Accident - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Accident Reviews

½ December 5, 2010
Understated and complex. A fine collaboration of Bogarde, Losey and Pinter.
November 23, 2009
Intense, compelling film with Michael York, Dirk Bogarde and Stanley Baker meeting gorgeous Jacqueline Sassard, and clashing verbal swords over her in that creepily repressed, passive-aggressive British style. Also interesting to see screenwriter Harold Pinter turn up in a cameo as a television executive.

I looked up Sassard on IMDB, and was intrigued to learn that she had quite a solid acting career and then abruptly quit at age 28. I wonder why?
½ March 12, 2009
Another superb collaboration between writer Harold Pinter and director Joseph Losey and actor Dirk Bogarde.

Pinter, lauded as the "master of pauses" in theatre brings this deliberately contemplative atmosphere to the film as we watch the characters in the film say more with their silence than they so often do when speaking.

The cast is top-notch, as if the exceptional photography, editing and production design. This is one of those films that can really transport me to the time and place where and when it was made, in this case late 60s England.

Highly recommended for fans of cinema who take pleasure in "moody" films, ones which require the viewer to be an active participant in the experience of watching.
May 6, 2012
Beautifully filmed, and well acted, a Harold Pinter script (and minor role), with a score by John Dankworth, this film has a lot going for it, and stands the test of time very well. The characters are all very up tight and polite, reminding me somewhat of recent film Archipelago, though there is a lot more going on here than in that. However, it's hard to like most of the characters, and it makes pretty much all life has to offer seem very bleak and empty.
August 17, 2007
I take back what I said about The Hitchhiker. The last two episodes I saw dratically improved my opinion of the series. They were stories with Brad Davis playing a sleazy TV host who follows decadent young rich kids around and another about a hitwoman on vacation. They were nasty and unpredictable and the last one in particular had an end twist worthy of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The only feature I've seen has been "Baba Yaga", a weird comic book-derived thriller from Italy that starred Carroll Baker. It was OK if dated.

I should mention one other wog-boggling thing I've encountered lately. I viewed a disc called "Treasures Of Black Cinema" which seemed to be some kind of TV series that crammed four "race films" from the 40's onto one disc. They were all various genres with different stars, a gangster movie starring Ralph Cooper, an old horror movie with Nina Mae McKinney and a Herb Jeffries western. They were all pretty cheap and rudimentary but still entertaining but the fourth one made my eyes bug out.
It was a comedy starring Mantan Moreland but instead of any of the all-black films he made, they showed an old Monogram film where he was paired with Frankie Darro as a comedy team. Moreland was the only black actor in this and he acquitted himself well. The kicker was one scene where Darro was in blackface adn doing a Negro accent! How the heck did something like that slip onto a "Black Cinema" series? Why didn't they just trot out the original Amos & Andy or the Two Black Crows? Sheesh! Richard Roundtree did the introductions for these films. I wonder if he had any idea what he was involved with.