Smile

Smile Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 31, 2009
This started out as a completely teen movie. Took forever to get to the point of the story, which was the children in Asia who are born disfigured and American Doctors travel there each year to perform corrective surgery. We have the average teen of today who travels with class mates to help with project, she is totally blown away by the children as they check into the hospital. But she has a special interest in one girl born on the same day as her. Turns into a tear jerker, I can only give it 3 stars as it took forever to get beyond our young teen in California.
Leigh R

September 22, 2008
Nice.
Dannielle A

October 10, 2011
This film has two stories going on at the same time until they overlap. A poor Chinese father adopts a little girl with a cleft palate and a whiny, selfish, annoying teenage girl from Malibu struggles with her boyfriend pressuring her to have sex. Curious about Operation Smile and how she can help, she takes a trip to China as a volunteer with a medical team who help give operations to those in financial need. It's a very uplifting movie with a great cast. It really makes me wonder if the actor who plays Lin really had a cleft palette and then they gave her an operation or if they put one heck of a really great make-up job on her.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

September 11, 2011
The film parallels two stories: an impoverished Chinese father who sacrifices his wife and son to raise a facially-deformed orphan named Ling (Yi Ding) as his very own, and a Malibu self-absorbed teenager (Mika Boorem as Katie) who seemingly has it all including the arguing parents (Beau Bridges and Linda Hamilton) and a boyfriend (Erik von Detten) pushing her to have sex. She goes to China with a volunteer medical program, (Operation Smile, which provides reconstructive surgery to needy children and young adults in developing countries and the United States) and comes face to face with the realities of the big bad world.

This is one of those movies that make you sit and wonder. Wonder about the difficulties that some underprivileged people face. The hardships they go through and in this movie it is interesting to see how Katie transforms into someone whose mission it is to help someone else.

The character of the Chinese father (Wang Luoyong) is one that especially impressed me as it is very touching to watch a father sacrifice everything for the love of an adopted child especially one with a physical deformity.

It's uplifting, and it's in a good cause, which I'm assuming is what attracted the names in the cast including Sean Astin as her teacher and Cheri Oteri as the too-enthusiastic nurse from Utah.
FanadFilmsProduction
FanadFilmsProduction

January 1, 2009
Mika is great in this film. It's not easy to watch in some ways, but it is worth watching.
Hamee
January 7, 2013
I like the connection that is made between the two girls and the contrast of their lives. The story is a little slow, but very sweet with a great ending.
May 31, 2010
Beautifully done and true to life. This movie inspired me to get involved. I truly believe all teenagers should see it, and wish they could each share "Katie"s experience
emmmersss
June 22, 2008
Very predictible but it touched me and I love when a movie can tug on my heartstrings. Very overexaggerated and the ending was a bit rushed but I would recommend this to anyone of my friends.
StaisilD
October 20, 2007
Katie, a teenage girl from Malibu, California, finds herself in the throes of growing up, facing her parents, her boyfriends, her sexuality and a very privileged life. Half a world away in rural, China, Lin, born on the same day as Katie, faces a much different reality. Because of a severe facial deformity, she lives a life of fear and shame. Her father, Daniel, has devoted his life to her, with hopes and dreams that her circumstances will change one day. The opportunity comes with the discovery of the worldwide "Doctor's Gift" program. Katie volunteers and comes to China. Once there, she is deeply touched by the work, which prompts her to take off on her own to find Lin. A "smile" is brought to Lin's face, Katie finds her soul and their extraordinary connection becomes a life-changing experience for both girls. characters are well thought-out and are represented well by the actors. Mika Boorem plays the part of Katie as a self-involved teenager that has it all. It is interesting to see how she transforms into someone whose mission it is to help someone else.
September 27, 2007
Wow. This is a powerful movie. I cried. Living with facial deformities is hard. I know it from experience.
July 25, 2007
A truly beautiful story, and an incredible depiction of a very sensitive - rarely discussed issue. Putting the brutal truth out there of hardships in the poorer parts of the world; and yet the heart warming and hope giving knowledge that there are good people out there who strive to make a difference. While this movie will bring tears to your eyes, it is through the very true-to-life, even though sometimes over exaggerated, acting and flawless story told through the eyes of this amazing director. It will warm your heart and, in fact, leave you with a - Smile.
popplute5
July 9, 2006
I hate this movie it does not even deserve a half star, terrible i could not smile once in this messed up embarrasment
November 16, 2013
Not the best film, the lead actresses performance wasn't good. but the overall message saved the film
A Jones
March 16, 2011
I don't know who wrote that summary, but Katie does not travel to China with her father, who is not a doctor, and who is not played by Sean Astin. Astin plays Mr. Matthews, her high school teacher, not a doctor, who inspires her to go, by herself, to China. Clumsy plot lines, feels like an Afterschool Special, but the relationship between the father and his deformed daughter is quite moving.
January 1, 2011
Loved it. This is work we can all support. Only $250 covers complete surgery and follow up.
jazza923
April 27, 2008
The intentions of the film are certainly admirable. Most of the acting is good, but Mika Boorem just doesn't have the range to pull off such a pivotal role. It tries too hard and becomes painfully obvious. Good location shooting.