The Price of Sugar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Price of Sugar Reviews

February 9, 2008
This movie makes me want to move to Dominican Republic and volunteer for Fr Hartley. It tells the story of how Haitian workers are exploited and subjected to racism in the sugar plantations of the Dominican Republic. Very disturbing eye-opener to this cruel form of modern slavery. Well worth watching.
January 10, 2008
For the most part, very insightful on an area I knew practically nothing about. It hits on some issues and glazes over others, which kind of bugged me, but it doesn't feel like it was done to mute one side of the issue; it feels more like there just wasn't enough time in the film.
January 14, 2012
Makes you question the sugar you put in your coffee every day with such ease...
November 2, 2010
I found this movie very difficult to watch. I found the priest very inspiring. His example of solidarity in suffering was incredible.

Switching to Fair Trade Sugar was easy. Living in solidarity with those who are suffering is much more difficult.
January 31, 2010
Muy informativo sobre la injusticia en la industria azucarera en RD
July 22, 2009
Excellent and so thoughtful.
July 11, 2009
A well done documentary on the plight of Haitian sugar cane cutters in the Dominican Republic. For anyone who eats cane sugar you must see this film. The editing is a tad choppy and the film sometimes drags a bit even for a documentary and sometimes I'm "aware" the Father's on a bit of a soap box, but hey it's slavery...can one be to preachy about that?
April 2, 2009
A very informative documentary about the human rights abuses on the sugarcane fields of the Dominican Republic. The film focuses on the efforts of a Spanish priest who devotes his life to improving human rights for DR's Haitian sugarcane workers.
September 27, 2008
I liked Molokai, maybe I'll like this.
September 13, 2008
Excellent - interesting & very compelling. Really makes you think.
½ August 31, 2008
companies like Equal Exchange have championed the importance of fair trade coffee, tea and chocolate but there are so many other items that are produced internationally by laborers who are being exploited constantly; this documentary is well done in exposing us to an item and two countries that never get any attention in US news: Haitians involved in the sugar cane industry in the Dominican Republic. Father Hartley is inspiring, and this is a must-see for anyone who cares about international human rights issues and wonders where the US gets a good portion of its sugar.
March 22, 2008
An interesting documentary narrated by Paul Newman about a priest in the Dominican Republic who takes care of Haitians working in sugar cane fields. It's powerful and has a strong message and it's at times difficult to watch.
March 12, 2008
This documentary about Haitian sugar plantation workers in the Dominican Republic is playing at Pittsburgh Filkmmakers. It's a portrait of the lives of the sugar workers and a priest who is out to make some change in those lives. Since Americans buy the vast majority of the sugar featured here, this movie is a good dose of reality. But it's only playing for the rest of the weekend! Get thee to a theater!
March 4, 2008
They left out which U.S. Sugar Comapnies Buy the stupid sugar cane from Dominican Republic??? they should have at least some numbers. also they left out how many people have died in the last whatever years.... ummm but yeah it was good...no it's time to write a paper on it BLAHHHHH
February 29, 2008
One of the best documentaries I've seen in a while. It really made you appreciate the situation and Father Christopher's dedication to his cause and the people.
February 25, 2008
all i can say is Father Christopher is very brave... for those who didn't get it, the "price of sugar", is the haitian blood spilled on Dominican Republic earth... and yes, ppl, slavery still exists!!!
November 17, 2007
maybe not a fully objective documentary but good for plenty of reasons..
February 15, 2008
Powerful. Don't ever believe that one person cannot make a difference. It's amazing what Father Hartley is doing. Makes me think twice about consuming sugar - go fairtrade!
February 9, 2008
½ January 23, 2008
...this documentary makes me want to become a human rights volunteer in the bateyes of central DR! most compelling documentary I've seen in a while