerful and the ever consistent Depp is magnificent in the starring role.

Raphael is a native American man who lives in a slum-junkyard neighborhood with his wife and two children and he makes a little money be selling scrap items that he finds in the rubbish. When Raphael is offered a substantial amount of money to appear in a snuff film that would leave his family with a modest home and enough spare cash to get by for a while he agrees to do it and he is then given a week to live before appearing in the film. Raphael decides that he will spend a small portion of his cash on gifts for his wife and kids so he can have one last week of peace and joy with the family he loves.

The Brave is by no means a masterpiece in fact it is far off it as the film's narrative is pretty weak between the first and final sequences and it definitely runs far too long for it's own good but Depp plays the character of Raphael with such passion and heart and he clearly shows that there are a lot of things he would do for family by making a film of this like and he is as good as usual in this one. That the film was so widely panned by critics at the Cannes Festival will remain a mystery to me because while it has it's faults there are much worse films out there.
October 21, 2012
A dark and disturbing vision of native american poverty colliding with market forces and racist greed.
November 16, 2007
it's Johnny Depp. i'm sold.
July 16, 2011
really, really loved the movie... the actors do a perfect job and the story is just blowing your mind...and so sad...
June 5, 2011
Johnny Depp = amazing. Never surprising. <3
February 3, 2011
I have only seen this movie twice and am making a point of not watching it again unless absolutely necessary, or at least after a few months at a time. It is a beautiful story but also rathe tragic if you've read the book already and know what it's about. The ending to this movie however is much easier on the stomach. But the tears still flow like there's no tomorrow.
December 27, 2010
the director of this movie is johnny depp.....it is vry different movie of johnny depp.....bt i like thiz movie