• R, 2 hr. 23 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Lost City Reviews

Stefanie C

November 2, 2008
despite the beautiful music and cinematography, there was little substance to this film. i was hoping for a film that would provide more history of the cuban crisis; this film's treatment was facile. slow paced, boring, and overall disappointing film.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
really great film for a directorial debut by andy garcia. he also does a great job acting in this one. bill murray plays a small role but steals the movie in all of his scenes. his character is even pointless, but he makes the film more entertaining. good flick that i recommend about the rise of fidel castro in cuba. the cast was great and the story flowed well.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

November 17, 2007
This is a good movie, with actor and director (Andy Garcia), Shows the Cuba way of life coming up. Kind of like the Soprano's in the begining. Glad I rented, but doubt that I would add it to my DVD Collection, sorry a nonbuy. Great dancing and music all throughout.
FanGirl
FanGirl

August 28, 2006
Good music and nice cinematography.
February 10, 2012
Honestly, I can't explain what happened here. The plot didn't seem bad at all. The movie has a great cast and I'm a huge of Cuba's history, but somehow this movie was extremely boring to me. Big disappointment.
marevalo83
November 17, 2010
I have a feeling the scads of those giving terrible reviews did NOT grow up in Miami. As a non-Cuban from the area, I still felt rather an attachment to the film's subject matter, and I suspect that being Cuban and/or growing up in Cuban culture substantially affects one's perception and interest in this film. Additionally, Lost City features gorgeous costume design and quite good cinematography and music.
shawnmiller2
November 14, 2010
Explores and interesting topic fairly uninterestingly...Garcia was decent, but the rest of the cast was terrible...
andresecarreno
March 23, 2010
Definitivamente esta pelicula demuestra lo que pasó en CUBA y lo que lamentablemente esta pasando en VENEZUELA!! La mejor pelicula, Cruda y real!!!

Vale destacar que esta pelicula la prohibieron pasar en Venezuela!
March 25, 2008
This movie was just painful to watch. Amature camerawork, uninteresting characters, and awkward dialogue are just the tip of the iceberg. I think Andy Garcia thought he was filming "VINCENT CORLEONE GOES TO CUBA". The story actually gets really ineresting in the last 30 minutes but by then I was already asleep. BOO!
November 5, 2007
This was a very interesting movie. But it did not move me the way I thought it might. But still good.
September 27, 2007
What? Andy Garcia's directorial debut in "The Lost City" was dissapointing to me for several reasons. Now listen FIRST My Cuban Friends (Whom I love) before you JUDGE me, ok. The film is so incredibley biest and you would actually think Mr.Garcia, living in the great U.S.A would show the "other side' of the revolution. But to my dismae, He went along and turned Fidel and Ernesto El Che Guevara into criminals on a meaningless quest for anarchy. I really wanted "Andy Garcia" to show me, show us how he viewed the revolution, not how Cubans viewed the revolution. If that's the case then he should of just put a disclaimer before the movie stating "Ok, the guys in military fatigues are bad people, so let's hate them". It was in my opinion very flat and as his directorial debut, it would have shown more dignity and depth as an artist to show both sides equal. Instead his film looked as one-sided as he made the "Revolutionaries" look. I think he let personal emotion get in the way and dismissed the movie as an art.
February 14, 2007
Great movie. Ending was tragic in a kind of heroic for no good reason sort of way. I think they must have cut some important scenes.
February 14, 2007
You know, Andy Garcia likes Cuba. A lot.
Beautiful, but pointless. You can't recreate Casablanca, Andy.
StanislavskiCateringCo
September 20, 2006
Beautifully shot film that effectively captures the essence of Havana in the 50s. Cinematography is really an ode to old Cuba. Clearly a labor of love for Garcia. The narrative is uneven and ultimately a little polemical (although not obtrusively so). Solid performances all around.
June 13, 2006
Andy Garcia is genius. This movie is genius. It's heart breaking seeing how Cuba turned from paradise to what it is today. I would really love to see it change back. It could be one of the wealthiest nations per capita if it wanted to be. As soon as their gov'ment falls it'll be a wonderful place and i'll be on the run there. Seriously.
May 20, 2006
great epic moovie!!!!!great direction from one of the cuban exile,good point of view...but tragic..and a twist of the democracy in that mother island!!
July 21, 2014
Disregard the rotten score. The movie may be a bit slow and running 144mins long, however the music is great, story is moving and characters have depth. I enjoyed it, not once but twice. And Ebert gave it thumbs up and he was never wrong.
Mildred H.
March 10, 2014
This is a cinematographically beautiful film but it does little to overcome the self-obsessed, propagandist nature of the film. Garcia needs to stick with acting. We're not interested in your politics Mr. Garcia.
September 24, 2013
Garcia's Cuban odyssey ultimately succumbs to a lot of the same problems as many historical pieces, telling a story that is far less compelling than its setting or the actual history (the memory of Pearl Harbor lingering all too near). Couple that with an underutilised cast, with Hoffman and Murray utterly wasted and bored in their roles, uneven direction that spans from vibrant & colourful to amateurishly bland & flat, and woefully slow pacing (especially for a near 2 1/2 hour feature that should be more careful) and you have an admirable but ultimately misguided effort.
October 3, 2012
I saw this movie exactly as it was. The Truth of Cuba in the late 1950's. I thought Andy Garcia did a fantastic job as first time director offering realism and sadness to a once beautiful and thriving country. I know that most critics did not like this film and was boycotted in many countries. The black and white scenes brought the politics into the movie which I thought was a brilliant move........