92% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Fantastic Four Reviews

KJ P

May 28, 2014
This unreleased 1994 version of the Fantastic Four may be known as one of the worst superhero films of all time to some, but to me, without it's horribly low budget bringing it's values down, this film actually has a very competent story that feels better in a way than some of today's superhero films. Mind you, that does not make it good. As these four people are exposed to gamma radiation in space, it gives them super-human abilities and leads to the war between the Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom. The effects are some of the worst you will ever see, but they try with what they have, so that is commendable. The cast is laughably bad at times, but that is also due to it's very poorly written screenplay. I will say that out of all the bad Marvel films I have seen, this is one of those so bad it's good films that I can watch over and over again. So in the end, it's not a terrible movie, but it needs work, and that aspect is very enjoyable.
Anthony L

July 19, 2013
Apart from the advance of special effects, the new films and the 1994 film are equal. Equally bad. To be fair to the 1994 version though, they weren't really trying. It was a legal thing, they had to make the film to retain the rights, so it goes. Roger Gorman is a genius though, he makes not a lot of money go a very long way. The Thing is quite good and Mr. Fantastic's stretching scenes are worth watching the film for alone. The last scene where he waves goodbye to his wedding guests had me in stitches. It's awful but charming, which is more than can be said for the new ones. Maybe I've been a bit harsh on the 2005 version on retrospect but overall, the Four deserve better.
Luke B

February 28, 2009
A marvelous curiosity of a film. Never intended for release, this was made to stop the rights from expiring. It's cheap, it's shoddy but it IS entertaining. The effects are amazingly bad, though should be commended given the circumstances. When the Human Torch is some bizarre animated, possibly computerish orange thingy, you can see that the filmmakers did the best with what they had. The "stretching" sequences are so painful, though always bring a smile. The Thing actually looks pretty good, shame he can't move about much. One thing the film does have going for it it a decent Dr Doom. Unlike the bastardised version in the 00's versions. Had we had this Dr Doom in those they would almost be perfect. It was an easy watch and never boring. This truly is a Roger Corman production and actually makes you wonder about if Corman took on other super-hero tales. This is a wonderful antidote to the crowded market place of today and a reminder that once Super-Hero movies were virtually impossible. It's not the multimillion dollar box office, it's the taking part.
Jason S

November 22, 2007
This is a really bad movie. I like it a little just because I am a big fan of the characters but the movie was just poorly made. All of the effects were sub par and the acting was really bad. Johnny Storm was so annoying you want to skip all the scenes that he is in. It's also a little creepy as the beginning of the movie opens showing you that Reed and Ben are college students living at the Storm boarding house. Sue and Johnny are little kids. Sue is in love with this college kid and when they meet up in later years she might be 19 or 20 and Reed with the gray hair is all lovey dovey over her. And the story is just poor with a part put in that reveals that the Thing could change back into a man if he really wanted to.
Lafe F

July 24, 2007
Roger Corman's 1994 "The Fantastic Four" film is definitely low-budget, but there's something charming out it; which can't be touched in the big-budget 2005 blockbuster about the same heroes. The characters seemed closer to the comic book. The first half of the movie was their origin story. Then the Four go up against a Leprechaun-like jewel thief and then Doctor Doom. The effects are cheapo and hilarious. We don't get to see the heroes utilize their super-powers enough.
Sadly only a poor-quality dubs exist for the fans to experience, but it's a curious-flavoured treat to view.
nickymo89
nickymo89

