Angel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angel Reviews

April 27, 2011
I really liked this movie, it's exciting, dramatic, and quirky. The story is good, and the characters interesting. On the technical side, it could be better, like some good music could be added, but it's low budgetness makes is kinda cool too. Anyway I enjoyed it.
shitfaced8
November 7, 2011
Meh, this was alright, but I can't help but feel like they weren't sure if they were trying to make an 80's teen sex / dramedy or an exploitation slasher flick. The movie doesn't really suceed at doing either, but a rather enjoyable balance is met regardless. Angel is an A student by day, but a hooker by night. When a maniac necrophiliac begins brutally murdering prostitutesm Angel takes it upon herself to seek justice. In the end not funny enough to be a comedy, not risque enough to be exploitation, to little nudity to fit properly into the teen sex genre, virtually no gore so it's not a horror movie. Really just a bizarre little footnote in the cannon of 80's cheese, but a pretty enjoyable one regardless. Definently worth a watch if you want something different, just not as good as I think it could have been . Was definently expecting a much darker comedy, and much more sleaze.
April 16, 2010
Eighties cheese combined with eighties sleaze.  A terrible, but wonderful lead performance from Donna Wilkes as Angel/Molly, a student by day, prostitute by night that you never belive for one second.  Dick Shawn as her cross dressing maternal/paternal figure is excellent, though I?ll always see Lorenzo Saint Dubois whenever I look at him with or without a dress.  An insanely entertaining insane killer has begun slicing up Angel?s workmates, and it?s up to her to take him down.  Loaded with great character actors (Rory Calhoun, Susan Tyrrell, Cliff Gorman) and awful dialogue, this is a great watch.
½ July 9, 2008
Given the cast and subject matter, you think it would suck, but the original Angel is actually perverse fun.
½ December 17, 2013
Who wouldn't kinda love a teen hooker with a heart of gold story? While our lead is less than forthcoming with the skin, which sort of surprised me for a film that promises so much sleaze, there's some agreeably gratuitous nudity peppered throughout from others, which is enough to keep things moving along.

Worth a rental.
April 22, 2012
By 1984 Roger Corman had sold his company New World Pictures in order to start his other film company Concorde Pictures. Even with his presence and infinite wisdom gone the remaining team at New World had enough experience making entertaining cult exploitation pictures to still produce likeable cult ventures, without the guidance of Corman, proved by the 1984 sleeper hit "Angel".

The name angel refers to the street name of our main character Molly Stewart (Donna Wilkes). Honor student by day, she hustles the streets of Hollywood Blvd by night to pay the bills after being abandoned by her parents. Shit turns worse when a serial killer starts brutally murdering her friends and she goes all Charles Bronson to take her revenge. Can a vice cop help her catch the killer while at the same time convincing her to get off the streets for good?

For an exploitation picture, "Angel" is relatively well made with some good actors well handled by director Robert Vincent O'Neill. Sure the dialogue and gratuitous nudity can get in the way of its story telling (imagine an exploitation film doing that?!) but O'Neill is still able to craft empathy for our main character and her questionable moral decisions to get by.

For me the best part of "Angel" is the colorful secondary characters that aid Angel in her goals and ambitions. We get Dick Shawn as the witty transvestite Mae, Susan Tyrrell as the Jewish dyke apartment manager Solly, Cliff Gorman as the respectable empathetic vice cop (with a crazy eye) and Steven M. Porter as yo-yo street entertainer Charlie. The real winner though is Rory Calhoun as Kit Carson, a loveable snile ex-western actor turned street entertainer. He totally owns the scenes that he is in.

What helps "Angel" is that it strives to be more than just merely another exploitation picture by providing the audience with empathy for our lead character, a suspenseful killer and even some good old fashioned vengeful action with likeable secondary characters. At it's heart it's still an exploitation picture with some silted dialogue and a few subplots that go nowhere (what happened to Angel's guidance counselor?) that keep it from being better. "Angel" really struck a chord with the grindhouse audiences who in turn made the film a modest hit, paving the way for four sequels: "Avenging Angel", "Angel III: The Final Chapter" and "Angel 4: Undercover".
May 17, 2007
a really great movie I watched as a teenager that shows you that you dont have it as bad as most.. really good movie
August 17, 2015
Aquí tienen un ejemplo de la basura cinematográfica que abundaba en la década de los 80. Esta es la historia de una estudiante que es ángel de día y demonio de noche, cuando se interna en el mundo de la prostitución. Salvo un personaje carismático llamada Shawn el transformista, esto ni es un drama ni es una cinta de sexploitation.
½ November 25, 2014
A really weird little movie, unabashed in its aping of DePalma. Didn't expect this to be as emotional as it is. Expected a straight-up cheesefest. Was pleasantly surprised. It's not a great movie by any stretch, but it's got parts, it really does. Worth seeing if you like bizarre, sexual, seedy thrillers.
July 7, 2014
You can't honestly judge movies like "Angel" using the same criteria as you would for say a new Martin Scorcese picture, but in terms of B-movies, this is pure cinematic gold. Sure, it's sleazy, distasteful and deals with some pretty taboo themes, but there are also some big laughs here with some priceless dialogue and a certain campy charm that you won't find in a lot of similar films.

If you need proof of that you need to look no further than the knock-down, drag-out fight that occurs between the hooker killer disguised as a Hari Krishna and Dick Shawn's aging drag queen. I don't know what's worse, Shawn's hilariously bad one-liners or the clunky choreography.

There's nothing at all fresh about the story here, the killer is given no motivation whatsoever and it leaves a slew of unanswered questions in its wake but it's so much fun I couldn't be mad at it. The cast is peppered with stars of another era past their prime, but the two most memorable actors here are Cliff Gorman, ridiculously serious as the cop on the case and the wonderful Susan Tyrell playing Angel's landlady. She gets laughs without even opening her mouth, but when she speaks, it's priceless.

I could take or leave the serial killer aspect of the story simply because it's so routine, but I was interested in seeing the fallout from Angel's hidden life getting exposed. That, to me, was the much more interesting plot development, but not enough is done with it. Still, for whatever reason, "Angel" was a solid hit. I can't say it's good, but I can say that I enjoyed it for what it is.
October 30, 2013
Text book revenge flick as teenage prostitute Angel hunts down the serial killer, who butchered her pal. John Diel is the balls in this and his Hare Krishna disguise nearly made me cough up a lung. Some really wacky characters a cowboy, a lesbian landlord and a tranny Mrs. Doubtfire lookalike street walker. Comedy gold considering the delicate subject matter.
January 3, 2013
Angel is the best of bad 80's exploitation. While its silly storyline of grade A student by day prostitute by night will not win any awards, it sets out what it meant to do: to entertain, and it does right until the grand finale. Donna Wilkes plays the lead character and does it well, she's convincing and likable. She's out for justice on the sicko who's murdering her friends, a modern day Jack the Ripper. But when one murder hits too close to home Angel is dead set for revenge. Even chasing the sicko in high heals no less with a .45 down Hollywood Boulevard. Angel is backed by decent direction and musical score but its the supporting players who are allowed to shine especailly Dick Shawn and Susan Tyrell. This is a true guilty pleasure.
½ October 26, 2010
An absurd story that is not credible and forgettable.
October 16, 2010
Sleazy and overwrought soap opera that is often hilariously unconvincing.
December 14, 2009
There is a lot in this movie. it's a great buddy picture, it's suspensful, there's a drag queen, a serial killer, prostitutes, what more could you want? :)
½ February 8, 2004
I thaught a movie about a hooker would be good well I was wrong. Bad acting and not enough nudity ruind this one folks.