Once a Thief - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once a Thief Reviews

January 1, 2012
Good melodrama by Ralph Nelson, but that could be better.
rubystevens
April 27, 2010
not the john woo film! it's a moody and melodramatic crime thriller that was the start of alain delon's very brief hollywood career. altho a huge star in europe throughout the 60's and 70's delon never broke in america and soon returned to france. the film is nothing we haven't seen dozens of times: an ex-con tries to go straight but keeps getting pulled back into the life. delon and ann-margret make a gorgeous couple but her acting style is a bit too histrionic. van heflin and jack palance do their respective thing and all is set to an ultra-jazzy lalo schifrin score. a curiosity for fans of delon i suppose. i sent in a poster
January 12, 2012
I really like this movie but it's plot is like 'The Big Sleep' impossible to describe and rather uneven but I like I also really like John Woo's 1991 & 1996 remakes.
January 12, 2012
June 27, 2013
A very cool cast and stylish direciton are squandered on a rather dull and uncompelling story. There's even a jazzy score by Lalo Schifrin and some sharp dialogue here and there. There are also some nice action set pieces and the French New Wave-ish style of direction mostly works, but the noir story of ex-con Alain Delon trying to live a straight life with wife Ann-Margret, but is sucked back into a life of crime by cop Van Heflin and criminal brother Jack Palance. It's worth watching if you're a fan of these sorts of films, but it really felt like a missed opportunity.
August 13, 2011
With the Star Power of Ann-Margret & Alain Delon, I expected this to be better, I got bored
January 1, 2012
Good melodrama by Ralph Nelson, but that could be better.
½ October 3, 2011
Stylish but pretty dull noir.
rubystevens
April 27, 2010
fun movie too bad this is a largley over looked gem.