April 25, 2009
No wonder it didn't get released lol
sjcole4
sjcole4

April 22, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
January 11, 2013
it's not bad but you can really tell it was a low budget film that didn't match all the flashy special effects of some other marvel comic based film that was really successful but then again back in the 90s everyone was just trying to tip the scales fourtantely this film definitely does not do that plus the film didn't meet the demands of the time or the comic book fan community though it wasn't a poorly constructed film plus i gotta say as a fan this film could have done better again realize it's a 90s film that didn't do well plus doesn't look like a blockbuster hit either the director should have sprung for more money it would have done a lot better Overall this was a flop you can hate to love or see it for what it is an unfinished product though good thing the new versions of the fantastic 4 really does do the comic book justice
BantamDraper
May 9, 2010
Super low budget. The casting was really bad and the storyline was, well, strange. They changed the abilities of some characters. Dr Doom was kind of interesting but this whole film felt like it was thrown together just to keep the rights to the name.
droidmakr
August 20, 2009
I love comic book movies, and this one is no exception. It was well cast, and well put together. Plenty of action and lots of fun.
starlimitz2
September 25, 2007
The name "Craptastic Four" is right. I don't know what brainiac in Marvel Comics thought to make Roger Corman the producer of this lame film, but I hope they were fired. Every single person in this film either did not care anything about their role, or are some of the worst actors of the twentieth century. Dr. Doom was a lame Power Rangers villain, who surprisingly didn't grow to the size of the Mega Zord. The actors who play our four heroes, especially the human torch, had to be some of the dumbest-looking people the producers could find, because anytime they attempted to look distressed, they ended up looking either constipated, or having symptoms of mild gas. I can understand why Marvel bought this film and threw it in the back room, but what I can't understand is how this movie ended up seeing the light of day in any manner.
janrain
October 20, 2007
Like the idea of the comic being moved to the big screen. This one is no expection to the role. Take a look see what you think of it me myself i like this movie.
captpicard30668
September 9, 2007
Johnny Fire....a great comedian! Plus they are all great super-heroes that use their powers to fight criminals.
November 16, 2010
Joseph Culp and Jay Underwood compete to see who can have the worst performance in history. The rest of the cast is ok but the script and especially the effects lets them all down. The effects make Doctor strange nearly 20 years its predecessor (and made for tv to boot) look like the matrix
NotEnoughSlavesInIt
June 19, 2014
84%
Low-budgeted and challenged in both quality and quantity, Roger Corman's "The Fantastic Four" is one of the most offbeat, charming, and all-around entertaining "bad" movies to ever come out of the Twilight Zone. I put quotes around the word "bad" because, as it turns out, this movie really isn't "bad" to the point of something drastic like The Room or Skyline. It's not zany bad, like The Room; and it isn't painfully grating like Skyline. It's a charming kind of bad.

It has an easy-to-follow three-act-structure, an uncomplicated plot, and to be honest, some delightful spotlights of character development, all topped off with gleefully cheesy special effects. That's more than I can say about the 2007 film and its shitty sequel.

That's not to say there aren't some laughable moments. There are. And the extent of their laughabilty is pretty...well, Fantastic, to say the least. There's the unwarranted laughs of Dr. Doom, the cheesy dialogue from the Human Torch, and the cliches of the Thing's predicament. Yet all these and more add to the charm of it being a comic movie as well.

It's no wonder this movie never saw the light of day, but if it had at the time it was made, I can't see why any audience would have no fun watching it.

With that, I say, check it out and see for yourself.
KJ P

May 28, 2014
January 1, 2014
Odd, campy, feels way older than the 90's. While it's not hard to guess why it wasn't released, it seems a bit unfair that it still hasn't been. It's far from good, but it has this badness to it that makes it somehow interesting to watch. Incredibly flawed, dumb, and ridiculous.
November 26, 2013
well, as a B-movie you have to keep an open mind, it had a (somewhat) stable and entertaining plot filled with cartoon justice and comical characters, not bad for a low budget film made in 1994
October 28, 2013
Today I am going to review The Fantastic Four. Oh no not the reboot and the sequel, no no! You see I actually liked those two movies and it would be impossible to hate those two films. I am talking about the 1994 cheap-budget movie. First here's a little history on the production of this so-called movie. Back in the late 1980's when the comic industry was failing, Neue Constantin held the rights to the Fantastic Four comics in order to make future remake options before their contract run out. They were forced to put something into film so they turned to classic B-movie director Roger Corman to sign the deal. They rushed the film on a budget of $1.5 million and to this day, the film has never saw release. Now let's go into the story which involves Reed Richards and Victor von Doom who are studying at university and have created a machine to stop some shit I don't care about. Victor is electrocuted when Ben Grimm pushes him out of the way but it is too late because Victor is dead. Ten years later, they reunite with Susan and Johnny Storm and take them into outer space thinking they know about space travel better than anyone else (oh yeah you heard me right! They actually say that in the movie!). So yeah, they go into space, survive the cosmic radiation and they find out that they all have different superpowers. Johnny can sneeze fire, Susan can turn invisible, Reed can stretch his limbs and Ben has turned into some hideous fucking thing. If you thought the costumes and special effects in the 2005 reboot and its sequel for the Fantastic Four were goofy and silly as shit, then you will be begging for it after watching this. We then meet secondary villain named The Jeweler because they couldn't afford the rights to the Moleman who is apparently working for Victor and has a crush on Alicia Masters, the blind girl who is Ben's love interest. The Fantastic Four are kidnapped and held hostage so they sneak out and fight the bad guys but they are trapped in magnetic fields but they escape somehow and defeat Victor aka Doctor Doom, rescue Alicia, Reed and Sue get married and this fucking piece of shit ends mercilessly! I have never seen a superhero movie that was so fucking stupid and filled with plot holes that i was forced not to give a shit. I'll give Batman and Robin credit because that movie is a multi-Oscar winner compared to this. The writing is horrid, the special effects are one of the worst, the acting is terrible and the dialogue is cringing. The Fantastic Four (1994) gets a I-don't-give-a-fuck/10!
October 20, 2013
Pathetically pathetic, not fantastically fantastic