The Guitar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guitar Reviews

October 13, 2010
Well, here ya go. This would be me in a nut shell if I found out that I only had 30-60 days left to live.....that is, if I didn't have kids and a husband that would have to inherit my debt. This girl totally decided to live out her dream before it was too late. I can't even imagine a better way to go out. Nice little twist there at the end. It probably doesn't hurt that I am a sucker for a decent music inspired film.
½ May 12, 2009
What would you do if on the same day you get laid off, your boyfriend decides to dump you and you are told you have cancer and only a month or two to live?

This movie presents one response. Makes you think.
February 21, 2009
I thought that The Guitar was a pretty swell movie. I usually hate movies about people who suddenly find out that they're dying, and then finally start to live their lives when their lives are about to be taken from them. But The Guitar handles this kind of a story in an organic, modernistic manner that doesn't rely on sappiness or melodrama to connect the audience to the protagonist.

Saffron Burrows does a marvelous job. Her facial expressions almost tell the story well enough to preclude any dialogue on her part. There are other fine acting jobs here, but they all drift on the periphery of Saffron's excellent performance.

It's nice to find a movie from time to time that I like despite my reservations. I'm not the kind of guy who would typically be interested in this genre of movie, but The Guitar was more than enough to get me to overlook that particular bias.
Harlequin68
½ November 25, 2009
"The Guitar" starts with Melody Wilder(Saffron Burrows) being diagnosed with inoperable cancer by her doctor(Janeane Garofalo) and given probably a month to live. To add insult to a terminal diagnosis, she is laid off and dumped by her boyfriend(Reg Rogers) in quick succession. While contemplating a shortcut to oblivion, she instead notices an ad for a short-term luxury apartment to which she sinks her savings and severance check into.

"The Guitar" is a modest movie that is buoyed by a very fine performance from Saffron Burrows. Most people with little time left to live might be inclined to travel to a sunny beach somewhere but Melody is a New Yorker and a New Yorker's perfect fantasy is a spacious apartment. And that's not the only fantasy explored here. But after a while, it becomes clear that there are only two directions this movie can go in. In the end, it chooses the wrong path which leads the story to become more preposterous as it goes on as fantasy becomes more the rule than any reality.
shitfaced8
August 16, 2011
I don't know what this movie was trying to prove, except maybe that ownership of material things is the answer to all lifes problems. Sentimental bullshit. Even a lesbian scene with Paz de la Huerta can't save this corny abomination. Sucks. That is all.
May 24, 2014
This could have been a 5 star movie. But instead....spoiler alert.........sex, and adultery is how you find a miracle? Stupidest movie i have ever seen
July 31, 2010
If you hate Sheryl Crow as much as I do, don't watch this shitty movie.

When terminal illness doesn't kill you... debt will.

This movie wasn't just bad, it was a disaster and a kick in the groin just to go through it, but in order to have this opinion I had to see it, henceforth, my review is this. Don't watch it, you'll be disappointed and feel you've been cheated out of a couple of hours of your life. It's just an insult to any terminal patient.

So, the moral of the story is if you're gonna die don't overdraft yourself with credit cos you might get afflicted by the cancer which is debt. Oh, yeah, but you'll play the electric guitar with great ability in three months... SCREW THIS!
September 7, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised. I saw the overly gratuitous cover while browsing the previously watched and noticed that it was a Sundance winner and at its heavily discounted price it was worth a look I felt.

The movie has a definite 'indie' feel to it and benefits from that approach. Yes it has some eroticism but it I found it compelling and quite moving. I really didn't find it boring or slow - I was hooked and need to know how this would end. Suspension of disbelief may be required at times but I can do that. There is an interesting moral to be read from her actions and from their unexpected results.

I don't do plot spoilers - you'll have to work that out yourself. I recommend it - you'll at least have a good conversation starter as you ponder what you would do in the circumstances.

I do look forward to seeing Saffron Burrows - she was quite enchanting, and this is a worthy directorial debut from Amy Redford.
½ September 6, 2009
A sad but touching story about how your approach to life is altered when you realize that each day could be your last. Saffron Burrows was perfect as Melody Wild and with a cast of solid supporting characters.
½ June 5, 2009
plodding. and music to match. and a great cast spread about in teenie tiny parts. and disappointment. and Saffron Burrows is no longer attractive. WAY TO GO MOVIE PEEPS
½ February 14, 2009
This was easily my favorite film of all time for about one hour. Simply because it was so hilariously simplistic. Oh, lady has cancer? Spend money on stuff, strip all of your old clothes and buy new ones, and have fun. Did you just meet a strange delivery man and a reasonably cute pizza delivery woman? Have sex with them. The only negative might be that the girl gets punched in the face once. But other than that, it will not negatively affect anyone in any way. Also, even if you are out of luck, the right band will come along at the right time to play shite music in a club at New York City. Have faith, kids.

That said, Saffron Burrows isn't bad in this and the performances aren't bad given the material. Still, I'm stunned that a movie with such a simple view of the world exists.
February 1, 2009
Painfully slow movie, a real sleep inducer. At times it is really stupid. I was not impressed with anything about the film really. The score is monotonous, the performances bland.
November 4, 2015
Quite simple scenario. Good for one evening.
August 25, 2015
i enjoyed this movie, it made me think of what it would be like to be dying, it gives you faith that there is hope and miracles can happen to some people, some survive Cancer n the illness goes while others aren't so strong. While others suffer long term hidden illnesses which is a constant battle. The message is try to live life in the moment and if somethings not working change it to have happiness or follow dreams and never give up. i love the way she got inspired by learning the guitar and finding peace with interesting beautiful objects.
October 30, 2014
I loved this movie! The message that changing your life can change your health is fabulous and life affirming. This movie was a real surprise to me.
May 24, 2014
December 23, 2012
It's a love story!! Don't ever miss this film If you love Rock music, Fender Startocaste or Marshall amps!
September 19, 2012
it wasn't quite a good a movie as i expected, but it's still a good one none the less. makes you really think about what you should do about your life when you find out that you only have a few months to live.
July 15, 2012
Very encouraging. Its telling us we should never lose hope!