The Vampire

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

The Vampire Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
A good vampire movie, not great, but enjoyable enough to watch.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 20, 2008
This was actually a great movie. Not sure why they called it The Vampire, but there was 2 punvture wounds to the neck so guess it fits the bill. To me it was more like a Dr Jeckyell Mr Hyde type film, as after taking a pill, which was slipped to the great doctor by his very young daughter, he becomes a Mr Hyde type Vampire, after being bite you don't return from the dead your cells just kind of rot. But it was excellent over all. It comes in the MGM Midnight Madness Collection.
iLeo
iLeo

January 12, 2008
Great!
KevinRobbins
October 23, 2013
These pills are from vampire bats

A small town doctor experiments with pills made from vampire bats as a way to extend life. The pills slowly turn him into a blood thirsty monster that kills and mutilates people. Initially, the doctor wants to help capture the culprit, but he quickly uncovers the killer might be him. Can he reverse the side effects or will he have to be destroyed to stop the crimes?

"Bob's pet store. If it's alive, we've got it."

Paul Landres, director of The Lone Ranger (1949), The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, The Cisco Kid, Son of a Gun Fighter, and Johnny Rocco, delivers The Vampire. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward, and a bit predictable, but the plot is interesting and the make up at the end is very well done. The acting is fairly mediocre and the cast includes John Beal, Coleen Gray, Kenneth Tobey, and James Griffith.

"How is she?"

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) during this Halloween season (I love their old classic horror pictures). This film was a bit cliché and classic 50's campy. Yes, this film has some cheese, and probably isn't worth your time, but the end is very good and I thoroughly enjoyed the last scene. Overall, I'd probably skip this movie and wouldn't watch it again, but if you like films from this time period, you may enjoy this film.

"I killed her."

Grade: C
August 29, 2011
Haha! "The Vampire" is one of my favorite campy horror flicks ever! Paul Beecher (Beal) is a very successful doctor in a small town, whose life changes when a dying doctor hands him some pills and tells him to take them. He puts them in his pocket, but he doesn't plan to take them. Meanwhile, work goes on-- but he's always getting migraines, and he has some headache pills in his pocket. When he takes some though, he takes the doctor's pills by accident. When a bunch of deaths occur soon after, and the corpses have bite marks on their throat, Paul begins to believe it when he has hallucinations of the victims. His nurse (Gray) is willing to help, but who knows how dangerous it is? It's pretty obvious this was going to be a vampire movie because of the title, however, "The Vampire" was not as bad as I was thinking it would be. Sure, the makeup for the "creature" is sucky, but that's the only bad part of the film. There is truly suspense, good acting, very good plot and character development, and spooky cinematography for the night scenes which all make an above average vintage horror movie. Maybe the "monster" seems more like Mr. Hyde, but who cares? "The Vampire" is FUN, I enjoyed every second of it.