The Freshman Reviews

April 9, 2013
A clever plot that is only enhanced due to Brando's satiric presence, 'The Freshman' is an enjoyable film whose jokes may fall flat most of the time, but still exudes a charm that makes it worthy of our time.
September 14, 2011
Brando spoofs his Godfather role ... that's the draw in this light fah-gettahboutit comedy that has a small town yoot (Broderick, serviceable) visit da Big Apple for the first time --- as a film student at NYU. And what film are they studying? Try ta guess, or y'sleep wit' duh fishes, yo! Bruno Kirby is good as our tour guide, or else ... what could happen wrong? You could refuse dis offer but it wouldn't look good if you did, capeesh?
September 6, 2010
This is a zany adventure comedy with movie legend Marlon Brando and 80s teen cutie Matthew Broderick. Being a fan of both of them, I really enjoyed this movie. It's nothing new, but it is entertaining.
sanjurosamurai
January 29, 2007
one of the truly brilliant comedies of the 1990's, and already a film being grossly overlooked. ive never been a big broderick fan, but this may be his best movie, and brando's ability to spoof his own creation is admirable. the humor is fresh and the story delightful. a must see comedy.
May 23, 2007
I always try to give Matthew Broderick the benefit of the doubt since I liked him in Ferris Beuller so much, but he keeps disappointing me.
½ November 19, 2009
Aside from the above average performance from Marlon Brando, this a completely uninteresting and bland film. It is a lazy attempt at a coming of age story, that is extremely cheesy and predictable. Matthew Broderick was terrible and had zero personality.
September 23, 2009
Good fun but Brando's spoof of his role in the Godfather seemed a little ungrateful.
deano
½ August 20, 2007
Funny, charming, yet little-known comedy about a penniless student in New York who goes to work for Godfather-like figure Marlon Brando. Superb cast and a witty, offbeat script make this a delight. Surprisingly, Brando proves himself adept at comedy, spoofing his most famous role.
August 4, 2007
A good comedy with Matthew Broderick working for a real Godfather-clone (Marlon Brando). There are great scenes involving a Komodo Dragon. Bruno Kirby is great in this one.
garyX
January 7, 2007
Mildly amusing gangster comedy that probably would've disappeared under the radar if it weren't for Marlon Brando's self parodying turn as an ageing mobster.
October 26, 2006
It's not too bad if you thought Brando died too early in The Godfather and couldn't get over it for 18 years.
August 24, 2010
A comedy made for any "Godfather" fan
June 6, 2011
an innocent, and funny godfather like comedy with matthew brodrick at his best, and marlon at his greatest. A
Blaster1618
September 11, 2010
A nice comedic story that?s a perfect mental fit for Sunday afternoon with nothing to do. The movie core is strung together with a lot of clichés about Mafia, college and New York, but it is really interesting is how Brodrick, Brando and the rest of the cast unravel the clichés into something more heartfelt. Sure a lot of the exposition and humor is more point A to B, but a really enjoyed the Brodrick-Brando development and even Penelope Anne Miller, The lovely Tina, brings something to the party.
iLeo
December 20, 2007
Hilarious!
½ November 8, 2013
Funny and likable, though I didn't appreciate how much they took Jesus's name in vain. However, it seems at times that in a way the usage shows a sense of belief and connection with our Creator... it's hard to tell how they intended it.
December 20, 2009
Very entertaining, with a terrific cast. Matthew Broderick is well cast, Marlon Brando is awesome and Frank Whaley scores in a supporting role. It doesn?t always work, but it works enough for me to recommend it.
½ November 30, 2008
Dwight Armstrong, Clark's Step-father: Over there! Look!
Clark Kellogg: Dwight?
Dwight Armstrong, Clark's Step-father: Shh!
Clark Kellogg: Dwight, don't. Don't, really.
[Dwight fires his rifle]
Hunter: Hey, asshole! What are ya, nuts? You can't see the cap, it's not orange enough for ya?
[Dwight fires again]
Dwight Armstrong, Clark's Step-father: Get out of these woods!

Victor Ray: [hands Clark a fake passport] Is that a piece of work or what?
Clark Kellogg: What is this? "Rodolfo Lasparri"?
Victor Ray: Clark, I gotta tell you. The odds are pretty good we're all gonna be on a plane to Palermo, Sicily tonight, at midnight, *if* we're still walking.
Clark Kellogg: I don't want to go to Palermo, Sicily!
Victor Ray: Have you ever been there?
Clark Kellogg: No, of course not!
Victor Ray: Then you really can't make an informed judgement, can you, Rodolfo?

Clark Kellogg: But it's an endangered species!
Carmine Sabatini: Not any more. It's in New Jersey, it's fine.
½ June 19, 2008
It was alright. There a laughs and then there are moments you feel like saying "Why??". If there is nothing else to watch on the TV, including the news...this is for you.
June 15, 2007
There is some genuinely funny wit in this movie, and it is pretty entertaining, but there's also a lot of ham-fistery going on, especially when the movie is wrapping up.