The Old Dark House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Old Dark House Reviews

September 30, 2011
This is the usual murder mystery set in a big mansion with an unusual cast of characters in a strange family. It wasn't very scary or funny or anything, but it's mildly entertaining at least.
bbcfloridabound
August 8, 2011
This is a excellent remake of a 1932 film that then stared Boris Karloff, he was asked to come back for a role in this film but refused because the script read to much comedy. And that's what this is a comedy with a little horror One of William Castle's many films. The house itself from the outside reminds me of the housed used in the TV serial the Addams family. Tom Poston was over the top as a yo0ung sales man from NY in England to deliver an American Car. ends up at a haunted house with a crazy family. Very enjoyable 1960 film. 4 stars
½ November 6, 2010
A remake -- but just barely -- of the classic James Whale horror comedy, this one doesn't come close in entertainment value. It's not scary, not funny, and it has Tom Poston as the handsome hero (?!?) all the girls want. It's a William Castle production so I wasn't expecting much, but still. This reminded me of a feature-length version of The Addams family TV show (could have been because Charles Addams did the animated intro), and as much as I enjoyed that show, this is not a compliment. I'm glad it was on TCM and that I hadn't paid real money to see it.,
FilmFanatik
November 30, 2009
Definitely NOT William Castle's best flick, but worth a watch, anyway.
September 29, 2013
A man's roommate invites him to his family's estate. When he arrives the man is dead and the guest has to deal with the crazy family as the all begin to drop dead. I thoroughly enjoy all sorts of horror comedies and tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this one really fell flat. As a re-make of the 1932 Whale-directed film, this one comes no where near to capturing either the humor or the grimness that original.
½ June 16, 2008
The only Castle film I utterly loathed. Comedy so unfunny as to be excruciating. Cool Chas Adams titles though.
½ October 31, 2010
Exhibit 1 as to why I am deeply skeptical of remakes. Next to nothing to do with the original or the source material upon which the original is based and simply neither suspenseful nor terribly funny.
March 31, 2012
The Old Dark House is definitely NOT William Castle's best movie, not by a long shot. It's a remake of the original 1932 James Whale film of the same name, but less effective overall, I'd say. This movie was so unmemorable that I had seen it before and forgotten that I'd seen it, and when I came to Flixster to do a small review for it, I realized that I already had. It's completely forgettable, in other words. The comedy falls flat most of the time and the scares are never really scares. It's your standard comedy in which people are being bumped off one by one, which I normally enjoy, but this one is just so toothless and boring for most of its running time. Not to say that the original film is a masterpiece, because it isn't, but it's much more interesting by comparison. I enjoy William Castle's movies most of the time, but not in this instance.
September 29, 2013
November 28, 2012
A bit of a loony mystery movie with a twist ending, real fun if you like old school campy comedy mysteries. It may not be as intense but its a good watch with friends and family.
November 2, 2012
Amusing and entertaining camp horror-thriller--In this house, fun, mischief and riddles remain!!
March 17, 2012
Sorry, William Castle. This was a pretty poor remake of the 1930's Universal classic. Castle knew he couldn't top the original so he made this version more on the line with comedy, rather than gothic horror. The end result is just too silly of a main character to follow, and the ending just made me roll my eyes.... Maybe because comedy tastes have changed, but the 1950's and 1960's had some really silly-stupid comedy that doesn't hold up...
September 30, 2011
bbcfloridabound
August 8, 2011
July 10, 2011
William Castle teamed up with Hammer to produce this very loose remake of Universal 1932 film of the same name. With a great cast that Hammer could usually put together, it's beautifully filmed and looks fantatstic.
October 15, 2010
Goofy, very-loose remake of the '32 version, full of broad comedy & played strictly for laughs, as envisioned by Gimmick-Meister William Castle, with Hammer Studios bank-rolling the production. Extremely dated, rife with silly sight-gags & unsophisticated humor, but also full of some superb British comic-actors (Rotund Robert Morley, toothy Joyce Grenfell, fluttery Mervyn Johns, and plump ghoul Peter Bull-) who were obviously having a good time making it, & it translates to the screen. The always-affable Tom Poston is the leading man here, in a typical fish-out-of-water role, wandering the halls of the titular delapidated manse full of odd-balls who are being knocked off one-by-one. Pleasantly amusing, I think I like it so much for nostalgic reasons--it was run repeatedly on our local "Creature Features" show when I was a kid.
½ November 6, 2010
November 4, 2010
Okay '60s old dark house movie, more eccentric than scary or funny.