The Ten - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ten Reviews

½ August 18, 2012
A series of ten short comedies each centered around one of the ten commandments (i.e., it's the DECALOGUE re-imagined by an alumnus of the sketch comedy series "Mad TV" and "The State.") Par for the anthology course, some are funny (the twins looking for their real father) and some are duds.
November 18, 2007
A certain critic described this movie as "The Best Comedy since Borat". I hardly agree. In fact, I would more likely argue The Ten to be one of the worst comedies I've ever seen, along with Epic Movie and Evan Almighty. Believe it or not, but I even think Evan Almighty was a little less bad, as it at least had respectable actors and a cool CGI flood in the end. Too bad it didn't sweep away this piece of trash in the process. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there was just something about the writing that felt very lame, childish and dumb. Maybe some people find it hilarious (after a lobotomy or two), but I certainly didn't. Sure, it was original in the sense that it comprised of ten small stories (based on the ten commandments), but the jokes weren't funny at all, so the only thing that kept it somewhat alive for me was the actual storytelling, which gave it a little merit entertainment-wise. But that's about the only positive thing I can say about this so-called comedy. I can't believe I sat through the whole thing. Avoid if you know what's best for you!
March 3, 2012
The Ten is a really crazy movie. It feels more like an Adult Swim live action show then a movie and should of just been fifteen minutes long. This movie has this random, hit or miss style of humor which truly buries itself in the ground. It consists of sketches based off the ten commandments and tries to be satirical, but ends up devoid of meaning. Overall, its just a stupid movie. I think Paul Rudd is awesome, but he just couldn't save this mess of a film.
December 9, 2008
Actually quite funny. Reminds me of a Woody Allen mixed with Monty Python and Apatow. A general surprise.
½ June 30, 2009
Cast: Paul Rudd, Winona Ryder, Jessica Alba, Ken Marino, Famke Janssen, Rob Corddry, Adam Brody, Gretchen Mol, Oliver Platt, Liev Schreiber

Director: David Wain

Summary: An all-star cast (including Paul Rudd, Winona Ryder, Jessica Alba, Oliver Platt, Liev Schreiber, Famke Janssen, Rob Corddry and Gretchen Mol, among others) appears in this collection of 10 irreverent tales inspired by the Ten Commandments. Nothing is sacred -- not even the sanctity of marriage -- in the humorous anthology written by Ken Marino and director David Wain, formerly of the comedy troupe the State.

My Thoughts: "I knew I wouldn't love this film, but I thought I would at least like it considering the great cast it has. But nope, didn't even like it. Wanted to laugh, did none of that. Really disappointed with this one. Has a great group of actors and they did well with what they had, but I just didn't care for it at all."
June 12, 2007
Not as funny as I was hoping or expecting, given the fact that EVERY member of The State was in this movie. A great cast but unfortunately most of them aren't around long enough to enjoy as the stories are way too short. And that musical number at the end almost killed it for me. In the plus column, Jessica Alba and Adam Brody aren't around too much. Lots of great in-jokes and parts (namely the CAT scan segment with Liev Schreiber and the Oliver Platt segments.) The Ten is funny and the humor is great, it's just kind of a shame that the pace of the movie doesn't really allow the film to reach its full potential. A second viewing of the movie pretty much cemented my original opinion of the movie. Although it did leave me with a hankering for Roberta Flack...
½ March 27, 2009
Should have been much more ammusing (and biting) given the cast and writters that were involved, but still an enjoyable film.

A (very loose) modern interpretation of the ten commandments.

Worth seeing just for Winona Ryders brilliant & hilarious performance (involving a ventriiloquists dummy) in the "charming" vignette for the 8th commandment: "Thou shall not steal".
½ March 1, 2009
revue-style movie, with 10 sketchs supposedly about the 10 commandments; it's like the seniors at a drama school putting together a final show of dirty jokes b/c they earned it; there are some pleasant moments and a few great laughs; a few sketches parody film styles, like Woody Allen's and Y Tu Mama's; the stories connect well
September 16, 2008
did my junior high school student write this inane and unfunny script? Heck, most of the skits didn't even have anything to do with the commandment they were supposidly poking fun at.

