Criminal Reviews

bbcfloridabound
½ March 21, 2013
I really, really, really think that EVERYONE should see this film. It was one of the most entertaining films I've watched all year. In a world where only morbid/ depressing movies are considered excellent and plot less, big-budget films rule the box-office it is nice to see a smaller budget film that has fun with itself.

The cast in this film is superb. Diego Luna especially gives a great performance. He is endearing, lovable, enthusiastic, and intelligent in his portrayal of "Brian." It was nice to see him in this context and I personally believe that he thrived in the part. He is an excellent actor and i have to admit that I am now a fan.I almost always guess the "surprise" ending in movies that claim to have one, but this film still has me wondering how i didn't get it. Do yourself a favor and see this movie!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to tell you the plot because I don't trust myself not to give anything away. If you enjoy caper/mystery/ entertaining movies go see this one. 3/1/2 Stars 3=21=13
½ January 24, 2008
Decent film about two con men, but you kind of figure there is going to be double crossing and it's not very shocking when it happens. I think with this type of movie it's kind of, seen one, seen them all, but as they are not really a favourite genre of mine anyhow, I would say this was a good one as I did enjoy it and didn't get overly bored watching it. Cast are all good.
March 10, 2010
A fun movie that had a lot of great twists and great acting. While I really hated the cinematography and general direction, it was just too well written and energetic to not like. John C. Reilly was flawless, he continues to amaze me time and time again. He is one of the most gifted and versatile actors working in Hollywood. I'd say it's a definite must for any fans of hustler films.
August 16, 2007
Any brits out there who enjoyed the series Hustle will probably enjoy this film. Tricks of a con-man and apprentice, clever plot and an enjoyable watch.
stevetheman1236
November 14, 2011
I really like Criminal. It's such a fun film, and those are awfully hard to come by nowadays. I honestly don't see why people give independent films such crap. Most of the ones that I've seen have been fairly good, with a couple even being fabulous. Criminal falls roughly in between the two.

What I liked the most (besides the wonderful cinematography) was the lead performance from John C. Reilly. What an actor! In my opinion, Reilly is one of the most underrated actors of his time and it's not entirely his fault. This generation of people see him as the "funny guy next to Will Ferrell". Because of this, his talent is grossly overlooked. I, for one, think that he is a fabulous actor and all of his performances have such depth. His performance is the most attractive part about this film. He plays the sleazebag Richard Gaddis, a man who is consumed by insatiable greed. He will do anything to get his hands on money. It's a character that I'm sure a lot of people can relate to.

The story unfolds nicely and not as predictably as one might think. There are some clever twists and turns, and while it's not the most original piece of work out there (it was adapted from an earlier French film), it sure manages to entertain. Hell, this one of the best films I've seen a long time. A film that can not only entertain, but make me appreciate the talent involved, is a true treasure, and Criminal is just that.
½ January 24, 2012
I like con films. I'm a big fan of 'Ocean's Eleven' (the remake), 'Duplicity', 'The Sting' and the TV series 'Hustle' so I was always going to like this one. Of course knowing that it is a con film you are expecting a big twist towards the end but I must admit I didn't quite work this one out. I haven't seen the original ('Nine Queens') but I thought everyone was good in this one and it was an enjoyable 1.5 hours.
November 29, 2011
People have said that "Criminal" doesn't compare at all to the film that it's based on, "Nine Queens." For a lot of them, that's their reasoning for giving it a negative review. I say, who cares? What if you haven't seen the original? And since when does the caliber of a remake depend on how alike it is to the original, especially if the original is a foreign film? Appreciate it for what it is.
Tecnoandre
½ July 24, 2011
Based upon the Argentine film Nine Queens. Directed by Gregory Jacobs, it stars John C. Reilly, Diego Luna and Maggie Gyllenhaal and is a production of Section Eight, the production company of Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney.John C. Reilly plays Richard Gaddis, a small time crook with a penchant for con games. To hook marks, he acts like a well-to-do businessman, dressing like one and driving a Mercedes-Benz, believing that one must look like a professional in order to be a successful conman.
Gaddis is searching for a new partner with whom he can perform more sophisticated cons. Despite the ellegant production and the inevitable turnaroud, this production leave us with a taste of somethings missing to complete the movie.Just regular.
½ November 4, 2009
Clever twists and great acting. This remake of an Argentinean film is definitely worth watching if you're a fan of con-artist movies!
½ May 28, 2008
A pretty cool independent caper movie
½ September 22, 2007
Great acting but it reminded me of an episode of 'Hustle'. Diego Luna is lovely as usual!
FanGirl
June 27, 2006
A good movie, you really have to watch it to the end to enjoy it though. My mom didn't like it. I kept telling her she had to wait for the end. So she watched it to the end and ended up liking it once she saw the end. Watch it all the way to the end, otherwise you'll miss the whole point of the movie.
½ January 30, 2010
"Criminal" is a decent heist film with a clever plot and a number of unexpected twists throughout the progression of the story (especially the twist at the end). Despite the film's immediate jump into its plot, it moves at a slow pace for most of the movie. Fortunately, the story never gets boring because of the film's short 87-minute runtime. I was unimpressed by Maggie Gyllenhaal (looks like a weirdo) and John C. Reilly (can't take him seriously), but Diego Luna brings life to the film. It cannot compare to movies like "Ocean's Eleven" or "The Italian Job" but this movie is entertaining and I'd see it again.
April 19, 2011
Nothing really special.Just an OK movie but if you watch it then it's worth watching just to see the ending
December 1, 2010
Few remakes are as good as the original (this one is a remake of the Argentinian movie Nine Queens) but this one is pretty good. Excellent cast, too (I liked it better than the original).
½ February 24, 2010
Con man movies really seem to be a staple genre. I know there are your rom-coms, war movies, serial killer movies, and others where there are new ones of the ilk every month. But it seems like long con movies are also myriad in delivery. Maybe it started with The Sting being so popular. There had to have been one before that. With that said, here is Criminal. And in this movie, you can?t help but like Diego Luna and dislike Reilly. That may be the problem with the set-up of the movie.

But in spite of this, it keeps your interest. There isn?t too much new here, other than the sheer amount of effort and attempts that Reilly?s character puts forth. And it is very nicely filmed in LA with locations that actually seemed pretty new. Plus, great performances all around.
½ August 8, 2009
Criminal was short, sweet, and to the point. It wasn't completely predictable, but it wasn't unconventional either. Nothing jumped out at me, and nothing caused me to turn away. The ending was banal, though.
March 31, 2008
Not a bad movie. I caught this on HBO the other night and I thought it was pretty good. I liked the twist at the end.
½ January 12, 2008
A true criminal would ruin even his own families lives. This criminal is blinded by his actions and can never survive
November 8, 2007
I love a movie with alot of twists and turns. John C. Reily does a great job as the lead in a film that true to the fact, in the con-game never trust a soul.