Alice in Wonderland Reviews

jamers2011
½ July 9, 2011
I watched this because I thought it was the famous Disney version. HA...it's not! This is one of the worst films I have seen in my life.
½ September 19, 2010
This rendition of the story begins in England where they setup the story to come by introducing the inspirations for each of the characters in Wonderland through real people Alice and Lewis Carroll may have been acquainted with. This choice takes away some of the magic in trying to point out a kind of natural association for inspiration, but does not hurt it too much as one forgets about it the deeper into the story they go. While many parts are pretty close to literal adaptation there are several parts that were clearly artistic liberty in trying to come up with scenes, scenarios and musical numbers to keep with the spirit if not in the book itself.

For being released in 1949 it is strangely more gruesome in its aesthetic than I would have expected for a children's movie in that time period. Not that it is in any way horrifying, but the style and animation technique with the clay figures gives it a slightly odd yet likable quality. Most of the music I found unimpressive. The live action acting was often poor. Marsh as Alice did ok though she looked a bit old. The voice acting was pretty decent and the animation was better than I would have expected for that time period. The overall film and sound quality though was still expectedly poor.

NOTE: This is the 8th out of 21 known adaptations of the Lewis Carroll story I've seen. See blog for more details.
April 17, 2006
[font=Palatino Linotype][size=3]The "lost" Alice in Wonderland of Lou Bunin was the first version of my favorite story I ever saw, and is the best. Far superior to the Disney version, not just in my opinion, but in the opinion of many fans and film cognoscenti alike. It's a shame that Disney was able to so successfully suppress it at the time, but fortunately it has refused to go quietly into the night. My main rave for the film is that it sticks to the Wonderland story and doesn't mix in any of the characters from Looking-Glass, as Disney's and many other versions are wont to do. Indeed, it would have been interesting to see what Bunin would have done with Looking-Glass.[/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=3]Forget all the others (with the possible exception of Jan Svankmajer's wonderfully bizarre version) and find Lou Bunin's Alice.[/size][/font]
½ October 16, 2005
[font=Times][color=#000000]During an ?insider tour? Disneyland I was surprised to find out that Walt did not like this film and didn?t want it released. Apparently he felt the subject matter was inappropriate for children. Well, it was the early fifties then, things were different. Regardless, the film was released.[/color][/font]

[font=Times][color=#000000]The story is well done, sticking mostly to the source materiel in Carrol?s book. The animation, music, and voice work are all also well done. It is an entertaining flick. It also inspired my daughter?s current favorite ride at Disneyland, the Alice in Wonderland ?caterpillar? ride.[/color][/font]
October 25, 2004
[indent]Yes, this is the one. Little snippets from 'Alice' have actually been incorporated into my persona over the years. When I write notes to coworkers I sometimes draw the Cheshire Cat face on the note. The bureaucracy I work in sometimes reminds me of Wonderland. I don't have mushrooms that make me big on one side and small on the other, however. Alice's bizarre dream world has always appealed to me at a more adult level than most of the other old Disney classics, no matter what you may have heard what really happened with Snow White in the dwarf residence :eek: Alice is interested in everything rather than just romance and ponders situations in a way that I find engaging.

The animation is just as elaborate as any Disney had made up to that point. Generally cheerful solid and pastel colors, it has been remastered with the same TLC that Snow White and Cinderella were. You have your choice of the original mono sound track or the remastered 5.1 track. I listened to the 5.1 and can't say that there was a lot of action on my surrounds or subwoofer. I sounded fine, just not very 5.1. I give the movie an 8.5/10.

The 2 DVD set has a bunch of extras. Included is the Mickey Mouse short that went along with 'Alice', titled 'Thru the Mirror' and the 1st Walt Disney TV broadcast, which featured 'Alice' and several Disney cartoons. At the dawn of TV they were still working out exactly what to do on screen, and this 1st Disney show was a get-together. The sponsor, Coca-Cola was served at the party in its old 8 oz bottles while the narrator blabbed about how refreshing it was. Actually that's not as bad as the barrage of disjointed sound bites commercial TV has now (and why I watch very little of it). Also included are trailers, a making of, some kiddie stuff, etc.. Overall a nice package and it rates a 9/10.

[/indent]