63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Fall From Grace Reviews

flixsterman
flixsterman

January 24, 2009
If there is a hell (and I'm convinced that there is), Fred Phelps will have a seat of honor there. Burn Fred Burn!
Thomas J

March 13, 2011
Hate personified! One major point was missing from such an in-depth documentary about Fred Phelps and his inbred hate factory - where does the money come from and how do they maintain tax exemption as a church since the church is only his crazy family? Other than this unaddressed issue, to see the hate and the justification for who to target the hatred to is unfathomable!
_kelly .

November 28, 2010
Decent mostly fly-on-the-wall style doc about the Phelps clan and their radical home taught hatred and protest tactics0.
Daniel H

February 24, 2010
A satisfyingly balanced, and for that all the more scathing, look into a rather minor but vocal sideshow of the American Heartland.

It feels like one of those micro-history books sitting in your local bookstore: focused on one subject and rarely if ever deviating to even briefly take a larger overview of its context, yet managing a true documentary level of implied social commentary, leaving the subject matter to work for itself. In that way, we can excuse this film for not tackling larger matters, such as Christian Fundamentalism as a whole, simply because Fred Phelps world is inherently isolationist and not open to these larger issues. The audience is left to interpret the morals and the role this group may have in the world at large, and for that, the film deserves a bit of praise considering the volatile subject matter that could easily have turned into a aimless hack-job. Instead, the documentary presents you with the axe, the grinder, and the instructions... and lets you handle the rest once the film is over. For that, its focus and lack of context is not misplaced: it knows the audience comes in with a preconception, and instead gives ammunition in the form of details, facts, and calm analysis. Satisfaction, and a fair bit of outrage, guaranteed... as long as one reads between the lines and doesn't make this narrow molehill of a subject into a broad mountain of disgust.
William G

February 26, 2008
Fuck Fred Phelps.
Sunil J

March 28, 2008
Well-made and careful to allow both sides to speak their mind.
Ken D

January 10, 2010
A look at a very disturbed group of people who hate homosexuality but wish for the death of our soldiers overseas. Do they have the right to picket? Yes they do. But it is a shame that it is people like this who make the good Christina people of the world look bad. And there are good ones out there. The children of these people are also very scary. That one is a future serial killer. I actually felt so bad for Kelly Franz for what she went through with the death of her husband. Interesting but disturbing documentary.
November 24, 2008
Worth seeing to get to the message at the end of the film: that those who need love the most deserve it the least.
Jungian
April 7, 2008
its everyones favorite slanderous preacher: Fred Phelps! Fred Phelps and his family have been protesting at events such as funerals of gay americans and soldiers with their hateful words and signs for 15 years. didn't get much from this doc that i didn't know already know. it did however have some information about fred phelps' early life as told by some of his children who no longer live with him or the rest of their family. What they had to say wasn't very surprising. Mr. Phelps was an, angry, abusive, and childish father.
deathwhisperedalulla2
January 10, 2008
I know this will sound mean...but this is the reason why i am not too keen on Christian people. I respect their beliefs, but the very zealous ones tend to attack those who think differently than they do and that is simply wrong, defeating all purpose and meaning of their faith.
November 13, 2013
Considering that fact that I am a devout atheist, I could very easily say that Fred Phelps and his congregation are pure evil and need to be locked away for the rest of their lives, but it would not do any good because it obviously is not going to happen any time soon, therefore I will try to be a little more rational. Admittedly, you do have to admire the Phelps clan and how they will not hesitate to go out and tell the world what they believe is wrong despite how much money it will cost and what they risk when facing the opposition. It is just a shame that they cannot put their skills and determination to better use, such as tending to the needy or encouraging love and acceptance. Putting aside my belief that Christianity is no different from the rest of the religious myths in existence, Phelps is clearly twisting the true meaning of the Bible to fit the doctrine of his own creation and is passing it on to his family. Therefore, it is easy to see why so many people despise the Westboro Baptist Church and are always willing to fend them off. It is uncertain whether or not K. Ryan Jones is a Christian himself, but he does an excellent job presenting the WBC members as they are, and collecting the views of other Christians who have studied the Scripture and can easily see that Rev. Phelps is determined to extinguish the homosexual and secular lifestyles for his own personal gain. For the non-religious, this will be further proof of the effect of faith-based belief on individual families and the outside world, especially at the hands of extremists like Rev. Phelps. For Christians, I sincerely hope that they can see for themselves how important it is to not only study what the Bible says but what it means, so they can learn to show compassion for everyone, including those who are substantially different.
April 4, 2013
A very informative film on the hypocritical Westboro Baptist Church (more of a cult than a church), and their fanatic hate-filled pastor/founder, Fred Phelps.
February 26, 2013
Why does this annoying, angry old man, deserve an hour and twelve minutes of screen time? Well he's just fascinating, he's like a mini me of famous bad guys!
August 19, 2012
Absolutely terrifying documentary, almost as scary as Jesus Camp. Good god I hope Fred Phelps dies a horrible death,
June 25, 2012
The most horrifying thing is this family seems entirely normal if you ignore the Mansony bullshit coming out of their mouths. But the film does a decent job of covering the damage Westboro Baptist Church does while still analyzing the family's right to free speech.
Jennie J.
March 21, 2012
I thought this was a chilling documentary. It is hard to see a group of people who have so much hate for gay and lesbian people. The documentary covered a wide variety of issues and had a lot of facts and truth to back up their claims.
January 15, 2012
A fascinating and disturbing insight into the most hateful family in America.
November 9, 2011
Well-researched bit of documentary about one of the most heated religious bigots of this generation. This examination of Fred Phelps and his cult...ahem, I mean church, stirs as much anger in viewers as it does pity at their brain-washed children, who literally spout the same shit Phelps and his gullible flock of sheep do. The film is well made, giving us views from considerably less insane people who negate all of the half-baked notions put forth by these lunatics, essentially making them out to be what they are: CLOWN SHOES...
October 9, 2011
Ok doc about Fred Phelps
July 16, 2011
An appalling look into the mind of Pastor Fred Phelps and the misguided and distorted mission of Westboro Baptist Church.