The Baxter Reviews

½ November 9, 2006
CUTE! Peter Dinklage completely stole the movie, as he always does. Michelle Williams is adorable, as she always is. Very cute and offbeat.
August 14, 2009
this low-key comedy invents a culture of upscale WASP nerddom that Showalter gets to act out with the maximum mannerisms; Rudd and Banks are unfortunately diminished, mostly by mediocre dialogue; a major step forward in portraying the ultra-cool romantic rival as shallow and tiresome, showing how a person can still look pretty lame even after they fulfill a hip-suave-sensitive checklist--more realistic than Bradley Cooper in Wedding Crashers, the long-delayed post-PC-evolution of the Omega Theta Pi psychopaths in Animal House
December 29, 2007
A really great and innovative way of doing a romantic comedy.
½ October 25, 2006
One of the most underrated movies ever. If you liked The State you'll definitely like this.
December 21, 2007
I found this movie to be realistic, and fictional at the same time, but mostly realistic. The movie is funny, and has black humor, but definitely worth watching.
½ April 29, 2008
Pretty bad. Michele Williams and Michael Ian Black are kind are fun to see but other than that, it's brutal and unfunny.
iLeo
½ November 9, 2007
A favorite.
September 11, 2011
Written, Directed, and Starring Michael Showalter (of Stella), this average comedy makes fun of the standard character in romantic comedies, that guy who is always dating the girl that the leading man must steal away. It is a decent concept, and the movie is funny enough. It wasn't nearly as funny as Showalter's comedic history had me hoping it would be. I liked it enough though.
½ August 14, 2009
Showalter has a crude mise-en-scene, but that's all you need when you have such a pitch perfect script and characterizations. He skirts a fine line between convention and absurdism and does so beautifully. Michelle Williams gives an outstanding performance, and Showalter gives the best Buster Keaton impersonation since Buster Keaton. The film owes a lot to Woody Allen and Hal Hartley, but probably outdoes them both.
July 12, 2008
Awesome movie. I fell bad for those Baxter's out there. Cecil was a better match for Elliot. Caroline just seemed self centered. Movie was really good. Had it's funny moments. And best of all Paul Rudd was in it, I didn't even know he was in it.
June 27, 2008
Does for the romantic comedy what "Wet Hot American Summer" did for the summer camp movie.

You know how in romantic comedies theres always the guy standing next to the girl as her true love makes a dramatic speech and whisks her away, that poor sad sap, is what is called a Baxter.

Elliot Sherman has always lost girls in this manner, and he'a all set to get married until the viscous cycle begins anew with the return of his fiances long time old flame Bradley. Elliot then does his best to avoid falling into Baxterdom, and seeks advice from Michelle Williams, a quirky temp, which only complicates things.

The absurdity is toned down alot here from the "Wet Hot" days, but all of the actors(many from the previous film, Micheal Ian Black, Paul Rudd, etc), all give great comedic performances. The Baxter at it's heart is a parody, but it's one with a unique one with some heart, similar to recent break-up comedy success "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", but more cute this time around than crude
April 16, 2008
This film tries way too hard to be quirky and witty. It is a pleasant watch but not the best film I have seen.
March 7, 2008
One of those cheesy romantic comedies about the guy who falls into a relationship that doesn't work out, he meets someone new, and marries the new love of his wife. Ok, so it's not the most "original" concept for a film, but seeing Michael Showalter pull off a main character in a romantic comedy in a humorous way made this film bearable to watch. Even if you're not a fan of Showalter or any of the actors in this film, but like romantic comedies give this film a chance.
September 1, 2007
He's the guy that you settle for, but end up leaving when your old flame swoops in from obscurity. Feel free to root for the underdog in this romantic comedy parody featuring masters of sketch comedy.
July 5, 2007
a great little story about true love and life. i liked it and i think u would too. so if u ever get the chance to see this movie, take it.
June 29, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, the creators of Wet Hot American Summer are geniuses. Many of those folks were involved with this movie as well, and thus it was decreed that I had to rent it. Some of the charm was there, but it's its own movie. It does not attempt to remake the shenanigans of Camp Firewood circa 1981, but it does poke fun at romantic comedies quite a bit, and make good use of its few true talents, particularly Michael Showalter and Elizabeth Banks (who is incredibly hot). This movie just increased my love of those two, but that on its own didn't necessarily make me love the movie itself. It had its moments, but the predictability of a rom-com formula it was poking fun at is what made it ... predictable. What a vicious cycle.
June 10, 2007
UNDERRATED. This movie needs to be seen by every girl who likes girly movies and every boy who likes girls who like girly movies.
June 9, 2007
Michael Showalter is my hero! This movie is great! It's a great movie to watch when you are feeling down, like you will never meet the right person, like a "baxter". There is someone for everyone out there and this movie gives you hope and laughter.
½ May 4, 2007
Okay, so I saw this movie in the theater at a special engagement (where I met the writer/director/star Michael Showalter of Wet Hot American Summer fame) and it has already been out on video for a while, but this movie has flown under the radar for too long. How it was completely missed by critics and the public, I will never understand. Best described as a high-concept romantic comedy, The Baxter is both a hilarious and heartfelt love story.

The premise is like any other romantic comedy - Mr. Right tries to stop a young lady from marrying Mr. Wrong - except this movie is from the perspective of Mr. Wrong (aka 'The Baxter'). Anyone familiar with Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead will understand the fun novelty of shifting perspective in a familiar story. Showalter pulls the trick off well, clearly defining the setup and theme within minutes and relying on clever editing to tell the story of his hapless character.

Showalter also shows off his comedic talents by avoiding the obvious genre cliches (don't expect any "hair gel"-type scenes). In fact, The Baxter would be PG except for one line (if you see the movie and are curious, just ask me which). This is the antithesis of the cynical love story with direction and editing reminiscent of French New Wave and early Woody Allen comedies.

I hardly know anyone who has seen this movie so if you check out The Baxter, please let me know how you liked it. And stick around for the credits because there's more to the story...
April 7, 2007
Totally refreshing and absolutely wonderful. I loved Michele Williams in this. Everyone has known a guy like Elliot and it's so nice to get to see him come out on top.