About the only thing this film had going for it was the re-occuring charactors and the Jesus skit (although a cameo by Garofolo at a power station during a meltdown was worth smiling over).

Most of these skits came off as broad brush strokes - I kept waiting for the writing to step up to the concepts - never happened.

And the narrator concept - while inventive, also came off as juvinile and more of a distraction than an addition to the film.

I'd reccommend this for the type of people who liked Dumb and Dumber - but compare this to the satire of Dogma and.... well, you get the picture.
February 29, 2008
Very vulgar, but funny in spots.
January 27, 2008
The alumni from the state get together and give us 10 shorts. More than half of them are extremely funny while a couple are a ok. None the less an overall funny enjoyable movie with some really big laughs.
½ April 29, 2007
Jeff: I was just juicin' my pecks.

From the creators of The State, Wet Hot American Summer, and Stella comes a sketch comedy movie, with ten full sketches all corresponding with one of the ten commandments.

Paul Rudd heads the very large ensemble cast as the narrator in between each segment.

I wouldn't say that the sketches are hit or miss, because I found all of them funny, but there are some that are definitely hysterical and others that can put other viewers off.

For example, in the sketch involving "Honor Thy Neighbor's Wife" we deal with a few prison inmates, and the discussion of trading "bitches" in prison, so one can be "ass-raped" by another because of their bond together. This can definitely cause problems with some people.

But then there is also comic gold from a sketch like "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods" in which two neighbors have a bitter rivalry by seeing who can purchase the most CAT scan machines.

Among the actors, the best stuff comes from Liev Schreiber, Winona Ryder, Gretchen Mil, Rudd, and Famke Janssen, but there are plenty of other people doing a good job as well.

So if your into the above mentioned previous entries, or you like random sketch comedy, then loosen up your hold on logic and give this movie a whirl, because it can be very funny.

Kelly: I will slap you in the face.
½ April 10, 2012
The Ten is good for a few laughs, but has trouble with its raunchy comedy. The film's an anthology of ten loosely connected stories, each based on one of the Ten Commandments. A number of stars appear throughout the stories, including Paul Rudd, Famke Janssen, Winona Ryder, Liev Schreiber, and Jessica Alba. The acting is all pretty solid and there are a lot of fun characters, but several of the stories come up short and are unsatisfying. The humor is also a little spotty, pushing the vulgarity past the point where it stops being funny and going over-the-top with its eccentricities. The Ten has some funny bits, but doesn't come together as a cohesive film.
January 3, 2008
Its grown on me over time. As with all sketch centered films some of the bits are going to work and some are not, and with The Ten I have to say its successful more than in falters. When it goes for broke (and then some) its an absolutely bizarre joy to watch.
½ February 24, 2008
The Ten got a few laughs from me, but I was kind of disappointed because I thought it had a lot of potential. Paul Rudd is hilarious, of course, and I thought Liev Schreiber and Winona Ryder were really funny too.
July 18, 2008
A must see for any fans of Wet Hot American Summer or Stella. Full of quotes, and so completely packed full of jokes you'll never catch them all on the first viewing.
½ March 11, 2007
Scattershot State effort has some big laughs, but could stand to be shortened.
April 23, 2009
What can one say about this comedy about the Ten Commandments? Godawful.
½ August 17, 2007
The Ten is more goofy and strange than it is funny. Hell, it's even a bit stupid at times. But it has it's moments due to the talented cast.

I especially liked Liev Schreiber as a cop obsessed with outdoing his neighbor with the amount of cat-scans he can buy. While Winona Ryder showed some courage playing the part of a woman who falls for a comedian's dummy lol. Despite everyone trying hard though, The Ten was kind of flat.
March 11, 2008
Surrealism at its silliest! I intend to do a blog about this soon, so I'll be brief. Funny people, mostly on-point gags, and a format conducive to the absurd equal adequate laughs.